This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89909 by murphy
Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 am
All about jitter.
It does not have a trivial cause.
The entire circuit from sender to receiver is involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter
#89912 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:23 am
thunderbird wrote:joe123:
If you run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest, you will find that this set of tests is much more comprehensive than the Ooma Setup tests. It is much easier to troubleshoot using the values given using the Phonepower Speedtest results.

An example is the jitter tests:
Jitter: you --> server: 1.3 ms.....If this reading is higher than 5 ms, in most cases it means that the user's home modem is having some kind of problem.
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms.....If this reading is higher than 5 ms, in most cases the Internet provider is having a problem, or the Internet wiring coming in from the street to the modem is defective.

joe123 wrote:Thanks for the info on the jitter server vs home explanation. However, do you really want to say that the web Jitter is better than the Ooma Jitter results?

The Phonepower Speedtest results are much more comprehensive.

joe123 wrote:A am asking because in my setup: Modem->Router->Ooma My QoS setup is 100% towards my Ooma Telo. So when I run the test from my PC using http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest it gives me much lower Jitter numbers - mosnly due to the QoS setup.

Using the Phonepower Speedtest results, you are only seeing half of the Internet connection circuit. So the
Jitter: you --> server, and Jitter: server --> you: results have to be added together to get the total jitter results for the complete circuit. If you use the Ooma Setup test, the test may give you a result of 10 ms jitter. Using the Phonepower Speedtest results, you may come up Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms & Jitter: server --> you: 9.7 ms for total results of 10 ms. But Phonepower says that the jitter values should be less than 5 ms for each of their jitter tests. So the Jitter: server --> you: 9.7 ms reading is out of limits. Using the Ooma Setup jitter test, the Phonepower Speedtest Jitter: server --> you: 9.7 ms out of limits test value is masked.
joe123 wrote:Also, for those with the Modem->Router->Ooma setup, if they have a bad ethernet cable or bad connection, the Ooma Jitter will show this while the other test you suggest would not. If I am wrong, please explain.

If using a computer connected to the Ooma device Home port, while running Phonepower Speedtest, the same Internet circuit is being tested.

I have two wired LAN cards installed in my computer. One is connected to one of my Router LAN ports, and the other connected to the Ooma Telo Home Port. This way I can test both ways, just by selecting the connection I want to use in My Network Places. Usually results of the tests are almost the same, although when using the Ooma circuit, the results are always slightly worse.

Another thing that the Ooma Setup test doesn't provide is the
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
information.

You can test and find jitter within limits, but still have Packet Loss, Packet Discards, or Packets out of Order, and with the Ooma test you will never know, but is one of the most important set of values needed for troubleshooting.
#90000 by chicagojay
Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 pm
Ok, so I've been having a miserable time with my ooma almost since day 1. Everytime I call OOMA support, or visit the forums here I see a lot of the same advice. Sometimes my test results seem to indicate a problem out of OOMA's control, such as jitter, though I don't see a coorelation in my own experience between bad voice quality and things like jitter. I've got poor call quality regardless of my speed and jitter results.

What really bugs me is I routinely use other VOIP services from the same hardware without issue. Both skype and Microsoft Lync, either PC to PC or PC to phone are absolutely fine. ONLY OOMA has an issue.

Lastly, since so many people here report jitter issues and the carrier's, particularly comcast, don't count jitter as a QOS metric to which they are held, why isn't OOMA more upfront with saying that basically, their services simply isn't compatible with one of the largest cable systems in the country? I've wasted much much more time trying to get OOMA to work than I've ever saved with the service. I'm just stubborn at this point, a saner man would have spent the extra $200 to avoid the dozens of hours playing around with something that should be plug and play, not to mention the grief I get from the wife and everybody I try to call.
#90002 by Macoland
Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:24 pm
I thought I would post an update. Since my jitter was so high, I was certain that it was related to my cable modem having problems. So I ordered a new cable modem which arrived yesterday. The results are very depressing.. :cry:

These are the results with my OLD modem:

Download Speed: 4407 kbps
Upload Speed: 2388 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 26%
Upload Consistency of Service 59%
Maximum TCP Delay 391ms
Jitter you server 109.1 ms
Jitter server you 5.9 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.4%
Packet loss: server you 0.4%
Packet discards 33%
Packets out of order 0%
Estimated MOS score 1.4

These are the results with the NEW modem:

Download Speed: 5435 kbps
Upload Speed: 2750 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 55%
Upload Consistency of Service 69%
Maximum TCP Delay 642 ms
Jitter you server 132.1ms
Jitter server you 5.6 ms
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 47.9%
Packets out of order 0%
Estimated MOS score 1.3

I am starting to get really frustrated with this whole situation. I didn't have any problems with my call quality until recently, so I am not sure what to do from here. Obviously there is a huge problem with jitter and I am not sure what can be done about it.

I made a pretty big investment when I bought my Ooma. Not only did I pay for the device and $99 premiere service, but due to issues with Ooma working with my alarm system I paid even more money for a cellular alarm system.

If there are any more ideas, please let me know as I am starting to loose hope that Ooma will ever start working again. :|
#90009 by joe123
Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:39 pm
I am sure others will have better suggestions, but as long as your Jitter is that high, you are fully guranteed NOT :!: to get good voice quality.

