This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86845 by wpc09
Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 am
I have just started using Ooma and I am pleased with call quality to landlines and to/from my daughter's cell phone (614 area code). However, calls to and from cell phones in my local calling area - 202, 301, 703, 571 - tend to be garbled, packets dropping in the middle of sentences, delays of a couple of seconds. Any thoughts on what to do to improve this?
#86854 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm
wpc09 wrote:I have just started using Ooma and I am pleased with call quality to landlines and to/from my daughter's cell phone (614 area code). However, calls to and from cell phones in my local calling area - 202, 301, 703, 571 - tend to be garbled, packets dropping in the middle of sentences, delays of a couple of seconds. Any thoughts on what to do to improve this?

There are a few things that you can try.

Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Setting your Ooma Telo MAC address to Use Built In, may not help in your case, but I've never heard of it causing any problems, and changing this setting has helped many, many people.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.
The current version of Ooma Telo firmware seems to have some problems. The latest firmware version, that I believe is being tested, and one person reported recieving, is Firmware Version: 49027.

If you don't have firmware version 49027, you may want to wait for it to be pushed out to you by Ooma. I have no idea when this will happen, but probably will be soon. Firmware version 49027 is expected to help with a problem like yours.

If you don't want to wait, you could try adjusting you Quality of Service in Ooma Setup.

Setting Quality of Service for a Modem-Ooma-Router setup only:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#87109 by wpc09
Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm
Tried everything you suggested. Still having diminished quality - breaking up and echo of my own voice - when I talk to my son's area code 202 cell phone.

Firmware is 47785. Any thoughts?
#87116 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:42 pm
wpc09 wrote:Tried everything you suggested. Still having diminished quality - breaking up and echo of my own voice - when I talk to my son's area code 202 cell phone.

Firmware is 47785. Any thoughts?

Try using a different phone, preferably a corded phone, with nothing else connected to your Ooma device phone port.
If you are using a cordless phone system, remove power from the cordless phone base for this test.