This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90018 by Macoland
Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 am
I have to echo what chicagojay is saying.

Before switching to Ooma I had telephone service through my ISP which was also a VOIP setup. I never had a single problem with that setup it worked like a charm and I never had issues. The only reason I switched to Ooma was to keep from paying $30 a month for that service. So I know that VOIP has worked properly in the past.

Also, just like chicagojay, I have noticed that the jitter varies wildly. I can run the test and it will be 100ms of jitter, then 5 minutes later I can run it and get 6 ms of jitter.

Sometime in the next day or two I will go outside and check the box were the coax comes into the house. Maybe if I remove and reconnect the cable that might help. I just don't know what else to do.

As I mentioned before, Ooma worked great for a couple of months, but in the past couple of weeks things have gone downhill. I honestly don't think contacting my ISP will do any good. I have a feeling that they would just tell me to reset my modem and wouldn't do much more than that.

If anyone has any tips for talking to an ISP about this issue I would appreciate it.
#90020 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 am
Jitter (from Wikipedia)
Packets from the source will reach the destination with different delays. A packet's delay varies with its position in the queues of the routers along the path between source and destination and this position can vary unpredictably. This variation in delay is known as jitter and can seriously affect the quality of streaming audio and/or video.

When Contacting Your Intenet Provider:
When describing your problems, using the word “Intermittent” several times during the conversation are a must. The reason is that at any point in time, the Internet provider can do tests on your Internet connection and find nothing wrong. But if the problem is thought to be Intermittent, usually more in depth testing, adjustments and/or repairs will be made to cover all the Internet provider’s bases.

Very Important, if when downloading Video or surfing the web with your computer, if you notice very slight or even longer periods of stoppages, freezes or stalls of these downloads, be sure to report these problems to the Internet provider.

Last year and recently this year, my Internet connection had become unstable and I would notice Intermittent Stoppages and Freezes, when surfing the web. Along with that I noticed higher Jitter delay during certain periods of the day. After troubleshooting with another Modem to rule out that my Modem was defective, I called the Internet provider and report the problem, being sure to use, and drive home the word Intermittent. Both times, within two or three days, the problems have been corrected from the Internet provider side.
#90023 by joe123
Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am
chicagojay wrote:Jumping back in here. My jitter can be as low as <1 ms or as high as 60-70. If it were truly a hardware issue, I'd expect it to be bad consistently, but that is clearly not the case.


Not at all true. My neighborhood had just such an experience. When it rains, our entire block who at the time were using Time Warner road runner Internet service would suffer a huge downgrade in Internet performance. A few days later after the water resided, things went back to normal.

Time warner never acknowledge this because they can never be wrong, but this was the case. The rains *ALWAYS* cause bad internet service and it was the local TW hub down the street. My neighbor was able to prove this buy pouring water on the exterior box to simulate rain and bang, the entier block internet service went down hill after that.

Again, TW never acknowledged this, but they did replace a few things on that hub but it was too late as 90% of everyone left TW by then. :D I am one of the few who stuck around.

So long story short, No - it does not have to be a consitent problem.
#90479 by chicagojay
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 am
Ok, I had comcast come out. They tested all the lines and made some adjustments to the arrangement of the splitters in my home. That didn't do anything.

So, I tried getting rid of my router and connecting directly to my cable modem and rerunning tests, everything is perfect.

How do I put my router back between the ooma and the modem and configure it so that it doesn't affect the ooma? I have a netgear wndr3700 running ddwrt.

I tried the modem-ooma-router path before but that took down pretty much everything else I do on the internet. I couldn't sign into xbox live or use msn messenger video calling, nothing.
#90482 by chicagojay
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 am
I'll add that everything was perfect when my PC was connected directly to my cable modem. 1ms jitter both ways, no packet discards, 4kbps up and 28 up, consistency of service 96%.

Putting OOMA back in (modem-ooma-router) dropped everything back:
download: 17000 kbps
up: 2015
down consistency: 44
up consistency: 33
jitter both ways: 43
packed discards: 6%

When it comes to configuring quality of service, since I see such a huge dropoff (25% or more) when running tests behind a device (either ooma or my router), what speeds do I use to configure ooma?
#90483 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:47 am
chicagojay wrote:Ok, I had comcast come out. They tested all the lines and made some adjustments to the arrangement of the splitters in my home. That didn't do anything.

So, I tried getting rid of my router and connecting directly to my cable modem and rerunning tests, everything is perfect.

How do I put my router back between the ooma and the modem and configure it so that it doesn't affect the ooma? I have a netgear wndr3700 running ddwrt.

I tried the modem-ooma-router path before but that took down pretty much everything else I do on the internet. I couldn't sign into xbox live or use msn messenger video calling, nothing.

The WNDR3700 does sometimes have problems when used with an Ooma device. But once everything is adjusted properly, the WNDR3700 is one of the better routers out there for use with an Ooma device.

You might consider this path: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802
#90488 by chicagojay
Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:00 am
thunderbird wrote:
The WNDR3700 does sometimes have problems when used with an Ooma device. But once everything is adjusted properly, the WNDR3700 is one of the better routers out there for use with an Ooma device.

You might consider this path: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802



So, I havent' seen anything on the WNDR3700 and OOMA and a web search didn't turn up much. The post you referenced is to remove DD-WRT. Is the issue DD-WRT or the router?
#90492 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm
chicagojay wrote:
thunderbird wrote:
The WNDR3700 does sometimes have problems when used with an Ooma device. But once everything is adjusted properly, the WNDR3700 is one of the better routers out there for use with an Ooma device.

You might consider this path: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802



So, I havent' seen anything on the WNDR3700 and OOMA and a web search didn't turn up much. The post you referenced is to remove DD-WRT. Is the issue DD-WRT or the router?

First if it were me, I would see if I could set VoIP priority to the highest level for the Ooma Telo, in the router, using the DD-WRT configuration, and test. If the test isn't successful or if you can't set VoIP priority, with DD-WRT firmware installed, then I would at least temporarily remove the DD-WRT firmware, going back to the latest WNDR3700 regular Firmware, and test using the router in that configuration.

I’d also access Ooma Setup and change the MAC Address from Automatic to Use Built In. Set Quality of Service both Upstream and Downstream settings in Ooma Setup, to defaults or to Zero.
#91338 by pdave
Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:24 am
Thanks all for the information. I have recently noticed a severe drop in call quality. Both me and the person on the other side can barely hear; it is worse than being on a cell phone with horrible coverage. I went through this post and made all 3 changes that have been discussed on page 1 of this thread. Below are my results. Can someone help?

Download Speed: 15062 kbps
Upload Speed: 986 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 78%
Upload Consistency of Service: 47%
Maximum TCP Delay: 102 ms
Jitter you server: 0.4 ms
Jitter server you: 0.6 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2
#91339 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:33 am
pdave wrote:Thanks all for the information. I have recently noticed a severe drop in call quality. Both me and the person on the other side can barely hear; it is worse than being on a cell phone with horrible coverage. I went through this post and made all 3 changes that have been discussed on page 1 of this thread. Below are my results. Can someone help?

Your Internet connection looks good.

Try making and receiving calls with a completely different corded phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port. For this test, don't connect anything else to the Ooma Telo Phone port, only the single corded phone.
For this test, if you are using cordless phones, remove power from all of the phone base(s) that are in the house. Again for this test to work properly, remove power from all of the cordless phone bases in your home.

Please report back your findings.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests