This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87056 by frustratedvoipuser
Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 am
Comcast has already been out and tried a different modem. The modem is a brand-new Docsis 3.0 Motorola Surfboard.

I also have a buddy in Palo Alto who uses Ooma successfully. Does that prove that my configuration is to blame?

Alan
#87059 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:33 am
frustratedvoipuser wrote:I also have a buddy in Palo Alto who uses Ooma successfully. Does that prove that my configuration is to blame?

I think so. Try tear down/rebuild of your Ooma VPN tunnel to see if that helps (power off your Ooma for at least 20 minutes and then back on).
#87119 by FX4
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:30 am
frustratedvoipuser wrote:The big problem with these metrics is that they are just snapshots in time. The jitter I just measured on a Sunday afternoon is repeatedly less than 5 ms, download speed above 10 mbits and upload greater than 2 mbits. So what? On Tuesday evening when my wife needs to make a call at 4:30 PM it's unusable cause the jitter is 50 to 250 ms.

There's no issue with my modem, nor with my cables or splitters. Technicians have been out to my house twice. I can access the modem details and the signal quality and SNR are fine.

Alan

This sounds like an over subscription issue on the local loop. You need to have the techs look at traffic on the aggregation router/switch when you are actually seeing the delay. You probably have neighbors doing something like bit-torrent and video watching. What does your packet loss look like when the jitter goes way up? Got some kids in the neighborhood that like to bit-torrent? In your own house?
#87123 by frustratedvoipuser
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am
I'm not sure how the logistics can work here. These issues aren't predictable, and instruction Comcast technicians to monitor at a specific time sounds hit or miss.

If the problem is caused by local traffic, what settings/adjustments can Comcast implement to ensure low jitter?

Thanks,
Alan
#87124 by FX4
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 am
No it's really not. The thing is, you need to convince comcast there is a problem, then they will put monitoring equipment on the aggregation point for your neighborhood (local loop). I really suspect in your case reading all of this that you have some teenagers in the neighborhood bit-torrenting or some other high bandwidth application causing an oversubscription problem at the aggregation port. It's the time of day that makes me think this. You just need to prove it some how. Also get to level 2 or level 3 support. The level 1 people that answer the phones tend to be brain dead or new to the industry. If they have an oversubscription problem comcast can see it. You just need to tell them to look.
#87174 by WayneDsr
Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 am
Have you tried moving Ooma behind the router? Plugging Ooma into the router as you would any pc?

Make sure you power cycle the modem, router and ooma (in this order) after you change the setup.

Wayne
#87178 by amarryat
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 pm
frustratedvoipuser wrote:Your suggestions are great. I'll follow-up with Comcast and ask them to monitor the line.

Thanks,
Alan

Can you switch providers? Not really sure what the jitter is all about, but I just tried it here with that phonepower link, and mine was 0.2ms. I have FIOS here. And BTW, the phonepower upload results don't reflect my actual internet speed - they came in much lower.
#87196 by michaelhaws
Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm
I have the same problems and I too believe it to be a comcast issue. I'll be interested to hear if you have any luck getting comcast to agree it is there problem.