This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90215 by FreePhone
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:27 pm
I have a 1st Generation Ooma and been noticing greater amounts of lag in my phone conversations lately. I can understand long distance calls having some lag, but even my local calls seem to get it. I know it's not going to be like my traditional landline was, but it should be very close with current internet speeds.

I have 10 megs up and 2 megs down Cable Internet, so I doubt lack of speed is the problem. My Ooma Hub is connected between my cable modem and wireless router, so it's not effected by the router.
#90227 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 am
FreePhone wrote:I have a 1st Generation Ooma and been noticing greater amounts of lag in my phone conversations lately. I can understand long distance calls having some lag, but even my local calls seem to get it. I know it's not going to be like my traditional landline was, but it should be very close with current internet speeds.

I have 10 megs up and 2 megs down Cable Internet, so I doubt lack of speed is the problem. My Ooma Hub is connected between my cable modem and wireless router, so it's not effected by the router.

Maybe your Modem is failing?
View topics:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12763
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12924
#90265 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 pm
FreePhone wrote:I have a 1st Generation Ooma and been noticing greater amounts of lag in my phone conversations lately. I can understand long distance calls having some lag, but even my local calls seem to get it. I know it's not going to be like my traditional landline was, but it should be very close with current internet speeds.

Delay is broken down into two categories.
One is the delay that is on Ooma's side and only Ooma can correct. For that delay you have to contact Ooma Customer Support for correction, or it will never be corrected.

The only exception is in rare occasions that the phone(s) are defective can be replaced, and that will help. So before contacting Ooma Customer Support, try using another preferably a corded phone connected to the Ooma Hub Phone port, with all of your Wireless phone base(s) disconnected and Unpowered. Again, all of the Wireless phone base(s) in the house must have power removed, and at the same time, for this test to be accurate.

It is not likely that this will help (but it won't hurt), you could also try a Factory Reset of the Hub.

Hub and/or Scout factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Some people say they have to do the reset several times in a row before they have success.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

The other is Half-Duplex Conversation. It sounds like delay but really isn't. Half-Duplex conversations can usually be corrected by making changes in the Home LAN.
Half-Duplex Conversation is where you wait to talk until the other party stops taking, or is some times called one way conversation.

Full-duplex Conversation is where both parties can talk at the same time, and hear each other clearly.

Ooma supports/needs Full-Duplex Conversation to operate properly. Half-Duplex Conversation isn't delay, but sounds like delay.

Quote from Internet: "Half Duplex or Full Duplex?? Half duplex or full duplex really effect in video & voice conversations. During voice conversation, people experience voice breakages. This problem permits due to half duplex. A full duplex modem or sound card leads to a better voice conversation. For making perfect voice conversation, the modem must be full duplex. If your modem is not full duplex or connection speed is not enough to send/receive voice messages or voice signals. Modem is said to be full duplex, when both of the modems can transmit data to each other simultaneously, the modems are operating in full duplex mode; if only one modem can transmit at a time, the modems are operating in half duplex mode." http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vid ... tion/36212 . End of Quote.

Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex. I have an old networked printer that will do this to my LAN system. Because of it, I almost never used the old printer and now have it completely disconnected from my LAN home network. To correct the problem, I have to make sure the printer is disconnected, and then reboot everything else connected to our home's LAN. The reboot of the Modem is most important.

The way to test is to connect only your Modem to the Ooma, and a Phone. Remove power from the Modem and Ooma device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device; and then test. This part of the test doesn't rule out the modem as the problem, but it does rule out everything else. If the conversations are normal, then you know that probably a device in your home's LAN is causing the Half-Duplex Conversation.

If you still are having Half-Duplex Conversations, take only your Ooma device to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their LAN setup, and preferably their phone. Hopefully they have a newer Modem. If your Ooma device works just fine at the friend or relative's home, then probably your Modem is defective or needs a reset.

If you feel that the Modem is causing the problem, sometimes a reset of the modem can be done, which will return the Modem to Full-duplex operation. Reference your Modem Manual for reset procedure. Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed while the Modem reset procedure is being accomplished.
#90735 by FreePhone
Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:44 pm
My wireless phones are fine and worked great before Ooma. My SB5100 Cable Modem is full duplex. My Charter Internet speeds have now increased up to 30Mbps down and 4Mbps up. I may have to give Ooma a call concerning this issue.
#90763 by dlong
Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 am
The same EXACT thing is happening here. Ooma quality has been fine for years on this generation #1 Ooma Hub. Now suddenly, terrible lag echo has set in on my end. This happens even when leaving a message on someone's answering machine! Often, *#*#298 will stop it for a day. This was reported to support, but of course they were clueless. I have great Broadband VOIP speed/bandwidth/jitter test results. This is definitely an Ooma server issue! Don't know where to go from here.
#90780 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm
FreePhone wrote:What is *#*#298 supposed to do?

*#*#298 Force configuration sync with Ooma servers

It's the same as the Ooma device power off for 20 minutes, then power the Ooma device back on.
#90841 by dlong
Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 am
My third request for tech support help and I get a canned copy/paste reply below:

------------------------------------------------------------

We understand your frustrations. Let me further help you.

Continuously monitor your internet speed, jitter and packet loss. It would be advisable to run these tests every now and then to test broadband performance.
http://speedtest.net/
http://myspeed.visualware.com/
http://pingtest.net/
For good voice quality for VOIP, here are the recommendations:
Upload Speed: 384 kbps required, 500 kbps recommended
Download Speed: 1000 kbps
Jitter: 0 ms to 5 ms (radio quality)
Packetloss: 0%
Ping: less than 100 ms

If these requirements are not met or are having problems with any of these tests, please check with your internet service provider.

Kindly follow the steps below to configure the Quality of Service settings of your Ooma device.

1. Please uninstall the router temporarily. It is best if you can turn it off.
2. Connect your computer's Internet port to your Ooma's HOME NETWORK port with an Ethernet cable.
3. Give your computer a moment to receive an IP address from your Ooma device.
4. Open a web browser on your computer and navigate to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1.
5. Once you have completed this connection, you will be able to access the set up page to configure your system's settings. Please click on "Advanced Settings" link.
6. Under the Quality of Service, change the following field to the figures below:
a) Upstream Internet Speed: 85% of your total upload speed
b) Downstream Internet Speed: 0
7. After 3 minutes: Power up devices in a sequential order: modem first, then your router, last will be your Ooma device. Please wait until the device completely boots up before powering up the next device. Now try to make some test calls if there are any changes with regard to call quality.

If you have further questions or require additional clarification, please write me back and I will respond to you as quickly as possible, usually the same day. Your satisfaction is important to me, and I will make sure we bring this to resolution consistent with your expectations. If it’s more convenient, you can also visit our support website https://www.ooma.com/support and check out our wide variety of helpful articles that may answer any additional questions that might come up in the future.

Thank you for choosing Ooma!