This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89252 by Clark75115
Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:31 pm
This has probably been talked about on this forum, but I am confused. I'm not sure if I have a duplex problem or not.

When I am having a phone conversation and I start to talk while the other end is talking, their audio is broken up. Now it seems to me that this may be a half-duplex problem. But all the postings I read talk about delay and echo, not broken audio.

I have read the process to eliminte different parts of your network, but I never get a dramatic change. Can someone offer some advice so both ends can talk at the same time.

Setup
Modem>Ooma>Router
Motorola SB6121
Ooma Telo Version: 49339
Router: WNR2000 V3
#89254 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 pm
Clark75115:
What you described is called Half-Duplex Conversation. This is where you wait to talk until the other party stops taking, or is some times called one way conversation.

Full-duplex Conversation is where both parties can talk at the same time, and hear each other clearly.

Ooma supports/needs Full-Duplex Conversation to operate properly. Half-Duplex Conversation isn't delay, but sounds like delay.

Quote from Internet: "Half Duplex or Full Duplex?? Half duplex or full duplex really effect in video & voice conversations. During voice conversation, people experience voice breakages. This problem permits due to half duplex. A full duplex modem or sound card leads to a better voice conversation. For making perfect voice conversation, the modem must be full duplex. If your modem is not full duplex or connection speed is not enough to send/receive voice messages or voice signals. Modem is said to be full duplex, when both of the modems can transmit data to each other simultaneously, the modems are operating in full duplex mode; if only one modem can transmit at a time, the modems are operating in half duplex mode." http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vid ... tion/36212 . End of Quote.

Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex. I have an old networked printer that will do this to my LAN system. Because of it, I almost never used the old printer and now have it completely disconnected from my LAN home network. To correct the problem, I have to make sure the printer is disconnected, and then reboot everything else connected to our home's LAN. The reboot of the Modem is most important.

The way to test is to connect only your Modem to the Ooma, and a Phone. Remove power from the Modem and Ooma device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device; and then test. This part of the test doesn't rule out the modem as the problem, but it does rule out everything else. If the conversations are normal, then you know that probably a device in your home's LAN is causing the Half-Duplex Conversation.

If you still are having Half-Duplex Conversations, take only your Ooma device to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their LAN setup, and preferablely their phone. Hopefully they have a newer Modem. If your Ooma device works just fine at the friend or relative's home, then probably your Modem is defective or needs a reset.

If you feel that the Modem is causing the problem, sometimes a reset of the modem can be done, which will return the Modem to Full-duplex operation. Reference your Modem Manual for reset procedure. Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed while the Modem reset procedure is being accomplished.
#90219 by gschmalhofer
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:58 pm
Check the age of your modem. I just posted about my very old cable modem and that when I replaced it with a newer cable modem the voice quality was improved dramatically and the delay was gone. I went from a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 (DOCSIS 1.1) modem to a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 (DOCSIS 2.0) modem.

FYI,
Greg
#90229 by murphy
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:50 am
If either end of a conversation is using a consumer grade speakerphone the conversation will be half duplex.

A commercial grade speakerphone that can put audio out of its speaker while accepting audio into its microphone and not create a feedback squeal is very expensive.