This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89578 by ladysman
Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 am
I’m about at the end of the road lately with my ooma Telo. I don’t use the home phone but of course, my wife and kids do. It simply is unusable right now. It’s been fine for a while with some kinks here and there over the last couple of years. In the last 6 weeks+ I’ve heard nothing but complaints from the family. We can’t receive or even make calls. I’ll reboot the Ooma and it works for a period of time (Less than a day). You answer a call and it’s immediately disconnected. Dialing out, nothing happens.

My setup is Comcast cable on a 30mb down and 4mb up connection. I have no other issues with internet at all. My tests I’ve done from links in the forum show I’m in great shape. No packet loss and extremely low jitter.

The network setup is Modem (SB6120) > Router (Asus RT-N16 flashed with Tomato firmware)> Ooma Telo

Like I said, it’s been fine with an occasional reboot fixing the problem. I checked last night and I’m on the latest firmware. I rebooted it again last night and it worked when I tried it on 2 calls to my cell. Today it’s dead again as of about an hour ago.

Any suggestions? :?

I should note that one of the ooma settings i read is "Use Built-In". It's already set to that as I changed it a long time ago.
#89580 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 pm
I'd check how your Ooma behaves when it is connected directly to the modem. Maybe do a modem->ooma->router config for a day or 2 to see what happens. If all works well, got to dig into why router is messing it up.

Here are optimal setups:

Before the router: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
After the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403
#89581 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 pm
ladysman:
Unfortunately I had this problem also yesterday.
I did the 20 minute power off, and then restart without any help.

Then I used the prefix *98 for dialing out, which worked.

One thing to test and report back to the forum is to temporarily connect a computer to the Ooma Telo Home port. Make sure you can access the Internet ( http://www.google.com ). At one of the times when you can't call out or inbound calls won't ring the Ooma phone system, try accessing the Internet (Google). Then with another computer connected to one of the Router LAN ports, see if you can access the Internet (Google). Please report your findings here in this thread.

When I did this test, I could access the Internet (Google) connected to my Router, but couldn't access the Internet (Google), connected through my Ooma Telo, when I couldn't make outbound calls.

I have noticed that others are having this problem just lately, so probably the best advice is to contact Ooma Customer Support and report you problem, so that Ooma Engineering can find a solution. The test results that I suggested, should be included, if the Internet can't be accessed through Ooma, when an outbound or inbound Ooma call fails to connect.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#89592 by ladysman
Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 pm
lbmofo wrote:I'd check how your Ooma behaves when it is connected directly to the modem. Maybe do a modem->ooma->router config for a day or 2 to see what happens. If all works well, got to dig into why router is messing it up.

Here are optimal setups:

Before the router: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
After the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403

That simply isn't possible at my house, not even for 30 minutes. it's been working fine with ZERO changes in my network configuration. Like i said, starting 6 weeks ago ish, it's been flaky

I didn't add any ports to forward, just did that, powered ooma down for 30 minutes and it actually seems worse. It takes 30 seconds to even make a local call out and long distance calls do not work.

Furthermore, when i dial, there is no ringing which i just noticed, it just sits there.

I guess i'll email support as their phone support is next to useless on the few times i've had to use it. Don't the engineers monitor this forum? Obviously not all the time but they have to be seeing this.

Prefix *98 did nothing for me. I simply don't have time to keep messing with this.
#89595 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:24 pm
ladysman:
Some other things that you can try.

If you could find time you could try a factory reset of the Ooma Telo:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Next:
Also their is a reset button on your SB6120 Modem. It takes about one half hour. Reference your Modem Owner's Manual for the procedure.

Next:
The last thing that might help is to assign a permanent IP address, with a permanent lease, in you Router for the Ooma Telo.
#89600 by ladysman
Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:10 pm
thunderbird wrote:ladysman:
Some other things that you can try.

If you could find time you could try a factory reset of the Ooma Telo:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Next:
Also their is a reset button on your SB6120 Modem. It takes about one half hour. Reference your Modem Owner's Manual for the procedure.

Next:
The last thing that might help is to assign a permanent IP address, with a permanent lease, in you Router for the Ooma Telo.

Just started the reset.

I already have the Telo on a static IP address.

I've heard conflicting information on the QoS settings in the telo. I'm behind a router so should these be set to 0?
#89608 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:50 pm
ladysman wrote:I've heard conflicting information on the QoS settings in the telo. I'm behind a router so should these be set to 0?

Since the latest Ooma Telo firmware update, I haven't heard what is working best yet.

Ooma Suggest Ooma Setup Quality of Service set to Zero for both upstream and downstream Internet speeds, when the Ooma device is connected behind the router.

But previous to the latest firmware update, setting these settings to about 90% of the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest worked better for some people.

You just have to test and see what works best for you.

Besure to still report your problem to Ooma Customer Support. I like the e-mail method best.
#89620 by ladysman
Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:09 pm
I wanted to say i did a complete reset per THunderbird and i'm back to normal as of now!

I will for sure keep this thread updated if something happens and how long i was in the good life again. :D