This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90216 by gschmalhofer
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 pm
Ooma users,

I have been a generally happy Ooma customer for about 1 year now (Ooma Telo), since December 2010. Ooma is great, features, cost, monthly price, options...everything was really good except for what seemed to be a delay or pause in the voice conversation. I had investigated many different things in efforts to try and understand what was causing this and then to try and resolve it and it does seem that with firmware updates and other adjustments the delay had improved somewhat over that time, but it was still there. My bandwidth was typically around 10-12Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload. My setup now is cable modem--->wireless router--->Ooma Telo. I did have it the standard way previously but there was no difference in the delay.

The more I investigated it seemed like it was more and more obvious that there could only be communication in one direction at a time, only one person could talk at a time...in one direction at a time only. Which then seemed more and more like a half-duplex / full-duplex type of issue with my cable modem. I was never able to conclusively determine if the cable modem was half-duplex or not. But, I did have a very old modem, a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 which is listed as a DOCSIS 1.1 modem. The Comcast support staff did indicate that this is a very old modem and that it was showing DOCSIS 1.1, but they could not tell me if it was half-duplex or not.

At this point I did go out and buy a new Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem rated at DOCSIS 2.0 (from Walmart $61). I installed this modem a few nights ago and immediately saw a significant improvement. The configuration is still cable modem--->wireless router--->Ooma Telo. My Internet speed improved to now typically 20-25Mbps download and 4.0Mbps upload AND the voice delay is gone! I am quite pleased with the voice quality and the "normal" conversation mode of the Ooma Telo now. There is now no noticeable delay or pause and to me it does look like replacing the very old cable modem with a current Surfboard 5101 model was the difference.

I wanted to get this post out there in case it is helpful to anyone else out there with an Ooma Telo and having a "delay" type of issue. Certainly, I'm not saying this is going to apply to everyone with a delay issue, but it does seem like it was the problem with my setup and the new cable modem resolved it. So, if you are having any delay issue you should at least consider the age of your cable modem. Even if it was not specifically a "half-duplex" issue, the updated and newer modem has certainly made a big difference.

Thanks,
Greg
#90281 by FreePhone
Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 pm
I've had an SB5100 DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem for years and Ooma for a little over a year. I have been having lag issues in my phone conversations, although not to bad but still noticeable. My Internet speeds are 20Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Charter Cable just upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 and increased speeds to 30Mbps down and 4Mbps up for my package, so I may have to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and see if that helps reduce my phone lag.
#90282 by mhbill
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 am
I have Charter cable, a Motorola Surfboard 6120, DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and experienced the 'delay effect' on a phone call yesterday morning. So, don't count on the 3.0 as a solution to your problem.
#90284 by WJBertrand
Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am
Can you just go out and buy a cable modem and change out the one the cable complany provided? Any special set up involved? I've suspected that the cable companies limit speeds with their various packages but the modem they provide?
#90285 by murphy
Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 am
WJBertrand wrote:Can you just go out and buy a cable modem and change out the one the cable complany provided? Any special set up involved? I've suspected that the cable companies limit speeds with their various packages but the modem they provide?

You can buy your own cable modem but it must be on the cable company's approved list.
You then call the cable company and give them the serial number and the HFC MAC address so they can configure it into their system.
It will be programmed for the speed tier that you have subscribed to.
If it needs a firmware update they will do that also.
You own it but they control its configuration.
#90286 by WJBertrand
Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm
murphy wrote:
WJBertrand wrote:Can you just go out and buy a cable modem and change out the one the cable complany provided? Any special set up involved? I've suspected that the cable companies limit speeds with their various packages but the modem they provide?

You can buy your own cable modem but it must be on the cable company's approved list.
You then call the cable company and give them the serial number and the HFC MAC address so they can configure it into their system.
It will be programmed for the speed tier that you have subscribed to.
If it needs a firmware update they will do that also.
You own it but they control its configuration.

OK thanks. Little motivation to go and replace it then.
#90287 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm
mhbill wrote:I have Charter cable, a Motorola Surfboard 6120, DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and experienced the 'delay effect' on a phone call yesterday morning. So, don't count on the 3.0 as a solution to your problem.

Delay is broken down into two categories.
One is the delay that is on Ooma's side and only Ooma can correct. For that delay you have to contact Ooma Customer Support for correction, or it will never be corrected.

The only exception is in rare occasions that the phone(s) are defective can be replaced, and that will help. So before contacting Ooma Customer Support, try using another preferably a corded phone connected to the Ooma Hub Phone port, with all of your Wireless phone base(s) disconnected and Unpowered. Again, all of the Wireless phone base(s) in the house must have power removed, and at the same time, for this test to be accurate.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

The other is Half-Duplex Conversation. It sounds like delay but really isn't. Half-Duplex conversations can usually be corrected by making changes in the Home LAN.
Half-Duplex Conversation is where you wait to talk until the other party stops taking, or is some times called one way conversation.

Full-duplex Conversation is where both parties can talk at the same time, and hear each other clearly.

Ooma supports/needs Full-Duplex Conversation to operate properly. Half-Duplex Conversation isn't delay, but sounds like delay.

Quote from Internet: "Half Duplex or Full Duplex?? Half duplex or full duplex really effect in video & voice conversations. During voice conversation, people experience voice breakages. This problem permits due to half duplex. A full duplex modem or sound card leads to a better voice conversation. For making perfect voice conversation, the modem must be full duplex. If your modem is not full duplex or connection speed is not enough to send/receive voice messages or voice signals. Modem is said to be full duplex, when both of the modems can transmit data to each other simultaneously, the modems are operating in full duplex mode; if only one modem can transmit at a time, the modems are operating in half duplex mode." http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vid ... tion/36212 . End of Quote.

Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex. I have an old networked printer that will do this to my LAN system. Because of it, I almost never used the old printer and now have it completely disconnected from my LAN home network. To correct the problem, I have to make sure the printer is disconnected, and then reboot everything else connected to our home's LAN. The reboot of the Modem is most important.

The way to test is to connect only your Modem to the Ooma, and a Phone. Remove power from the Modem and Ooma device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device; and then test. This part of the test doesn't rule out the modem as the problem, but it does rule out everything else. If the conversations are normal, then you know that probably a device in your home's LAN is causing the Half-Duplex Conversation.

If you still are having Half-Duplex Conversations, take only your Ooma device to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their LAN setup, and preferably their phone. Hopefully they have a newer Modem. If your Ooma device works just fine at the friend or relative's home, then probably your Modem is defective or needs a reset.

If you feel that the Modem is causing the problem, sometimes a reset of the modem can be done, which will return the Modem to Full-duplex operation. Reference your Modem Manual for reset procedure. Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed while the Modem reset procedure is being accomplished.
#90405 by MacGyver
Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:36 am
Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex.

Does this occur even when connected the preferred way: Cable modem>Telo>Router?
#90407 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 am
MacGyver wrote:Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex.

Does this occur even when connected the preferred way: Cable modem>Telo>Router?

Any device on the LAN side of the modem, no matter how connected, can change the modem to half-duplex.