This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87814 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:59 pm
DTR wrote:So the device doesn't reboot after the firmware upgrade????? How can it do that and not require a reboot to come up and run on the new firmware build?

I'll try it anyway. Thx

The difference is the 20 minute Ooma disconnect wait.
#87827 by hardwaremonkey
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm
thunderbird wrote:Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Thanks for the suggestion. It did not help :cry:

The ooma iperf results are showing ample bandwidth (1+ Mbit), and iperf test on our servers show the same.

Visualware is showing tests that are capable of VoIP:
Download speed 2181 Kbps
Upload speed 854 Kbps
D/load COS 77 %
U/load COS 75 %
RTT 40 ms
RTT Consistency 83 %
Max Delay 133 ms
Avg Delay 17 ms
Max Bandwidth 2960 Kbps
Route Speed 13107 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 1.3
Download test s
Upload test s
Test Bandwidth Speed
#87834 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 pm
hardwaremonkey wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Thanks for the suggestion. It did not help :cry:

The ooma iperf results are showing ample bandwidth (1+ Mbit), and iperf test on our servers show the same.

Visualware is showing tests that are capable of VoIP:
Download speed 2181 Kbps
Upload speed 854 Kbps
D/load COS 77 %
U/load COS 75 %
RTT 40 ms
RTT Consistency 83 %
Max Delay 133 ms
Avg Delay 17 ms
Max Bandwidth 2960 Kbps
Route Speed 13107 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 1.3
Download test s
Upload test s
Test Bandwidth Speed

Max TCP delay should be 100 or less.
How about jitter and lost packets? When using http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest those item will be shown after clicking the advanced tab.

What are the problems that your are experiencing now? It it still the robotic voice or garbled voice or???
#87887 by FX4
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 am
I'm back on 47785 for a few days now and have the following observations about audio quality:
ooma telo ---> pots: audio quality is good
ooma telo ---> cellular service: audio quality is mostly very mechanical sounding (I think a lot of people are calling it robotic)
ooma telo ---> other Voip solution: This is the same as cellular service but worse.
All this being said it's still better than 49339. I think you guys are trying to compress bandwidth down too much and it's showing up in audio quality. Ooma isn't much of a solution if audio quality suffers. May I suggest you allow the G711 codec to be permanently set for premium customers, only because every time I have tested the G711 codec audio quality is on par with pots. That is something I'm wiling to pay for monthly.