This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#88003 by Charles R
Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm
I have used Ooma for two months now and it's been a month and a half since I started this poll. I originally gave call quality a 2.75. Weeks later I'm down to a 2 and although I wasn't expecting much in the way of quality I have been disappointed. I have tried multiple units (3), multiple Internet providers (3) and various settings tweaking my Telo.

I guess I didn't realize how much I used my phone (not really a lot) and having almost everyone I speak to complain about the connection gets rather old and in some cases embarrassing. I switched for the geekness factor and used saving money as the excuse... who doesn't like to save money.

At this point I'll ride it out until I recoup my investment and then I'll look into other VoIP providers (which support porting - why I choose Ooma to start with) and go from there. Unless Ooma or another company can provide VoIP at a better quality level the savings aren't worth it for me as I call virtually no non 800 long distance numbers.
#88005 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 pm
Charles R:
8xx/9xx Toll Free Number Calling Problem (May hear Fast Busy)

By valleybill:
You now must not have caller ID blocking. If you do, then dial *82 before a toll free call.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=40

By ehl1:
1) The issue has been found to relate to Caller ID blocking - and my setting was indeed set to block my caller ID on outgoing calls. We switched off that feature, rebooted the Ooma Telo, and lo and behold, ALL 800 #s went through first try, no issue(!)

2) In addition, it was reported that even with the caller ID blocking active, if you wait 5-10 seconds after the fast busy, the call apparently does connect (I never tried this and still haven't)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=30

Next if that doesn’t work:
Try calling with a *99 in front of the number for the Oomo Hub.
Try Calling with a *99, *98 or *96 in front of the number if you have an Ooma Telo.
Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If that doesn't work, remove power from the Ooma device for 20 minutes and then test. You may have to repeat this procedure up to three times.

Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.
#88016 by richard7
Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm
My Ooma score: 2

I have battled abrupt disconnects and poor voice quality for months. I have found no solution, and am now exhausted by it all.

My friends complain about the poor call quality.

I am disappointed that after taking the recent Ooma email satisfaction survey that no one at the company bothered to contact me to help with the problems I took time to describe.

Is that naive or what?

In what country do those who answer our tech support calls live? I think it is far away, because they certainly don't seem worried that you might show up at their door if they are rude to you.

Imagine having such a bad Ooma experience that you long for ATT.

I yearn for the days when I had a normal dial tone and my friend's voices didn't morph into robotic noise.

My other disappointment are these boards. Yes, someone always responds. But I am eventually told that the problem must be my modem or internet connection. After hours of testing, swapping equipment with neighbors, etc., I can say with 100% certainty that my equipment and connection are fine.

The problem is this: Ooma is a finicky crapshoot, and like a sexually transmitted disease, it's never really clear where the problems originated. All you know is that you have them.
#88022 by Pro154
Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 am
My Ooma has been fine lately - since I started using Skype!
All jk aside - I did take a call this morning and the Ooma worked fine - except it was from a co-worker who needed information about a product he was looking at buying. I had to hang up because Ooma was again hogging all of my 5mb bandwidth.
#88026 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 am
Pro154 wrote:My Ooma has been fine lately - since I started using Skype!
All jk aside - I did take a call this morning and the Ooma worked fine - except it was from a co-worker who needed information about a product he was looking at buying. I had to hang up because Ooma was again hogging all of my 5mb bandwidth.

If you can find some time, try the Modem-Router-Ooma connection and see if you still have bandwidth problems. For this type of connection, the Home port isn't used, except to temporarily connect a computer to make adjustments to Ooma Setup. Ooma Suggests that Ooma Setup Quality of Service setting be set to Zero for this type of connection. But lately a few people have said that Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed QoS Ooma Setup settings work better at about 80% of the measureed speed, as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ . If you want your SpeedTest reading to come out in Kbps, click on the Setting menu at the upper right hand Speed test page, go down to Speed Measurement and select Kilobytes, then save.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#88027 by Pro154
Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 am
Ok I will try Thunderbird.

*Edit - switched the Ooma to behind the router and left off for 30min to reset. I also set the ul and dl speeds to 0. Thunderbird, I know you didnt tell me to do this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if I got bandwidth back when making a call.
Surprisingly all my calls sounded good and I got my bandwidth back BUT calling my family in NY that has a telo was still poor quality. I told my brother to emulate my settings and hopefully he will have luck.
#88064 by Charles R
Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:25 pm
richard7 wrote:I have battled abrupt disconnects and poor voice quality for months. I have found no solution, and am now exhausted by it all.

Unfortunately, I think this is fairly typical.

My friends complain about the poor call quality.

Again, it's my typical call. It's embarrassing when calling people and you can't even hold a normal conversation.

In what country do those who answer our tech support calls live? I think it is far away, because they certainly don't seem worried that you might show up at their door if they are rude to you.

All I know is that the worse connection I get is when I call Ooma's support. And it's very frustrating to attempt to cover or resolve an issue when neither party can be heard. As far as actual support... for one reason or another I had to replace my Telo and didn't want to wait a week for a replacement. So I spoke with level two support and explicitly asked should I activate the new Telo and then call in to have it transferred to my existing account. Of which they stated exactly. Well when I called in after activation they now stated since it was activated I will lose all of my contacts and other information... there is no way of recovering them.

I yearn for the days when I had a normal dial tone and my friend's voices didn't morph into robotic noise.

Yet again I wasn't expected the same level of quality as a landline but I feel your pain.

My other disappointment are these boards. Yes, someone always responds. But I am eventually told that the problem must be my modem or internet connection. After hours of testing, swapping equipment with neighbors, etc., I can say with 100% certainty that my equipment and connection are fine.

I strongly agree with this. A telephone should be an appliance. Not a (full-time) hobby, quest for knowledge, or endless cycle of powering off/on your unit. Heck I have gone months/years without rebooting several PCs.

I typically have a soft spot for small start-ups like when I began using TiVo in 2000 and I really hope Ooma has the ability to mature their service to the point it's a viable alternative. Unfortunately, it's not in the same universe as say a Sonos where it simply works better than anything else on the market.