Ooma or any other VoIP system needs a minimal setup to work. You don't have that minimal setup.

It's like buying a car without a motor. It's not going to go very far.

Sounds like it's not your modem, but the connection between your modem and the server & lines on the other end.

P.S. Did you evaluate Ooma for 60 days before deciding to keep Ooma and buying addtional Ooma services ? Or was it working for a while before you decided to keep it and upgrade to Premier?
#90010 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:41 pm
Macoland:

Maximum TCP Delay 642 ms
Jitter you server 132.1ms
Jitter server you 5.6 ms
Packet discards 47.9%
Estimated MOS score 1.3

Your Jitter and Packet Loss and Packet discards are is very bad and won't support an Ooma VoIP system. The jitter should be less than 5ms and the packet loss and discards should be zero, which results in a low MOS score, which are normally around 4 or more.

Usually this is an indication of a defective Modem. But since you replaced your modem and if anything, things got worse, you have to look farther.

Do you have any splitters, switches, or splices in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the house?
Check for these, and eliminate, replace or repair as necessary.

Check all cable connectors in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the house. An incorrectly installed Internet cable connector, in the cable coming in from the street to the house could also cause this problem. If the cable looks old and tired, you may also consider replacing the cable.

Last your Internet provider configuration for your Internet connection profile or cabling from their facility to your home may be set correctly or is defective. Contact your Internet provider and have them check it out.
#90012 by chicagojay
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:48 pm
Jumping back in here. My jitter can be as low as <1 ms or as high as 60-70. If it were truly a hardware issue, I'd expect it to be bad consistently, but that is clearly not the case. In these situations, going back to my original reply, OOMA customers seem to be SOL, as our internet service providers don't consider jitter to be a QOS issue and OOMA defaults to the jitter argument to avoid making the issue OOMAs. And as I noted before, I'm going to have to take issue with Thunderbird's last post because that is absolutely not my experience. I can go from a horrible OOMA call to a Skype or Microsoft Lync call and have no issues whatsoever. High jitter does not universally equal an unacceptable VOIP experience, it just happens to for OOMA.
#90013 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 pm
chicagojay wrote:Ok, so I've been having a miserable time with my ooma almost since day 1. Everytime I call OOMA support, or visit the forums here I see a lot of the same advice. Sometimes my test results seem to indicate a problem out of OOMA's control, such as jitter, though I don't see a coorelation in my own experience between bad voice quality and things like jitter. I've got poor call quality regardless of my speed and jitter results.

What really bugs me is I routinely use other VOIP services from the same hardware without issue. Both skype and Microsoft Lync, either PC to PC or PC to phone are absolutely fine. ONLY OOMA has an issue.

Lastly, since so many people here report jitter issues and the carrier's, particularly comcast, don't count jitter as a QOS metric to which they are held, why isn't OOMA more upfront with saying that basically, their services simply isn't compatible with one of the largest cable systems in the country? I've wasted much much more time trying to get OOMA to work than I've ever saved with the service. I'm just stubborn at this point, a saner man would have spent the extra $200 to avoid the dozens of hours playing around with something that should be plug and play, not to mention the grief I get from the wife and everybody I try to call.

How is your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Who is your Internet provider and what kind of Internet service do you have?

Late Add: What times of day are your Jitter high?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#90015 by chicagojay
Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 am
Here you go.

thunderbird wrote:How is your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Modem-Router-Ooma. With OOMA support help, i've set everything there is to set in the OOMA settings for this configuration and also checked my modem stats, everything is in line with guidance I've seen posted here.

thunderbird wrote:Who is your Internet provider and what kind of Internet service do you have?

Comcast - Standard Performance level

thunderbird wrote:Late Add: What times of day are your Jitter high?

Can't say for sure. I've had bad jitter at all times, I've also had ok jitter at all times.

thunderbird wrote:Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: 18804
Upload Speed: 2891
Download Consistency of Service 25%
Upload Consistency of Service 89%
Maximum TCP Delay 587ms
Jitter you server 21.6
Jitter server you 23.9
Packet loss: you server 0
Packet loss: server you 0
Packet discards 3.8
Packets out of order 0
Estimated MOS score 3.6
#90017 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 am
chicagojay:
Download Consistency of Service 25%.....Is normally around 80%
Maximum TCP Delay 587ms...............Is normally 100ms or less
Jitter you server 21.6.....................Should be less than 5ms
Jitter server you 23.9.....................Should be less than 5ms
Packet discards 3.8.......................Should be zero.

All of the values above are out of limits, and it will be very hard to maintain an Ooma VoIP service.

Since Jitter You Server and the Jitter Server You are about the same, and you are having packet discards, I'd try checking the Internet cable coming in from the street to your home first.

Do you have any splitters, switches, or splices in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the house?
Check for these, and eliminate, replace or repair as necessary.

Check all cable connectors in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the house. An incorrectly installed Internet cable connector, in the cable coming in from the street to the house could also cause this problem. If the cable looks old and tired, you may also consider replacing the cable.

Next I'd replace the Modem. If it doesn't fix the problem, in most cases you can return it to the store.

Last your Internet provider configuration for your Internet connection profile or cabling from their facility to your home may be set correctly or is defective. Contact your Internet provider and have them check it out.