This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#88589 by jdrake4
Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:41 pm
I give it a 1.5.
This is my third VOIP provider.
1st one AT&T stopped doing VOIP 4
2nd one Phone Power Give them a 4 -- Left for better price
3rd OOMA --Mr Roboto -- now my wife is ready to kill me

Configured as Cable Modem -- Rooter -- ooma Telo

Mr Roboto is only on inbound voice, so it is using my download speed which is great than 3 mbps.
Upload speed is only 440 kbps, but the person i call never has an issue.

Fixing MAC address to :Built-In" and turning off the Qos on the ooma has not helped at all

I also notice that my router (An Asus RTN16 with Tomato USB firmware) has been rebooting ever day or so, I have never had an issue before and it used to be up for months at a time, not sure this is related to OOMA or not.

Tomato firmware has WOS with OOMA set to highest priority, I have tried it with it on and off still have MR Roboto...
#88592 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 pm
jdrake4:
It seems strange that with your Ooma connected behind or downstream of your Router, that it would effect the Router with self induced reboots?

Trial firmware verson 49977 or later version, will probably correct your problems. Maybe if you report your Robotic problem, they would also push the trial version of software out to you also. I don't know if they would do this, but it's worth a try? In any case it's important to report your Robotic voice problems to Ooma Customer Support.

See Topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11626&start=120

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#88599 by richalger
Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:36 am
I am going to quote a previous post

When I initially bought ooma: 3
Right now with the Mr. Roboto voice issue: 2.3
#88601 by joe123
Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:05 am
For those of you with not so good voice quality, can you please say if your setup is:

Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem-Ooma-Router?

If it's Modem-Router-Ooma, can you change it to have Ooma before the Router and see if the voice quality helps?
#88911 by Charles R
Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:10 pm
When I started this thread I gave Call Quality a 2.75 and it went downhill shortly afterwards and stayed that way for a couple of months. Since then I have had to replace my unit and it behaved the same as the previous unit. However recently call quality has been noticeably better. Can't say whether it's newer firmware, changes to my QoS settings or a full moon. :) I did changed my upstream/downstream QoS settings to 90% of the Internet bandwidth.

During the last couple of weeks calls haven't been embarrassing. Not nearly the lag, break-ups and overall closer to what one would expect. Previously, I planned on punting after a year or so (once I got my investment back) but now it I'll keep using Ooma if things stay the same. I'm now above my original 2.75 and getting close to 3.0... still not terrific but at least now I'm not dreading the phone ringing.
#88973 by Pro154
Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:22 am
My family in NY has bumped up their speed to 5mb and our calls have been close to perfect. Still get the odd dial tone but the quality issue has greatly improved. All my other calls are great as well.
#89352 by Sunflowers
Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 am
Call quality is surprisingly bad. I had previously had VoiceWing (Verizon's VoIP), which they discontinued. VoiceWing's quality was a definite step down from standard Verizon phone service, but it was acceptable. Ooma's voice quality I am not so sure about. I have tried the Telo with three different phones, including an old corded phone, and the quality is no good. My "test subjects" on the other end of the Ooma calls have noticed a marked difference in voice/call quality. I was told that it sounded as if I was under water or in a closet and there were beeping noises like key presses. I'm deciding whether to keep Ooma or not. I may buy a DECT 6.0 phone, though I am not sure from the discussion on that issue whether that will help or not.

As of now, I rate the call quality very low at 1.5. I wish I could say otherwise.
#89354 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 am
Sunflowers, check out this voice quality issues thread: viewtopic.php?t=10023

Easiest way to see if your modem/router is the culprit is to take your Ooma to a friend's house and check it out there.