This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#88939 by fjrichman
Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:28 pm
I've noticed lately in the past week or two, that anytime I get or place a call with Ooma that unless the internet is completely unused by anything else the quality of the call drops, I'll hear mechanical sound within the call, people on the other end report that I'm cutting in and out making it impossible for them to understand me.
My Bandwidth is 7Mb/s Down and .72Mb/s Up but if anything for any reason starts uploading even if the amount is something as small as .10 Mb/s the quality of the Ooma call drops horrendously, despite the fact there's still plenty of bandwidth to be used within the call.
My Ooma is setup on the other side of a Wifi Bridge:
Modem --> Router --> Wifi --> Router --> Ooma

On the second router I've turned off anything like firewalls, filtering, anything I could think of that would interfere with the connection and possibly the sound quality.
On the first router I've tried with both QoS on and off and messing with other settings but despite any changes I make to the setup any sort of noticeable upload not made by the Ooma itself for the call will basically kill any sort of decent call quality. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Preferably without spending extra money or having to move the Ooma into a completely different room.
#88940 by murphy
Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm
I asume the WiFi is on 2.4 GHz.
Are you using a cordless phone that is also on 2.4 GHz?
#88947 by fjrichman
Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:39 pm
Probably, but I don't think it's an interference issue as when the phone is in use there's no disconnects or drops of the internet but if I actually try to use the internet for say limited speed torrents, uploading something, the issue becomes apparent.
#88949 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:51 pm
fjrichman wrote:I've noticed lately in the past week or two, that anytime I get or place a call with Ooma that unless the internet is completely unused by anything else the quality of the call drops, I'll hear mechanical sound within the call, people on the other end report that I'm cutting in and out making it impossible for them to understand me.
My Bandwidth is 7Mb/s Down and .72Mb/s Up but if anything for any reason starts uploading even if the amount is something as small as .10 Mb/s the quality of the Ooma call drops horrendously, despite the fact there's still plenty of bandwidth to be used within the call.
My Ooma is setup on the other side of a Wifi Bridge:
Modem --> Router --> Wifi --> Router --> Ooma

On the second router I've turned off anything like firewalls, filtering, anything I could think of that would interfere with the connection and possibly the sound quality.
On the first router I've tried with both QoS on and off and messing with other settings but despite any changes I make to the setup any sort of noticeable upload not made by the Ooma itself for the call will basically kill any sort of decent call quality. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Preferably without spending extra money or having to move the Ooma into a completely different room.

fjrichman wrote:Probably, but I don't think it's an interference issue as when the phone is in use there's no disconnects or drops of the internet but if I actually try to use the internet for say limited speed torrents, uploading something, the issue becomes apparent.

When using a wireless bridge, most people have problems with VoIP devices like the Ooma Telo, but many do this with success.

If your second Router (the one that your Ooma and computers are connected to) provides VoIP priority, you could set VoIP priority for the Ooma Telo, reference your Router manual. If your are doing your downloads using a computer connected to the first in line Router, you may have to set VoIP priority in the first in line Router also.

If it were me, I'd just purchase the Ooma Telo USB Wireless Wi-Fi Adapter Price: $49.99, https://my.ooma.com/products, and I believe your problems would be over. I use the Ooma Wi-Fi dongle and its great.
Set VoIP priority for the Ooma Telo in the first in line Router. Set Quality of Service settings to Zero in Ooma Setup, accessed with using a network cable temporarily connected from the Ooma Telo Home port to a wired LAN port of a computer, with Wi-Fi temporarily turned off in the computer. Reboot the computer, then type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. (If you have QoS problems, set Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Down Stream Internet speeds to 90% of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest .)

See https://my.ooma.com/products for the Ooma Wi-Fi dongle.
#88964 by rmeden
Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:58 am
I used to use a setup similar to yours.

Keep in mind the Wireless bridge cuts Wireless bandwidth in half for a wireless client on the other side of that bridge. (has to repeat everything), but I doubt that's your problem. (Although keep in mind that even *LOCAL* traffic could easily saturate your WiFi network and cause problems)

I suspect the problem is Router1 not giving preference to Ooma traffic for your .72M upload.

Does router1 offer any QOS setting that could prioritize the Ooma traffic?

The best setup is Modem -> Ooma -> Router1 ........ that way Ooma has first dibs on all bandwidth. You may also be able to get the same effect with QOS, but that won't protect you from WiFi saturation (and increased latency).

Robert
#89093 by fjrichman
Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 am
I've been trying to get QoS working, and I think it's partially working, however, I'm still finding that when I'm running a torrent or something overall call quality drops immensely to the point it's unusable.

This is happening even if I'm only using a fraction of my internet. For example uTorrent is set to cap downloads at 50KB/s which is well below 7Mb/s yet incoming sound is just horrible, robot voice, mechanical sounding. Also when I'm uploading even if the uploads are crawling along at 2KB/s far beneath the .72Mb/s I'm told by others that my voice is breaking up and they can't understand me. I kill torrents it's mostly fine, I've noticed lately that the first few seconds of each call without torrents is really poor quality too and I get the occasional blip of mechanical sounding even when there's absolutely nothing else running on the network.
Placing it between the router and modem is rather inconvenient since the modem/router are in a completely different room from the one I spend the . This would make accessing it, or using the actual telo a pain as I would have to go to that room to check messages, charge the cordless phone I'm using etc.

I've run some tests and I'm noticing about a 100ms increase in jitter when running torrents, going to try and sort this out, and hopefully that'll clear up the issue.
#89095 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 am
fjrichman:
As at least a solution to part of your problem:
Contact Ooma customer Support and see if they will "push" advanced firmware version 50832
for you as has been done for others, see topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12690 .

Be sure to tell Ooma Customer Service that you are having the Robotic Voice issue. Also you must talk to Customer Service, Customer Support (2nd Level) for this to happen.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#89118 by fjrichman
Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm
I'm going to try and fix a slightly wifi instability I've noticed where the wireless rate drops down to numbers like 0.001kb/s hopefully once I get that situated most of my issues will be dealt with.