This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90253 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:59 pm
OomaGirl wrote:And BTW *98 and *96 do not work for me at all. After I dial them I get the fast busy. *99 works but the call quality seems worse.

Only *99 works for the Ooma Hub, *98 & *96 are for the Ooma Telo.

Some more ideas:?
First:
If you are still having dropped calls, when you are surfing the web, do you notice that sometimes your web browser stalls then starts again. If your web browser is stopping, then that same stop could cause an Ooma phone conversation disconnect. This symptom could be a Modem or Internet provider signal problem.

Second:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

Third:
Maybe your Modem is causing the problem? Look at your Modem Owner's manual and see if you can do a Reset of the Modem. Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily disconnected while the Modem Reset is being done, for a successful Modem Reset to occur.

Forth:
You could try the Hub and/or Scout factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Some people say they have to do the reset several times in a row before they have success.

Fifth:
Last even though you have tried this before, try it again.
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. I have had to do this procedure up to three times in a row for it to be successful for some problems.
#90254 by OomaGirl
Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:09 pm
Maybe I'll try the factory reset.

When I had the Ooma errors, I had recently reset my modem and router (for other reasons).

I think it's not mostly the internet provider, but maybe a fraction of the time it is. I rarely have any problems when surfing, downloading small to large files, streaming tv/movies for hours and hours. Yes, when I make a call, I stop any downloads.

Already posted some stats before in this thread & others, but here is the full data:
Download Speed: _____2.92 Mbps___________
Upload Speed: _____331 kbps___________
Download Consistency of Service ___92%_____
Upload Consistency of Service ____99%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ___110 ms__________
Jitter you server ___.3 ms_______
Jitter server you ___1.2 ms______
Packet loss: you server___0.0%____
Packet loss: server you __0.0%____
Packet discards ___0.0%______
Packets out of order ___0.0%______
Estimated MOS score ___4.2_____
#90307 by OomaGirl
Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm
Now I am having brief disconnections with other internet downloads and surfing, so I guess it is my router or modem. Or internet provider, but more likely my modem or router. I may have to replace one of the devices. Maybe Ooma is not dropping the calls. I am not sure.
#90317 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 pm
OomaGirl wrote:Now I am having brief disconnections with other internet downloads and surfing, so I guess it is my router or modem. Or internet provider, but more likely my modem or router. I may have to replace one of the devices. Maybe Ooma is not dropping the calls. I am not sure.

Recently I had some problems with my Inernet provider momentarily stalling or stoping like you discribe.

I called them and they did some magic from their end and the stalling and stopping seens to have stopped, and everything seems fine now; except that twice I've woke up in the morning to find both of my Ooma Telos flashing red.

If the Ooma Telo flashing read continues, I will have to do some more testing to see what's really happening?
#90330 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 am
OomaGirl wrote:I get a dialtone just fine and it dials and then just silence, no ringing.

This behavior is consistent with an Ooma that just lost internet connection (didn't have enough time to start flashing red yet).