This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87995 by Kennemax
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 pm
I'm having the problem more frequently now as well. Does not matter whether call comes via POTS, VOIP, and/or cell phone....same issue randomly occurs on received voice....starts going "Mr. Roboto" at some point, either at beginning of call or at some point into call. I have tried calling the party back and get the same issue. Only a power off/on reboot seems to fix the problem for a few days....and then, back to Mr. Roboto.
Quite frankly, this is stupid and unacceptable. I'm going to try and return the unit to Costco if possible and go back to digital phone through my cable provider or increase my cell phone plan minutes. Looked promising, but this is too much of a hassle. Did all of the stuff.....positioning between modem and router, setting to internal IP address, bandwith adjustments, etc.....all to no avail...and no, I will not resort to dialing prefix #s.
Frustrating that the manufacturer releases these devices before assuring that the hardware/technology is stable. We consumers just become Beta testers.
#88052 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 am
Information Only:
I was on the phone this morning and for the first time had Mr. Roboto visit me!

I use a Modem-Router-Ooma Telo setup. About a week ago I changed my Ooma Setup Quality of Service Internet Speed settings to 10,000 Kbps, from 7000 Kbps, for both the Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings.

After a hang-up and a call back, I could talk to the other party again, but the voice quality wasn't clear.

I went into Ooma Setup and set the Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to 80% (as some other Ooma users has suggested) of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by Speedtest Phone power. After a Modem, Router and Ooma reboot, the QoS during a phone call to the same party was still poor. No Roboto though.

Next I went back into Ooma setup and set the Upstream and downstream settings to 90% of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by Speedtest Phone power. During the next test call to the same party, the voice quality drastically improved, back to the excellent voice quality that we normally have.

I will report if I have any more changes or problems with Mr Roboto.
#88054 by hardwaremonkey
Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:42 am
I have done all the bandwidth changes and reboots. Plus, I received a personal message from an Ooma employee, who made a temporary patch on my Telo (which lasts only until reboot). It is the same as having a *98 before every phonecall (incoming or outgoing).

Since this hack, I have not heard Mr Roboto.
#88055 by hardwaremonkey
Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 am
thunderbird wrote:About a week ago I changed my Ooma Setup Quality of Service Internet Speed settings to 10,000 Kbps, from 7000 Kbps, for both the Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings.

After a hang-up and a call back, I could talk to the other party again, but the voice quality wasn't clear.

thunderbird wrote:I went into Ooma Setup and set the Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to 80% ... the QoS during a phone call to the same party was still poor. No Roboto though.

thunderbird wrote:I went back into Ooma setup and set the Upstream and downstream settings to 90% ... During the next test call to the same party, the voice quality drastically improved, back to the excellent voice quality that we normally have.

Voice quality degredation and improvement? Huh? This thing only requires like 384 up/down (and actual measured use is less). I have never noticed voice quality going down.

Do the *98 for outbound. That seems to be working well.
#88056 by hardwaremonkey
Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 am
Kennemax wrote:I'm having the problem more frequently now as well. Does not matter whether call comes via POTS, VOIP, and/or cell phone....same issue randomly occurs on received voice....starts going "Mr. Roboto" at some point, either at beginning of call or at some point into call.

That is Mr Roboto. He appears regardless of whom you are calling.
Kennemax wrote:Only a power off/on reboot seems to fix the problem for a few days....and then, back to Mr. Roboto.

That worked for me once or twice. But I have done a reboot to find he has returned only minutes later. The reboot seemed to be more coincidental that anything.

Do the *98 for outbound. Ooma will fix this. It seems they did a major coding overhaul to accommodate a certain kind of connection (was it cell phone?) and somehow introduced a bug to some units.

I think it would be most helpful for people to report their Part number to help Ooma programmers debug. Mine is 110-0102-300 Revision A. Perhaps most of the Telo's have this number. If that is the case, we may want to report the serial numbers...

BTW, read my other message. Mr. Roboto seems to be gone for me for now, due to a hack applied by an Ooma employee that does a *98 permanently for inbound and outbound. I am told that if I reboot, it will go away. Seems to me that an easy temporary fix/update for users would be for users to be able to control this setting locally.
#88066 by FX4
Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:47 pm
I agree with you, I should be allowed to permanently set the G711 codec which solves the mechanical voice problem for me.
#88687 by hardwaremonkey
Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:04 pm
This post is a bit redundant to another, but I believe it is helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an update. My Telo is still on 49339.

I had an Ooma employee really help out. He said:
I think there may be an issue with the Telo's redundancy algorithm for certain connections. I've disabled the redundancy algorithm on your Telo. Can you let me know if you continue to hear robotic voice on your calls?

Mr. Roboto has gone away as a result. We have had some audio drops (which we have not had before which sound like a system freeze) but they are few and far between, and I am not convinced that it was not something we were doing on our systems at the time.

So, does the new firmware help? I do not know. But if not, I think this should be a GOOD lead for Ooma as to what the real problem is. [My MajicJack Plus is sitting around almost unused as we keep our Ooma]
#88709 by Caromelo1
Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:24 am
Is Ooma doing anything to correct this, I haven't been able to make a call since the upgrade occurred.
#88710 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 am
Trial firmware version 49977 or later, sent out to testers and some people that had this problem, seems to help, but it might have brought on other problems, so probably Ooma is still working on this issue????

See veiwtopic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12608

Update:
My International calling issues seem to have been cleared up as of today. Note: Although I reported the problem to Ooma Customer Service, I received no reply from them, either way.

It is important to continue to report your problems to Ooma Customer Service, because in some cases the problem is an individual problem, and won't be corrected unless you do report your problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
#88756 by case4grace
Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:20 pm
Has anyone had any improvement in Mr. Roboto? We just started experiencing it in the last several weeks, and it is so bad we basically cannot use our phone anymore and have to use cell phone for all calls. I am desperate for answers as we do not have a huge calling plan, and going over our minutes is going to get expensive with two teenagers in the house! :x