This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#88330 by joe123
Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 pm
FX4 wrote:All of the sudden this afternoon my call quality has become good again....

Someone in your area just purchased a new Ooma and Ooma upted QoS (Quality of Service) on Ooma servers for your area for 3 months. After the 3 months eval period, QoS will go back to normal for both you and the new customer :D

Seriously, I don't know but I have always felt this. It happen when I bought Nettalk ( another VoIP ) and it was great during their eval period and then like magic, the Voice quality went down hill quickly. :?
#88349 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 am
If this really is the issue, I think Ooma should just charge 5.00 a month for the service and buy more server capacity/bandwidth. It's still cheaper over the long run than paying a conventional phone bill.
#88358 by joe123
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am
FX4 wrote:If this really is the issue, I think Ooma should just charge 5.00 a month for the service and buy more server capacity/bandwidth. It's still cheaper over the long run than paying a conventional phone bill.

In all fairness, non of us know and I don't want to start a rumor. Having said that, I work in this field and it would be trivial for me to setup such an automated system where certain Ooma packets get priority over others. So new Ooma devices would get the higher priority and then slowly decrease priority with time ( slowly done to avoid the suddent decrease ).

I too am for a nominal fee 5.00/month to keep the Quality of Ooma on top. Maybe their $9.99/month for the Premier service is their way to get that money. Would be interesting to see what percent of customers are Basic / Premier.
#88362 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:57 am
I have spent years in telecommunications too. I don't disagree with anything you are saying. Honestly I don't know exactly what has caused the recent issues with Ooma. My gut experience tells me they are / were trying to squeeze bandwidth.
#88365 by joe123
Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:13 am
FX4 wrote:My gut experience tells me they are / were trying to squeeze bandwidth.

Yes this is notorious in the Networking world but it is never talked about.

Sprint (which I have for 20+ years) is notorious for doing this. They also take it a step further. My great working phone would all of a suddent became worthless and extremly slow when new Sprint phones became avaialble.

As a company (Ooma, Sprint, etc) they can and as you say, "squeeze" in more customers (bandwidth) without having to add a single cent to new hardware.

I honestly believe that this is a never ending game for all network providers where price / quality is being constanly manipulated. If the quality degrades too much, customers will leave. If the cost of the service is too high, customers will also leave. So it's a never ending game and one I am sure they have at least a set of full time people dedicated solely to managing how good / bad the quality of their network performs.
#88375 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:39 pm
Well all I can say is I'm kind of getting tired of this. As much as I am a geek I really just want a low cost good sounding phone system. VoIP is pretty much a proven technology at this point and it should just work. In the last month I have gone from good, to robotic, to voice clipping, to good, and back to robotic sounding. Honestly this just isn't rocket science. I'll give it another 30 days then this thing is going back to Costco if this issue isn't resolved. It's one thing if I agree to be a beta customer and another if I am the beta customer. I know these guys have the technology, when I first plugged the thing in, it sounded great. I dumped Packet8 for similar issues. My son's Vonage just works.
#88388 by joe123
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:16 pm
If you have the time and energy to play a couple of tests, you may want to buy another Ooma from Costco and try it out from a neighbors house and compare the voice quailty. If it's good, then try it from your house using the same network.

1) If you get bad voice quality, then return both Ooma.
2) If neighbors is good, then you have narrow it down to a good/bad Ooma, good/bad network.
3) If it's not your network provider service at your house, then it's what we are talking about - prefered packets (QoS) for new Ooma subscribers :D
#88389 by WayneDsr
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm
Not sure about your theory. I've had an ooma hub since 2009 and always had land line quality over all. Eventually bought a Telo and had a few issues with the quality as they progressed. Right now the Telo quality is as good if not better than the hub.

Wayne
#88390 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:46 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Not sure about your theory. I've had an ooma hub since 2009 and always had land line quality over all. Eventually bought a Telo and had a few issues with the quality as they progressed. Right now the Telo quality is as good if not better than the hub.

Wayne

I am of the same situation so somewhat puzzled with the Mr Roboto topic.