This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86291 by onoccasion
Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:42 pm
I give it a 2.

Have had since January. I'm saving money, but feeling like I'm getting what I'm paying for (20% of the quality for 20% of the cost - if I don't think about my upfront cost for the Telo).

Works great for calls to other area codes, but frequently (e.g., 50% of time) unable to complete calls within my local area (which is 95% of our calling) so have to use cell phone minutes or Google Voice (for some reason, I never have problem using Ooma to call Google Voice and then using Google Voice to place call, but what a hassle). Wife hates it, but I don't have time to deal with troubleshooting.

We believe there are people attempting to call us that aren't getting through, but obviously don't have an easy way to verify the extent of this problem, just some anecdotal evidence from people we talk with frequently.

When calls do connect, voice quality has generally been good. Sometimes a significant delay (again, mostly with local calls) to the point that it's hard to carry on a conversation. Only a very few occasions of garbled voice.
#86296 by michaelhaws
Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57 pm
I had 2 ooma lines, one for business and one personal. Both lines had very poor quality(even after numerous attempts at setting QOS and chatting with customer service) and I cancelled the business line and went back to a dedicated copper wire (the gold standard). I'm giving ooma a little more time on the residential line as it is not as critical. So my ratings are:

business line : 1
resident line : 1.5

BTW, I'm not totally convinced that all of the problems are caused by ooma. I believe that underlying network issues can have a huge impact on call quality and ooma has absolutely no way control this.
#86298 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 am
michaelhaws, you may want to post your issues here (start a thread) so folks can provide input.
#86319 by Charles R
Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 am
michaelhaws wrote:BTW, I'm not totally convinced that all of the problems are caused by ooma. I believe that underlying network issues can have a huge impact on call quality and ooma has absolutely no way control this.

I do agree the technology itself has inherent limitations and in my other thread I'm trying to learn about the analog/digital conversion which I'm sure plays a large part. On a pure digital side I have a hard time seeing limitations as you can transfer gigabyte files and have them be bit perfect. However converting analog to digital and back again in real time sounds like a can of worms. And I'm curious how Ooma's processing differs from the traditional landline.
#86324 by DTR
Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm
Well when you transfer a file usually TCP (Transfer Control Protocol) is the method and each and every bit of data gets verified and acknowledged (ACK) or Non-Acknowledged (NACK). So if your file transfer missed a packet it can be re-requested and send over completely out of order and then placed back in the right place (order) in the file.

VoIP is a time critical service, and if packets arrive too late that get dropped on the floor (as a programmer would refer too as thrown away) it will leave holes and garbled audio. Also VoIP packets in a SIP enviroment use UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and this service blindly sends packets of data to a receiving party without an ACK or NACK expected for each packet of data on each transmission. UDP is used to speed the packet delivery without a lot of overhead of verfiying each transmission or re-requesting packets. So if some are missing, or too bad out of order, they get dropped and thus leaves a hole in your audio or garbled audio. I guess you could look at it as..... TCP is more of Bucket Brigrade with each bucket being handed off as the last one was received properly and acknowledged. UDP is a bucket brigade that passes the bucket to the next guy whether the next guy is ready to receive it or not. A blind transfer to say the least.

So as you can see, transfering a file is much different than passing VoIP packets. A completely different service within the seven layers of Ethernet.

Hope this helps......
#86325 by Charles R
Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 pm
DTR wrote:Hope this helps......

Thanks. I understand the inherent differences and even with error correction in real-time you can only wait so long before fixing the error becomes more of any issue (than the error itself). I don't want this thread to get off track so I won't comment further.
#86326 by focuspuller
Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08 pm
on voice calls telo and hub a big 4

on hub fax 2
#86329 by rsomazzi
Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 pm
I am waiting a week now from the last Ooma support email.

Call quality was my first problem, followed by my bandwidth dying when having the Telo in between my modem and router. Now that the quality issues have gone from having the Telo connected to my router and setting up QoS, I cannot make outgoing calls. Ooma support is quickly starting to suck badly as I now feel abandoned. I am on the verge of returning this box for a refund since Ooma feels like responding to me is more trouble than the $240 I've invested thus far. I am getting the feeling they don't care anymore.

I'd consider this before going with them, if you have not yet.
#86331 by jhphone
Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm
Charles R wrote:1 - I tried Ooma and canceled because of the call quality.
2 - It's very poor compared to my prior service but I'm keeping it [for a while].
3 - It's not as good as my prior service.
4 - It's as good or better than my prior service.

Really more like 1.5.

The only reason I'm keeping Ooma for the present is because it's cheap (in all meanings of the word) and I don't use the phone very often.

I've had the ongoing problems with call delay, echo, single-duplex communication, call forwarding fails, and mediocre voice quality. Ooma has never come close to the quality -- much less the reliability -- of AT&T's 1920 system.

Sadly, it never will.
#86398 by Colanth
Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:55 pm
Using Ooma for about 2 years. Hub and Scout.

Call quality normally 3.5-3.75. Delay once in a while, not enough to be annoying. A few calls (maybe 3 or 4 in 2 years) have gone straight to voicemail when no one was using the phone.

And on the 17th we lost service, of course. Couldn't even connect to the site. Since my wife mainly uses Skype (PC to PC) and she and I communicate by email during the day, it wasn't a major problem. And again, once in 2 years.

Would I pay the $1,100 or so I've saved so far to eliminate those 3 problems? I don't think so.

(BTW, buzz on a landline is usually due to poor grounding in the underlying soil. All the Baby Bells know how to fix it - you just have to scream.)