This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86523 by law
Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 pm
I've had Ooma a month and call quality = 4.
#86530 by Charles R
Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 am
I think it's interesting only one person has rated call quality a 3.something. Outside of 4s (of which I think some are valuing the service itself not call quality) everything else is 1s and 2s. With this in mind I'm going to take the issues I have as typical and not look for solutions.

They aren't enough for me to punt as the phone is a very low priority (cost over service) but I certainly couldn't recommend the service for someone looking for stellar calling quality. The most issues I have is calling long distance. The lag is very frustrating and I almost feel the need to apologize to the person on the other end. Overall local calls are very good.
#86535 by Davesworld
Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm
Charles R wrote:
michaelhaws wrote:BTW, I'm not totally convinced that all of the problems are caused by ooma. I believe that underlying network issues can have a huge impact on call quality and ooma has absolutely no way control this.

I do agree the technology itself has inherent limitations and in my other thread I'm trying to learn about the analog/digital conversion which I'm sure plays a large part. On a pure digital side I have a hard time seeing limitations as you can transfer gigabyte files and have them be bit perfect. However converting analog to digital and back again in real time sounds like a can of worms. And I'm curious how Ooma's processing differs from the traditional landline.

Actually it's not Ooma's processing. They use a common protocol called SIP so it is a SIP issue versus landline. By landline you likely mean analog POTS versus ISDN which is digital all the way to the phone jack. With an analog landline it is digital from the CO over the rest of the phone network. The amount of analog conversions are about the same and is not an issue in either case. There are actually less limitations in SIP and even far less when you bypass the PSTN as compared to analog POTS. I have a few accounts with different providers which allow one to put a sip url in the address book on the web portal and when calling sip to sip (a sip address is not much different than an email address) the quality easily exceeds pots and rivals ISDN with the same codec, g.711. This would be akin to calling someone within ooma's network. 99% of your calls go over the PSTN once they leave Ooma's servers.

As far as various VOIP technologies, Ooma like most use SIP, some use IAX and Skype is unique from the rest and have their own protocol.
#86539 by jph
Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 pm
I give it a 2 because after 4 months I thought it would improve, if this new firmware doesn't help I'll be looking for another VOIP.
#86542 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 pm
Charles R wrote:I think it's interesting only one person has rated call quality a 3.something. Outside of 4s (of which I think some are valuing the service itself not call quality) everything else is 1s and 2s. With this in mind I'm going to take the issues I have as typical and not look for solutions.

They aren't enough for me to punt as the phone is a very low priority (cost over service) but I certainly couldn't recommend the service for someone looking for stellar calling quality. The most issues I have is calling long distance. The lag is very frustrating and I almost feel the need to apologize to the person on the other end. Overall local calls are very good.

I would have to give Ooma Phone Service a 4. If I compare Ooma to AT&T, the service I had before Ooma for about the last 15 years, I'd have to give Ooma a much higher score.

I also had problems when I first started with Ooma. But most of the problems were with my home setup, or Internet provider. I did have delay, which Ooma corrected for me, after being having to be very persistent with Ooma.

When we were in China earlier this year, we took a small phone and the Ooma Telo along. We could call someone from China, to someone in China, as hear no delay. The Ooma connection was probably over a distance of 14,000 miles, half way around the world. The voice quality was near perfect.

Replacing my old wireless phones with new DECT 6 Plus phones really made a world of a difference and really helped convince my wife.

