This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87495 by hotot
Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:37 am
I have a solid 30 meg down 5 meg up internet connection.

I can run speed test all day long and that is what it pulls.

As soon as I am on the phone it drops to between 12-15 meg down and 0.12 Up (if it can even connect to the speed test server). What gives? I would think my connection is plenty fast that it would not need all that band width? Makes using the computer and talking on the phone very hard.

Modem -> Ooma -> Router

Setting from ooma

Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 384 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0 (0 to disable)

Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 130 (default)

I have never had any problems with call quality. What should I try? Thanks
#87497 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm
hotot wrote:I have a solid 30 meg down 5 meg up internet connection.

I can run speed test all day long and that is what it pulls.

As soon as I am on the phone it drops to between 12-15 meg down and 0.12 Up (if it can even connect to the speed test server). What gives? I would think my connection is plenty fast that it would not need all that band width? Makes using the computer and talking on the phone very hard.

Modem -> Ooma -> Router

Setting from ooma

Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 384 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0 (0 to disable)

Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 130 (default)

I have never had any problems with call quality. What should I try? Thanks

II remember reading somewhere that testing with Speedtest, while on the phone, through the Ooma device isn't accurate.

If you aren't having any problems with the phone conversation, and you can download large data files on your computer while talking on the phone, don't worry, don't do anything.

But if you are having LAN device problems while on the phone, try setting the Upstream Internet speed to Zero and test. If that doesn't work set it to 4000 Kbps and test.

If you still continue to have problems, you could temporarily connect Modem-Router-Ooma, and see how you like this connection. Normally for this connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily to make Ooma Setup adjustments.
The Upstream and downstream QoS settings are set to Zero.

I have my Ooma Telo connected behind (to the LAN side of) my router, without any problems at all.
#87953 by nkamk
Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm
For this problem contact the internet service provider,
After that check your internet speed through this site www.scanmyspeed.com , it has the best results for the internet speed test and also you can downloaded for my internet without any flash or java or any other add ons to check the speed everyday.............it shows the right level of speed................