This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87560 by FX4
Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:36 am
I was set up and running well then I got the 49339 firmware update and my router's NBAR stopped recognizing Ooma's voice calls. It doesn't see the voice or signalling. It was working earlier this week and I have a screen shot of the QoS working. I thought NBAR stopped working but a quick check with skype and dialing *98 proved it is working. It's the new firmware is causing a problem. When I go to the G711 codec NBAR picks the QoS for voice but no signalling. What changed with this release?
Last edited by FX4 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#87564 by FX4
Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:59 am
BTW: I now have echo in the line when I did not before.
Is it possible for my account to be pinned to the G711 codec?
Is it possible for me to be rolled back to the previous firmware version?
#87566 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:27 am
FX4 wrote:I was set up and running well then I got the 49339 firmware update and my router's NBAR stopped recognizing Ooma's voice calls. It doesn't see the voice or signalling. It was working earlier this week and I have a screen shot of the QoS working. I thought NBAR stopped working but a quick check with skype and dialing *98 proved it is working. It's the new firmware is causing a problem. When I go to the G711 codec NBAR picks the QoS for voice but no signalling. What changed with this release?


FX4 wrote:BTW: I now have echo in the line when I did not before.
Is it possible for my account to be pinned to the G711 codec?
Is it possible for me to be rolled back to the previous firmware version?

For you Cisco Router not sensing the Ooma Telo for QoS, that's strange. I wonder if all of your Router settings are correct or something changed? Maybe a router setting has changed, and that may be why you are having echo also???

For the echo, (these are temporary fixes until Ooma figures out and corrects what is wrong):
If you dial *99 before the number called for Ooma Telo & Hub, often you may have echo.

For the Telo, you can try dialing *98, *96 or *82 with, so far, no reported echo.

Example: *82-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.
#87567 by FX4
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:39 am
Thanks Thunderbird, my first thought was NBAR was not seeing the calls (working) but a test with both Skype and *98 before an Ooma call shows Qos and NBAR is working. I'm happy to post screen shots of the calls. I'm also happy to post my QoS config.
#87568 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 am
FX4 wrote:Thanks Thunderbird, my first thought was NBAR was not seeing the calls (working) but a test with both Skype and *98 before an Ooma call shows Qos and NBAR is working. I'm happy to post screen shots of the calls. I'm also happy to post my QoS config.

So from your data, it appears that Ooma has changed something. Maybe you should contact Ooma customer Support and question them.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Also did you search the Cisco site for your problem?

Be sure to let us know what you find out.
#87569 by FX4
Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 pm
Well I did call them. Only level one working today. They told me I need level 2 or 3 and they had never heard of this problem before. Yes I searched Cisco for this first because I originally thought it was a problem with NBAR. However given that I can pull the G711 codec and skype as a voice call I doubt it's NBAR. I'm not saying it's not the problem but my tests indicate it's not.
#87574 by jhphone
Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm
thunderbird wrote:...
For the echo, (these are temporary fixes until Ooma figures out and corrects what is wrong):
If you dial *99 before the number called for Ooma Telo & Hub, often you may have echo.

For the Telo, you can try dialing *98, *96 or *82 with, so far, no reported echo.

Example: *82-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.


Wow!

I tried *96-303-909-0003 (the "echo" number) and the echo was very short.

Without the *96 (or *98) prefix there was the usual Ooma-trademark long delay. I didn't do a record/Audicity-measurement because the reduction is so noticeable -- probably one third the delay.
#87610 by FX4
Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am
Well I will say this much. This firmware version is just bad for my setup all over the place. The sound quality is now awful.
#87616 by Bobby B
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 am
I'm not sure how it was working before, but I don't think NBAR will work because the control signaling is encrypted in the Ooma VPN and the voice traffic will using different outbound ports.

You could just setup your class-map to match on the priority based on the dscp value in the IP packets. This works well as long as you don't have anything else in your network updating to the same dscp values. For example:

class-map match-any ooma_traffic
match ip dscp 46
match ip dscp 26

dscp 46 is used for tagging voice packets and dscp 26 is used for tagging VPN packets.

After you have the policy-map applied to the interface, verify it's working by doing a "show policy-map interface <int>" and you should see the counters for the above incrementing.

FX4 wrote:Well I will say this much. This firmware version is just bad for my setup all over the place. The sound quality is now awful.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests