This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86913 by fstheoh
Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:00 am
I am new to ooma and I just installed it about four days ago. Unfortunately, out of the gate, the voice quality is extremely bad. It's unusable. I use netgear DG834G. I read in many posts that perhaps the problem is with netgear products. With this in mind, can anybody suggest any modem that works with ooma?

I use ATT DSL, so I am just wondering whether 2WIRE modem or Motorola AT&T modem will work with ooma.

What DSL modem do you use that works with ooma (without doing much debugging hopefully)? Any suggestions?
#86914 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:54 am
fstheoh wrote:I am new to ooma and I just installed it about four days ago. Unfortunately, out of the gate, the voice quality is extremely bad. It's unusable. I use netgear DG834G. I read in many posts that perhaps the problem is with netgear products. With this in mind, can anybody suggest any modem that works with ooma?

I use ATT DSL, so I am just wondering whether 2WIRE modem or Motorola AT&T modem will work with ooma.

What DSL modem do you use that works with ooma (without doing much debugging hopefully)? Any suggestions?

Below are some suggestions that should help:

One (To see if your Modem is performing properly):
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Two:
How do you have you home LAN configured? Do you have your Netgear DG834G Modem/Router first, then the Ooma device, then another router connected after the Ooma device?
If you have another router connected behind the Ooma derive, and nothing connected to the Netgear DG834G Modem/Router except the Ooma device, you could turn off the firewall in the Netgear DG834G Modem/Router. This action should greatly improve your Ooma performance.

***Or***

If you don't have a router connected behind the Ooma device, you could reserve an IP address for the Ooma device in the Netgear DG834G Modem/Router, then place the Ooma device's IP address the Netgear DG834G Modem/Router's DMZ. This action should also greatly improve you Ooma performance.

Three:
If your connection is Modem/Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem/Router. When the Modem/Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Four:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#86946 by fstheoh
Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:55 pm
Download Speed: ________652kbps________
Upload Speed: ______327kbps__________
Download Consistency of Service ____99%____
Upload Consistency of Service ___99%______
Maximum TCP Delay ______20ms_______
Jitter you server ____0.1ms______
Jitter server you ____3.5ms_____
Packet loss: you server____0%___
Packet loss: server you _88.4%_____
Packet discards ___0%______
Packets out of order _____0%____
Estimated MOS score ___1_____

Do you think any problem with the data above?
#86947 by fstheoh
Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 pm
Two:
No router behind Ooma. But I try to turn off the firewall with no improvement.

I have tried to reserve an IP address in this case 192.168.0.4 and it did not improve anything.
Then I try to couple it also with DMZ with no improvement.
When you say DMZ, do you mean DMZ in the netgear or DMZ in ooma advanced setting?

I tried to use 192.168.04 on DMZ on netgear and it made things worse. I did not get any dial tone because of this.
I tried to put 192.168.0.4 on DMZ on ooma and ooma does not allow me to put this number since it is out
of the IP range number of ooma which is 172.27.35.xyz.

Three:
I tried this step also with no improvement.
#86949 by fstheoh
Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:45 pm
I just realized based on reading certain websites that my packet loss of 88.4% is a big deal.
Do you think this is a problem with the modem/router? such that I have to buy a new one?
or
Do you think this is a problem with the ISP provider? I use AT&T and perhaps AT&T purposefully
block the VoIP capability perhaps?
#86950 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm
fstheoh:
Packet loss: server you _88.4%_____ Should be zero!
Estimated MOS score ___1_____ Should be 4 or better.

Packet loss: server you _88.4% is terrible. This reading should be zero. This is your problem. People have replaced their modem when the reading was 5%.

It appears that you have a defective modem, or the Internet cables coming in from the street to your house are defective. Do you have any splitters located in the Internet cable coming into the house to your modem? If there are splitters installed in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the Modem, there could be a problem with the splitters, or at their connections from the Internet cables to the splitters.

First you could reboot your modem, then run Phonepower Speedtest again to see if you have improvement. Some modems have batteries installed in them. If your modem has a battery installed, temporarily remove the battery while rebooting. Try it for several times and check with Phonepower Speedtest each time.

If there is no improvement, I would purchase a new modem and try it. The modem that you purchase must be compatible with the Internet provider's DSL service. Ooma is compatible with almost any modem in current use today. If there is no change you can always return the modem, but the new modem will probably fix the problem. If replacing the modem doesn't fix the problem, you will have to your Internet service provider to check/repair/replace the inbound from the street to your modem Internet cables.
#86951 by jblock312
Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:08 am
I too have att dsl, and recently bought a new modem/router made by actiontec. It has a modem, 4 port ethernet switch, and wireless router all in one unit. It is model gt724wgr and cost $60, including shipping.
Setup is really simple. All I had to do was put in user name and password and it connected right away. Best of all, Ooma works even better with this than my old motorola/trendnet combo.
This model has wireless, but there is one available without.
#87003 by fstheoh
Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:36 am
Thank you guys for the discussion.

It is encouraging to know that ATT does not block the VoIP capability and somebody was able to use ooma on
ATT DSL.

Finally, I also was able to get my packet loss order down to 0.6% from 88.6%.
The problem was in the modem/router, the netgear, DG834G v4. Fortunately, it was not the hardware
rather the firmware as shown on these two sites:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/ ... xEaw%3D%3D and http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=42436

To my own excitement, netgear did say that it has problem with " inbound audio when using VoIP phones could be garbled".
I installed the new firmware and walah... ooma works just like that without doing anything else.

Thanks again for the help and discussion! Problem Solved! Huh Finally :)
Cheers :)