This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#89436 by BJN2
Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 pm
3. Worse than my land line. Getting close to 1 and cancelling my service.
#89438 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 pm
BJN2 wrote:3. Worse than my land line. Getting close to 1 and cancelling my service.

Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

Ooma Telo Firmware Update 50832 was being pushed out during this past week and also next week. Fixes are:
Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]
Adjust Touch Panel sensitivity for REW/STOP/FF keys on some Telos [10274]
Fix additional issue having to do with robotic voice on certain Internet connections [11849]
Fix issue where myooma stops showing new call logs after the telo receives caller-ID containing "&" [11978]

If you have Ooma Telo firmware version 50832 and are still having problems, post those problems here in this thread, and someone will give your some suggestions to help with your problems.
#89442 by Charles R
Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm
thunderbird wrote:If you have Ooma Telo firmware version 50832 and are still having problems, post those problems here in this thread, and someone will give your some suggestions to help with your problems.

I think everyone appreciates your helpfulness but I don't think it's required in this thread. As I stated when I created it it's strictly for expressing one's experience of their call quality. This way visitors can easily browse through a variety of experiences without getting off topic. I tried to set up a poll but for some reason they aren't supported here.

I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of other threads looking for solutions that one's seeking such will find.
#89466 by joe123
Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am
I ~think~ it would be helpful to all if when stating your voice quality, you can also say what Internet Service speed you.

Without internet speed, it's worthless since Ooma depends on the Internet connection.

Also helpful would be if the Ooma is behind or in front of the router when using a Router.
#89470 by Charles R
Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:59 pm
joe123 wrote:Without internet speed, it's worthless since Ooma depends on the Internet connection.

Also helpful would be if the Ooma is behind or in front of the router when using a Router.

I have found my Telo uses very little bandwidth regardless of how it's configured. Installation wise performance has been identical whether in front of the router or not. So I don't think you can draw any conclusions based solely on the above.

Of course any number of factors can affect their call quality. This is more or less measuring the end result regardless of how they got there... they still got there and it's reasonable to expect others will as well.
#89471 by joe123
Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm
Charles R wrote:I have found my Telo uses very little bandwidth regardless of how it's configured.

Latency or dropped packets can make a huge difference in voice quality.

Bandwidth is not the only issue. Yes, you need a minimum amount of bandwidth but that is only the start. Kind of the first minimum requirement of around 3 requirements.

If you have say a huge bandwidth going both ways and you are dropping packets, voice quality will suffer immensily.

I should have said that it would be great if people here ran the Ooma UDP test (found under Tools->Protocol->UDP) and post the reported bandwidth AND JITTER results along with their vote of voice quality. Running other VoIP tests and posting results would be even better.
#89486 by Charles R
Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:31 am
joe123 wrote:I should have said that it would be great if people here ran the Ooma UDP test (found under Tools->Protocol->UDP) and post the reported bandwidth AND JITTER results along with their vote of voice quality.

I understood your point however I think you have glossed over mine. Again, there are thousands of other threads where thousands of variables can be related, tweaked, debated or whatnot.

Regardless of how their installation was configured or even its environment their satisfaction level is what it is. Knowing why and how they got there is important under many circumstances but not this one. :) The moment you try to analysis the why you are losing the forest for the trees (based on this premise). The forrest being how happy are people with their call quality. If 98% are happy (regardless of the above) you probably have a good chance of being happy too.

It's attempting to measure the user experience not understand why it is what is or improve it. Based on any amount of volume the odds are pretty good it will be a good reflection of what one can expect. I know when I was researching the various options I could only find a couple of professional reviews. Visiting forums all you saw was various issues and others trying to explain them away or saying they didn't exist. It was very hard to determine an expectation level.

Once again I understand some people goof up their installation, have lousy Internet access and other untold variables... I'm just guessing a good percentage of future users will as well.
#89488 by rmeden
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 am
It would be nice to see statistics on latency and dropped packets in setup.ooma.com pages.

Robert
#89507 by joe123
Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:38 pm
Charles R wrote:Once again I understand some people goof up their installation, have lousy Internet access and other untold variables... I'm just guessing a good percentage of future users will as well.

It is a complicated issue. Prior to Ooma, I tried Majic Jack and returned withing 30 days. Very unreliable and not good voice quality.

Next I bought Nettalk and kept it for about 2 years with not good results. Bad voice quality and lots and lots of other issues, problems and headaches. I worked with Nettalk "engineers" for months and at time I felt like I was a test bed for them. I also used the Nettalk forums and with little to no help. I then tried Ooma with my same home network I had with Nettalk and bang - Ooma has worked great for us. I should add that I cannot use my Internet much as the Ooma voice quality degrades when using both Ooma and heavy Internet use, but overall Ooma has worked out wonderful for us.

Who the hell knows what is going on, but for me using my same Internet provider, modem and router, Ooma has worked great while Nettalk did not.