This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86568 by Charles R
Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:59 am
EA PA wrote:I have been a user since 12/10 and have had my share of initial problems, some self induced and some not self induced.

I have had zero initial problems (what I would call problems) including porting.

After a few months of reading and bantering and tweeking, I finally found my Ooma sweet spot. And yes it took 4 months or so…Since then, I have had minimal if anything to complain about (including the hated handset). The combination of a UPS, isolating the widget a few feet from anything electronic, I guess the firmware upgrades, and testing and fine tuning the QOS finally worked for me.

I see all of these as installation issues. Nothing unique to one installation or user.

The parties, that I got the most out of by reading their input are those that you refer to as fanboys. I don’t know them, nor do I care if they boost the product or not. There is no doubt that these guys are very enthusiastic and are in here constantly, usually helping and also some talking up the product. But without these guys, I would most likely be enriching the telecom company and storing another gizmo in a box. For that, I say thanks to them.

First I didn't reference anyone on purpose and secondly I have zero doubt they bring a lot of value to the table. At the same time going beyond the basics I find it difficult to go along with very few have issues and if you work hard on it everyday you can make them go away. Why should one have to beat on support to resolve issues a good majority of users have?

As for the question about others who don’t have problems, I recommended the product to my in-laws and they purchased, plugged in, did nothing and it worked perfectly.

I think to a large degree this evolves around expectations. I didn't expect Ooma to offer the same quality of service I was receiving from AT&T and they clearly haven't of which I am fine. However because of this I can't dismiss the fact that a good percentage of long distance calls I place are embarrassing and the exact opposite is true with local calls.

Since I have been using my Telo I have read and followed quite a bit on this forum. The best suggestion to possibly resolve such an issue to keep harassing Ooma support as at some point they may be able to make it go away. Again, I don't understand why I should have to keep bumping my head over a well known issue (fairly well reflected by this thread) if in fact it can be resolved. However I tend to feel it can't and have seen little or no data to suggest how one would actually go about fixing the issue (not simply addressing it).
#86570 by Ooma User888
Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am
:? I've had Ooma for over a year. In the beginning the call quality was great. Now it is definitely a 3. I experience echo, lags and complete drops of conversation. I am going to get a new router to see if that has any impact on call quality.
#86571 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am
Ooma User888 wrote::? I've had Ooma for over a year. In the beginning the call quality was great. Now it is definitely a 3. I experience echo, lags and complete drops of conversation. I am going to get a new router to see if that has any impact on call quality.

You can put Ooma in front of router to see. Maybe the modem could be the problem.
#86711 by ckaboose
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:13 am
Definte 4 for me. Been happy with the call quality since day one.
#87264 by srrudin
Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Definately a 1. I have cancelled the service and went back to Vonage. I had previously had Vonage for 3 years without any problems. I thought going to Ooma would be just another VOIP provider for less money.

Ooma consistently had call quallity problems, one way communication, garbled conversation and could not receive incoming calls. I have Comcast Internet with 30Mb Down/5MB Up. I did all the speed tests, jitter tests and some were good and some were bad. The net is that now I am back with Vonage and I am not experiencing any of the problems I had with Ooma.
#87319 by DTR
Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 pm
Sad but true..... but I'm finding that my MagicJack works better than Ooma. I had to call my local Sheriff's Office the other day and the Ooma would ring their number just a couple of rings and quit. Thankfully they called me back after I tried to call them several times and it got their attention that i was trying to call them.

I think ooma is a libility waiting to happen. It's definetly not what it's advertised to be at all!!!!
#87320 by FX4
Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 pm
Well a 4 for me. I just wish I could get Skype to work as well for my business phone. I have one minor complaint and I do mean minor, voice can be a bit robotic sounding over my DECT6 handsets. I don't seem to have this issue with the hardwired phones.
#87321 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 pm
I guess there will always be some exceptions to the rule

Ooma was rated #1 by Consumer Reports 2011 Users Survey..... the rule. What I find to be true (and so many of my friends and family).

srrudin wrote:The net is that now I am back with Vonage and I am not experiencing any of the problems I had with Ooma.

Ooma scored the same for Reliability and Call Quality compared to Vonage.

Reliability = Good, Call Quality = Good

DTR wrote:I'm finding that my MagicJack works better than Ooma.

MagicJack scored 2 notches lower than Ooma

Reliability = Poor, Call Quality = Poor
#87324 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:22 pm
Definate 4 for me. I have a Telo and an Ooma hub. 4 on each.
Wayne
#87351 by jblock312
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm
Now a 4 with new modem/router. Previously about a 3.76 with occasional blurbles.
Those of you with issues might try borrowing a different router, to see if that helps.
I have dsl.