This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89807 by lite1
Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:24 pm
Been up and running for 7 days and am considering porting number as call quality has been very good (similar to my current land line), yet I have concerns after reading some of the posts on call quality problems - will call quality last? Please cut my learning curve and offer your experience and thoughts.

My setup is simple (cable modem; Ooma Telo; wi-fi router) and a recent model Panasonic cordless handset. Also connected to router are laptop, and at times flat panel with Netflix. No other computers used, and only occasionally connect Smartphone via wi-fi. My ISP has pretty consistent QOS numbers, and speed is also fairly consistent even at peak usage hours. While I know that there are no guarantees, and that future firmware updates might create problems while attempting to solve others ones, but wonder whether it is generally true that people who have very good call quality from day one are most likely to continue to have that experience 6 months or a year in to the future?

Other than going through activation of Ooma I have not used the advanced page and done any tweaking of the default settings following the principle that if it isn't broken then ...

So particularly those of you who have been on this forum for a long while what do you think my odds are of continuing to have a good experience?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I had been with Charter Communications and was often doing speed tests and etc. Moved to provider with fiber optic lines a year ago and have never had to think about all of that stuff again. Currently, typical up/down speed is 2.46/3.24 Mbps 91% QOS 132 ms RTT 1ms max pause 30ms ping 2ms jitter 250/250 packets sent/received

edited to add what other hardware connects to my wi-fi router to give a more complete picture.
#89808 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 pm
lite1:
Many of Ooma's recent problems have come about because of expansion, such as adding new servers, adding Wi-Fi as an alternate Internet connection, adding Ooma Canada phone service, etc. It appears that Ooma has resolved the various problems related to Ooma's growing pains. Ooma has seemed to have brought most of their overall network and other problems under control.

But Ooma, for some people, still has My Ooma Feature Setup problems, Black List/Privacy problems, International Calling Accounting problems, also Ooma Mobile problems, (added) Fax problems and Ooma Telo Handset problems that continue, and have existed as long as I have had Ooma phone service. Most of these problems are more of an annoyance than real problems.

I would suggest for you, (if you are not using the Wireless Wi-Fi Internet Connection) to access Ooma Setup, Internet tab, and change from using Automatic MAC address to Use Built In MAC address. After that change, I would expect little or no problems for you, when using your current setup over an extended period of time.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#89818 by WJBertrand
Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 am
I've been running Ooma for about 4 months now and call quality has been and remains good. I have had the annoyances of the blacklist settings changing or resetting spontaneously. Other than that, my wife complains occassionally that other callers hear occassional DTMF tones when she's talking to them. I noticed recently when talking to her from work on her cell phone that the tones happen there too. May not be completely and Ooma thing.

My set up is modem (Time-Warner Cable) -> telo -> Router -> whole house. Our house phones are mostly older Panasonic cordless but I have one old GE Slimline hardwired in too.
Last edited by WJBertrand on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#89827 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 pm
WJBertrand wrote:Other than that, my wife complains occassionally that other callers hear occassional DTMF tones when she's talking to them. I noticed recently when talking to her from work on her cell phone that the tones happen there too. May not be completely and Ooma thing.

In this case the DFMF tones are caused by your wife's voice.

Have your wife turn down the audio volume slightly on the phone that she uses.

I was having that same problem last week. I turned down the phone audio volume from full volume, lowering the handset volume by two bars. So far the DTMF tones have not heard from that time on.
#90037 by FX4
Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:16 pm
When I installed my system everything was great, then Ooma gave me a code update and things went south for a while. I opened a ticket and they worked on my issues. I can say for well over thirty days now my Ooma has been rock solid. Honestly I don't think anybody could tell I'm using a voice over IP system.
#90766 by lite1
Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:58 pm
Thanks for all the replies. About to port my number. Forum is a life saver, and from my limited exp. much better than contacting Ooma directly especially Live Chat. Since I will have a pretty "vanilla" and basic use for Ooma with not many bells and whistles, I expect that I will exp. only an occasional annoyance.
#90792 by actonweber
Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:58 pm
lite1 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. About to port my number. Forum is a life saver, and from my limited exp. much better than contacting Ooma directly especially Live Chat. Since I will have a pretty "vanilla" and basic use for Ooma with not many bells and whistles, I expect that I will exp. only an occasional annoyance.

Be careful. I had pretty good results for five months (other than one main server outage for a few hours in August) but now everything has gone south on me. I have a similar setup to yours and as of a few days ago we can not make any calls to any other number that uses our local ISP (there is only one) for VOIP. Which is everyone in our family. Don't bother calling their customer service - total waste of time. If I can't get help to fix it in a few days on these forums my OOMA is going in the trash.