This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87361 by billlawton
Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 pm
4 for me.

Only issues I've had over 2 years are inability to enter pin for conference call to China (this was a year ago and haven't tried more recently) as well as a couple Telo lockups that a power cycle cured (I think this was due to previous firmware updates that didn't cleanly reboot).

Given the cost comparison (previously with Vonage), I'm happy. Luckily I don't even notice a significant difference in quality based on broadband loading.
#87392 by dlow
Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 am
I continually have incidents that sound like the voices are coming from under water. Garbled, delayed and stuttering are common. This is not always, sometimes I go for a week or more without this happening. I"ve given the exact information to support numerous times and Qos settings, MAC settings, etc. haven't changed it much.

If my wife had her way, I'd be dumping this experiment in VOIP.
#87393 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am
dlow wrote:I continually have incidents that sound like the voices are coming from under water. Garbled, delayed and stuttering are common. This is not always, sometimes I go for a week or more without this happening. I"ve given the exact information to support numerous times and Qos settings, MAC settings, etc. haven't changed it much.

New Ooma Telo Firmware update 49339 is supposed to fix your problem:

Fix robotic voice that may occur under network congestion [11268]

Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.
#87489 by dlow
Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22 am
thunderbird wrote:
dlow wrote:I continually have incidents that sound like the voices are coming from under water. Garbled, delayed and stuttering are common. This is not always, sometimes I go for a week or more without this happening. I"ve given the exact information to support numerous times and Qos settings, MAC settings, etc. haven't changed it much.

New Ooma Telo Firmware update 49339 is supposed to fix your problem:

Fix robotic voice that may occur under network congestion [11268]

Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

I now have the 49339 version. I hope it works.
#87852 by mike1971
Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am
Have had 49339 for awhile now, I still have the robotic voice. Disabling pure voice cures it but dialing a * code is annoying. Been with ooma for 2 years now and this is really the first disappointment I've had with them.

Up until these voice issues started happening I was very pleased with ooma, now not so much.
#87867 by Pro154
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:10 pm
Recent Vonage convert here. I haven't been using the number I ported much since it was my Dads old number and kept it in case someone called. Was with Vonage for 2 years and no problems porting, multi-ring or serious call quality - there were hiccups but nothing major.
When I first switched to Ooma in July (THANKS WOOT!!), there were no major problems. I was actually using the telo from Canada (cable modem 5Mb) and the quality was right on par with my old vonage. No bandwidth hogging, etc.
My family in New York said it sounded better to them - so much better that they bought a Telo too. Once we were both on Ooma is when issues arised and ONLY between us;
- dropped calls
-Mr roboto
- random DTMF tone chirps

When I took my Telo back to the US these problems happened -
- couldnt even make a call because my 512k dsl connection at my US address wasn't fast enough where I never had a major issue with Vonage before (unless I was downloading something).
- Once I upgraded to 6Mb I had minimal issues to other US or Canadian calls.
Ooma would pretty much hog the whole bandwidth even with my Qos set at 256u/512d

- Calling the fam in NY didn't improve at all to the point where we started using Skype which KILLED the Qos of Ooma. I used my iPhone app and the quality was fantastic. Was even streaming a YouTube Feed on another computer while running Skype Video and no glitches or bandwidth issues!

Both our Firmware is update 49339.

Before switching to Ooma I did a lot of research - and waited for the Woot! I don't regret my purchase as its fine as a regular US line for the amount I use it and even with my premier and prepaid account I will have saved enough $$ to switch back to vonage in about a year but I'm hoping that Ooma will fix its issues.

So my poll(s) are as follows;
Ooma as phone to other landlines - 3
Ooma to Ooma - 1 or less
Bandwidth usage;
Ooma - 1
Vonage - 2.5
Skype - 4
Qos
Skype Qos blows the doors off both Vonage and Ooma but its not in the same category as it cant be used on a regular phone system.
Ma Bell sucked for me as I had a terrible ground hum and static which they could never fix.

*edit to add that I did try to disable purevoice by dialing *98 and did seem to improve quality but deteriorated fast. Also tried unplugging both Telos for 60minutes.
#87871 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm
Pro154 wrote:My family in New York said it sounded better to them - so much better that they bought a Telo too. Once we were both on Ooma is when issues arised and ONLY between us;
- dropped calls
-Mr roboto
- random DTMF tone chirps

For dropped calls, usaully changing the MAC address setting in Ooma Setup from Automatic to Use Built In, helps.

Mr Roboto appears to be an Ooma side problem, which they are working on.

DTMF tones can usually be controlled "somewhat" by sightly turning down the phone audio volume of the person whose voice is generating the DTMF tones.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds.
Probably if you make some more adjustments to the Ooma device's Quality of Service settings, to find the right "sweet spot", you will see improvements.
#87893 by Pro154
Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 am
thunderbird wrote:For dropped calls, usaully changing the MAC address setting in Ooma Setup from Automatic to Use Built In, helps.

Mr Roboto appears to be an Ooma side problem, which they are working on.

DTMF tones can usually be controlled "somewhat" by sightly turning down the phone audio volume of the person whose voice is generating the DTMF tones.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds.
Probably if you make some more adjustments to the Ooma device's Quality of Service settings, to find the right "sweet spot", you will see improvements.

Thanks Thunderbird - my MAC id is set to built in.

We are using speakerphone when the DTMF tones happen - never had that problem with Vonage though.

Hopefully I can find the sweet spot as all the money I'm saving with Ooma is going to increased bandwidth.
#87894 by law
Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 am
I rate Ooma a 4. I had perfect service my first month. I had voice robot more recently during a couple long calls, but that passed. All has been excellent since then. So, I still rate my Ooma service a 4. A few minor hiccups is no big deal, given the big dollar savings.