This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89817 by Macoland
Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 am
A few months ago I quit paying $30 a month and purchased Ooma. Since that time, I have been very happy with the call quality loved the new service. That is until recently.

Just in the past couple of weeks, call quality has declined. Normally I can hear other people just fine, but I will break up badly. I called and talked to someone a few days ago who said that I "must" be using a cell phone since I was cutting out so much. Last night was terrible as my wife was talking to her parents and they had to give up on the phone call because they just couldn't hear her, even after calling back a few times.

My Internet connection is 18 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. My setup is cable modem --> ooma --> router.

I read on these forums that setting the upload speed of QOS would help, so I set it to 2000 Kbps which was MUCH higher than the 300 or so Kbps that it was setup as before, but that made no difference. Just a few minutes ago I set it to 0, and maybe that will help.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Could this be related to a firmware update?
I currently have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, would it help if I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

I am just don't understand what changed, since everything was fine until recently.

Thanks for any help that can be offered..
#89819 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:19 am
Macoland:
Yes the latest firmware update probably has something to do with your problems.

Some thing to try:
First:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset.
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Second:
Change MAC Address from Automatic to Use Built IN.
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

Third:
(You could also try your zero Quality of Service settings, but Ooma recommends 80% for a Modem-Ooma-Router connection).
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Last:
If none of the above helps, do a reset of your Modem, reference your Modem owners manual for instructions. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed while the Modem reset is taking place, or the modem reset won't take place.
#89821 by Macoland
Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 am
With the third option you mention setting the QOS settings as 80%. What happens if I set my QOS setting too high? For example since I am using cable, sometimes the speeds can fluctuate. If I put in 2 Mbps for my upload speed, and then it slows down to 1.5 Mbps, will the Ooma malfunction or is it smart enough to know that the speed has dropped? Or is that setting just a cap do it won't use any more that the specified number?
#89822 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:51 am
Macoland wrote:With the third option you mention setting the QOS settings as 80%. What happens if I set my QOS setting too high? For example since I am using cable, sometimes the speeds can fluctuate. If I put in 2 Mbps for my upload speed, and then it slows down to 1.5 Mbps, will the Ooma malfunction or is it smart enough to know that the speed has dropped? Or is that setting just a cap do it won't use any more that the specified number?

Most important for your setup is to change your MAC address from the Automatic setting, to Use Built In MAC address. This will probably fix the "break up badly" problem.

If you set your Quality of Servcie settings somewhere between 80% & 90%, which worked previous to Firmware update 50832, I would expect that you will have very little problems using the Modem-Ooma-Router setup. You just have to try the settings and see what happens. If you continue to have problems, adjust Upstream and Downstream Internet Speeds slightly upward or downward and then test.

Probably not needed but if after you do the Ooma Factoy reset, Set MAC address to use Built In, Set QoS, and do a Modem Reset, you still are having problems,
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Speedtest Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#89823 by Macoland
Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 am
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering though, I logged on to the setup page and the MAC address is the same for built in and automatic. So why does changing that make a difference if they are the same?
#89824 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:45 pm
Macoland wrote:Thanks for the reply. Just wondering though, I logged on to the setup page and the MAC address is the same for built in and automatic. So why does changing that make a difference if they are the same?

When the MAC address setting is set to Automatic, it allows MAC address Spoofing, which can setup a confict (the Modem may/will "hunt" for otherMAC addresses) between the Modem and Ooma Device. The time the modem takes to look for other MAC addresses, may/will cause garbled voice.
#89826 by Macoland
Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 pm
Ok, I just went though all of the steps that were given above, reset my telo, etc.

I ran the speedtest a few times, and most of the numbers look ok but I noticed that the jitter was 14ms which is in the yellow zone. If jitter is a problem, what is the best way to fix that? Could that mean my modem has an issue?
#89828 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:58 pm
Macoland wrote:Ok, I just went though all of the steps that were given above, reset my telo, etc.

I ran the speedtest a few times, and most of the numbers look ok but I noticed that the jitter was 14ms which is in the yellow zone. If jitter is a problem, what is the best way to fix that? Could that mean my modem has an issue?

Jitter should be less than 5ms.

Doing a reboot on the Modem is the first thing to do. When I traveled in China earlier this year, to get a good a Internet connetion with low enough Jitter, I had to reboot the Modem and Ooma Telo together up to 20 times. Test for Jitter readings of around 5ms, after each of the reboots are completed, until you achive an exceptable Jitter reading. After I got acceptable Jitter readings, everything worked fine. Make sure that there are NO or ZERO lost packets.

If that doesn't help, it could be a marginal Modem. Do a Modem Reset, reference the Modem owner's manual.
#89829 by Macoland
Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:18 pm
From what you are saying, it seems that jitter is based on a relationship between the Ooma and the modem. Is this something that should be constant?

I have run the speed test about 5 times, and jitter has ranged from 6 ms as the low, and 20 ms as the high. There are 0 lost packets, but the jitter issue is concerning to me.