One last thing, to add a little balance to the "Call Quality Poll".
The "Call Quality Poll" thread is certainly not representative of all Ooma users’ opinions. Most people, after purchasing their Ooma device, plug it in, and it works. It's just another phone to them. They never come to this forum. The people using this forum are probably less than one percent of the overall Ooma users. Many people that use this forum have one or two problems, which are quickly solved by other Ooma forum users’ suggestions. After that they have no need for the Ooma forum. A fairly small percentage of the people using this forum are having some kind of chronic problem that most Ooma phone system users never experience. This small group, of chronic problem people, is the ones that I'd like to see Ooma Customer Support, give special detailed support.
#86555 by psmsmallengines
Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:29 am
Well, I guess I fall into being Chronic problem person. The call quality for almost the most part, 99.9% is great!! Give it a 4!! I know your asking about call quality, but I cant help myself here. Telo since end of june, Always seems to be an issue. In fact, every week an issue. Though a few have been solved for ever, the first three being Ooma handsets. All got sent back..forever. I will never buy another one again. I dont care how many instructional videos they ask me to watch or how many times I had to take the battery out to reset the handset, it just wasn't worth it, I found it to be a poor product, with that, I got rid of them, so the second line is of no use to me now, I cannot use it. I went through the downtime thing a few weeks ago. Then, last week, same thing until a reset, then the night before last, All of the laptops in the house kept getting kicked offline..Only when I used my cordless phone 5.8 ghz, I never had a problem at all, until the other night. I posted to the forum, got some great advice, basically saying I will have to spend more money to buy DECT 6.0 phones. O.K., I guess I can live with that. Then, last night, my tivo was getting knocked offline, You guessed it, the problem was the telo. Again, until now, I have had no problems. I reset the telo , the ooma logo was flashing red. When I get home from work, I will check it again. There comes a point when enough is enough, I love the idea of saving $52.00 a month, butthen found out last week when I was going to port my number back to my old phone company that I could get phone service for $38.00 a month with a bundled package which includes my internet, which is now $39.99 a month and is 30/15 MBPS, Until a couple of months ago, that service was costing $90.00 a month by it's self. Given what the ooma premier package costs, plus taxes, now being able to save on phone and internet, I am leaning towards going back to my old company. I could use my 5.8ghz phone, the service never went out, and my tivo was never knocked out. And when I called customer service, I actually get results.
#86556 by dsinternet
Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 am
I have my Telo behind the router and have never had a problem with other Internet things like TV or computers.
#86561 by Charles R
Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 am
thunderbird wrote:One last thing, to add a little balance to the "Call Quality Poll".
The "Call Quality Poll" thread is certainly not representative of all Ooma users’ opinions. Most people, after purchasing their Ooma device, plug it in, and it works. It's just another phone to them. They never come to this forum.

I find it hard to believe most users find it as simply another phone call quality wise. Regardless, I agree forum users aren't a complete representation of all users. However often they are haunted by fanboys who (attempt to) skew the prevailing perception.

A fairly small percentage of the people using this forum are having some kind of chronic problem that most Ooma phone system users never experience. This small group, of chronic problem people, is the ones that I'd like to see Ooma Customer Support, give special detailed support.

I have no idea how you obtain a small percentage as the majority of this thread has rated call quality poor or very poor (even more so when you throw out a few fanboys). And overall I'm not smart enough to understand why special attention should be required for certain users. Outside of the obvious installation issues... I don't see why one installation is unique. Perhaps, if I had a clear understanding I could see how issues could be resolved. So far from reading this forum I have found basis call quality issues rather constant and not solvable.
#86566 by EA PA
Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:54 am
Charles R

I have been a user since 12/10 and have had my share of initial problems, some self induced and some not self induced. My phone company Frontier was really sticking it to me for 68 bucks a month and I really want a reasonable alternative, so I came in here after buying the Telo and having initial issues to learn about this thing to see if I could shake out the bugs.

After a few months of reading and bantering and tweeking, I finally found my Ooma sweet spot. And yes it took 4 months or so…Since then, I have had minimal if anything to complain about (including the hated handset). The combination of a UPS, isolating the widget a few feet from anything electronic, I guess the firmware upgrades, and testing and fine tuning the QOS finally worked for me.

The parties, that I got the most out of by reading their input are those that you refer to as fanboys. I don’t know them, nor do I care if they boost the product or not. There is no doubt that these guys are very enthusiastic and are in here constantly, usually helping and also some talking up the product. But without these guys, I would most likely be enriching the telecom company and storing another gizmo in a box. For that, I say thanks to them.

As for the question about others who don’t have problems, I recommended the product to my in-laws and they purchased, plugged in, did nothing and it worked perfectly. I say this because it was infuriating to hear and see this. I even ran the same diagnostics on theirs to find that they had horrible internet quality results. It works great and has for months without issue. Figure that one out…..???? I was told by them not to touch it for fear that I may mess it up (even worse). Point being, some seem to be plug-n-play, some just aren’t. As to why, who knows? I enjoy an occasional science project, some don’t. Nature of the beast I guess.

For now Im ok and just broke even so Im also pretty happy. Personally, I am glad these forum guys hang here to help those in need….you know who you are…whether or not they talk up the product or not, I really don’t care. Good luck with yours