This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87675 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 am
Bobby B wrote:I'm not sure how it was working before, but I don't think NBAR will work because the control signaling is encrypted in the Ooma VPN and the voice traffic will using different outbound ports.

You could just setup your class-map to match on the priority based on the dscp value in the IP packets. This works well as long as you don't have anything else in your network updating to the same dscp values. For example:

class-map match-any ooma_traffic
match ip dscp 46
match ip dscp 26

dscp 46 is used for tagging voice packets and dscp 26 is used for tagging VPN packets.

After you have the policy-map applied to the interface, verify it's working by doing a "show policy-map interface <int>" and you should see the counters for the above incrementing.

FX4 wrote:Well I will say this much. This firmware version is just bad for my setup all over the place. The sound quality is now awful.

Bobby,

I provided a screen capture of it working above. I do not disagree with you at all. I was surprised it worked, but it did. I am running video and Skype in the network but I can certainly try your suggestion. I really need to break out wireshark to see if anything else is matching a dscp of 46 or 26.
#87676 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 am
Bobby,

Okay what I did was this:

class-map match-any CCP-Voice-1
match dscp ef
match protocol rtp audio
match protocol skype

class-map match-any CCP-Signaling-1
match dscp af31
match protocol h323
match protocol rtcp
match protocol sip
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
policy-map CCP-QoS-Policy-1
class CCP-Voice-1
set dscp ef
priority percent 15
class CCP-Signaling-1
set dscp cs3
bandwidth percent 5
class CCP-Routing-1
set dscp cs6
bandwidth percent 5
class CCP-Management-1
set dscp cs2
bandwidth percent 5
class CCP-Transactional-1
set dscp af21
bandwidth percent 5
class Bittorent
police cir 500000
conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
violate-action drop
class class-default
fair-queue
policy-map CCP-QoS-Policy-2
class class-default
shape average 2600000
service-policy CCP-QoS-Policy-1

It seems to be working but my question is, what is the dscp 26 (af31) used for? signalling?
#87677 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am
Okay I have QoS working again for the standard codec but the call quality is still pretty bad so my conclusion is it has to be the firmware version. When I pull the G711 codec the call quality is good. My call quality was good prior to this firmware version.
#87679 by Bobby B
Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:16 pm
FX4 wrote:It seems to be working but my question is, what is the dscp 26 (af31) used for? signalling?

VPN traffic (the tunnel with which the signaling traffic travels) uses dscp 26.

FX4 wrote:When I pull the G711 codec the call quality is good. My call quality was good prior to this firmware version.

I'll send you an email to get some more info on your calls.
#87717 by hackerguy
Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am
thunderbird wrote:
hackerguy wrote:"Calling Automated Phone numbers:
I called using our Ooma Telo. Both calls went through, but were very slow connecting, with difficulty, and poor voice quality.
But when I dialed *96-1-901-476-4648# or *96-1-901-840-4100# both calls went through promptly with good voice quality."

I did as you suggested and 901-840-4100 goes through OK. 901-476-4648 still does not work. It is the automated number for the local Walmart pharmacy.

Try dialing *98-1-901-476-4648#

(The hash (#) mark behind the number speeds up the dialing or get rid of most of the pause.)

It would also be a good idea to report this problem to Ooma Customer Support so that everyone won't have to use "work-arounds":

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

I contacted customer service via email and they suggested I try dialing *99 before the number. I did that and it solved the problem. They said that would be a temporary fix.
#87802 by FX4
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:16 pm
Ooma support rolled my firmware version back and the call quality returned. Hopefully Bobby was in consultation with whoever performed the rollback.