This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87122 by FX4
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:01 am
I have read through just about everything regarding QoS on the support forum and Ooma support. I have an advanced configuration and I'm still left with a lot of questions.

I'm using a Cisco 881 router. My home network runs voice video and data. I use a VPN to get to my work computer while traveling so putting Ooma inline in front of the router to achieve a high QoS level is out of the question. Also given that our network is used for television and at times large file transfers I need to police on the ingress of the network to ensure the voice calls always come through. Further complicating things I use Skype for my business phone and to video chat with family scattered all over the country. Given my requirements which I don't think are all that unique these days and will become more and more common it seems to me that Ooma should develop a comprehensive QoS guide so that setting up a network like mine is easy rather than days of reading and still going hmm... I mean I don't think I should need to sit with a packet sniffer to figure out works and what does not.

Does Cisco NBAR recognize calls made with Ooma? NBAR is the best QoS solution for my setup because of Skype but I need to know if it will properly see calls from Ooma. I saw one post from an individual that is using it.

If I set up up QoS on Ooma is it setting the QoS bits or is it just shaping on the egress Ethernet port?

What should my policing policy be to protect my voice traffic?

What codec does Ooma use?

What are all the ports used by Ooma exactly? I mean signaling and voice (I read the QoS thread, but it kind of died before it came to a conclusion). Are some port connections just used for things like voice mail? A comprehensive list would be really nice.

I would also like to see a working example of an outbound and inbound ACL for Ooma traffic.

Thanks,
Ron
#87130 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 am
FX4:
Here is some of the answers to your questions:

Ooma suggests that you turn off Quality of Service settings in Ooma Setup, by setting upstream and downstream Internet speeds to Zero, if the Ooma device is connected (behind) to one of the router LAN ports. Than if your router provides VoIP priority, the Ooma device IP address is reserved with a permanent lease, in the router, and then the router VoIP priority is set for the Ooma device's IP address.

Ooma uses iLBC (default codec).

Ports:

This is what Ooma lists for ports, but I have never believed the list is complete.

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports

More Information:

Star Commands

*15, *16, *17, *18, *19 - Call number using Bluetooth headset 1,2,3,4,5
*06, *06, *07, *08, *09 - Intercom with Bluetooth headset 1,2,3,4,5
*67 - Do Not Send Caller ID
*69 - Return last call
*70 - Disable Call Waiting Tone
*82 - Send Caller ID
*91 - ????
*96 - Use iLBC Codec
*97 - ????
*98 - Use G711 Codec w/o Fax mode
*99 - Data/Fax call

*#483 - Google Voice

*#*#001 - Speak the current Telo Version
*#*#191 - Unregister all handsets
*#*#501 - Bluetooth Discovery
*#*#511 - Turn off Telo key press sounds

**0 - Line1
**1 - Line2

dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset
#87134 by FX4
Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:37 pm
Thanks for the information Thunderbird. I found most of what you posted already but you did give me one valuable bit of information and that is to turn off QoS if I'm sitting behind the router. Kind of tells me they are shaping rather than setting Qos bits. The other thing is the G.711 codec is recognized by NBAR so that helps.
#87316 by FX4
Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 am
Setting up QoS behind the firewall turned out to be easier than I ever imagined possible. The big thing was turning on DiffServ and Setting DSCP to EF. Added a policing (rate limiting) to traffic that can be disruptive to voice. Reserved bandwidth for voice calls and everything works flawlessly. I even put up three HD video streams and bittorrented something or other while on a phone call not one Hiccup in an hour long phone call. This thing rocks!