This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86145 by Charles R
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:10 pm
I noticed Ooma's forum doesn't support polls so I thought I would try to gauge call quality another way. For background I installed a Telo roughly two weeks ago and have had my number ported for a week or so. I didn't expect call quality as good as my old provider AT&T as it has been virtually perfect. We just don't rely on the phone (hardly used) and being a techie I thought why not... give VoIP a try. I picked Ooma since I could port our existing number.

Qualifying call quality can be tough but for the sake of this thread how about only using the following...

1 - I tried Ooma and canceled because of the call quality.
2 - It's very poor compared to my prior service but I'm keeping it.
3 - It's not as good as my prior service.
4 - It's as good or better than my prior service.

I'm not looking for how your Ooma is configured or how it should be configured rather an overall satisfaction level solely based on call quality. A simple 1-4 would be nice. Trying to assign a number myself I fall in between 2 and 3 so I guess I'd have to say 2.75 - mainly because on a semi-regular basis I will have static, delays, etc. Again, I don't want this to be a fix-it thread... there are plenty of them. I'm just trying to find out if my experience is fairly typical or unique.

Ok, your turn what's your number?
#86148 by WJBertrand
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:26 pm
I've only had it up for a little less than a week but so far it's a 4 for me.
#86149 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm
4 - better than previous provider. I had Verizon landline before Ooma. For 10 years, I had a subtle buzz in the background which Verizon could never fix. Drove me nuts. When I first activated Ooma, I was in landline integration mode, this magnified the buzz background noise x3, irritated me to the nth degree. After porting, all was fine. Now with Ooma, all calls are crystal clear; don't experience delay issues as others have reported (daughter, wife talk on Ooma all the time; they grab the home phone over their cell because no perceived issues; no talking over others, stepping on each other etc.). No dropouts, no robo voice, no dropped calls. Life is good.

Issues that I've experienced: once in a while but rarely, when calling home, I get a fax machine sound. Hang up, call back, no problem. Wife or daughter says when answering the previous ring, nothing was heard on their end, so they hang up. I've experienced this before when calling other VoIP customers. Since I got Ooma, I experienced only 1 dropped call (not positive if it was Ooma dropping or the other party dropping). Of the 24 friends/family that I got onboard with Ooma, only 1 had major issues (dropped calls, voice dropout etc); turned out to be a cable modem issue (VoIP quality tests passed with flying colors I might add; we just didn't catch the modem during the times when it acted up). New modem fixed it.
#86161 by Cyberchat
Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm
Charles R wrote:I noticed Ooma's forum doesn't support polls so I thought I would try to gauge call quality another way. For background I installed a Telo roughly two weeks ago and have had my number ported for a week or so. I didn't expect call quality as good as my old provider AT&T as it has been virtually perfect. We just don't rely on the phone (hardly used) and being a techie I thought why not... give VoIP a try. I picked Ooma since I could port our existing number.

Qualifying call quality can be tough but for the sake of this thread how about only using the following...

1 - I tried Ooma and canceled because of the call quality.
2 - It's very poor compared to my prior service but I'm keeping it.
3 - It's not as good as my prior service.
4 - It's as good or better than my prior service.

I'm not looking for how your Ooma is configured or how it should be configured rather an overall satisfaction level solely based on call quality. A simple 1-4 would be nice. Trying to assign a number myself I fall in between 2 and 3 so I guess I'd have to say 2.75 - mainly because on a semi-regular basis I will have static, delays, etc. Again, I don't want this to be a fix-it thread... there are plenty of them. I'm just trying to find out if my experience is fairly typical or unique.

Ok, your turn what's your number?

Its a definite 4 for me. No quality issues in the "approaching 2 years" I've been using OOMA. My prior cable service was also high quality but it did have outages. My primary motivation for switching to OOMA was cost. I cut my monthly costs from about $80 to $10 with the OOMA premier service (I have two telephone numbers). OOMA had about a four-hour outage a couple of days ago but in the several years prior to switching to OOMA my cable supplier had several outages. So, my vote still goes for OOMA. I have cellular service as a backup to OOMA as I did for my prior cable service.
#86162 by dsinternet
Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:28 pm
thecgmguy wrote:When I initially bought ooma: 3
Right now with the Mr. Roboto voice issue: 2.3

Mine is similar...
Over two years...
1st year:3
Between 1 year and July of this year: 4 (GREAT JOB OOMA)
The last 3 or 4 weeks: 2.3 Mr. Roboto voice issues

I love Ooma for the main fact that they seem to try there best and care about their customers also the forum is the best part of Ooma. Ooma customers helping each other.
#86167 by Lakeo
Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:38 pm
A 4 for me over the last two years. Also, no spousal (female) complaining during that period, so maybe that makes it a 5!!!

Lakeo
#86169 by EA PA
Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 pm
was 2 for a few mo until bugs worked out - 4 since then :D
#86220 by DTR
Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 am
Was a 4 for me during the first two weeks of July, then it went south all the sudden with horrible garbled inbound audio on practically every call. You can call the party right back it's good for a few minutes and then garbled inbound audio again.

So I'm wavering between 1 & 2 right now. Word is they have a fix in the works, but I've found Customer Support absoultely useless for me, and they basically cancel my support tickets and lie that someone will back in contact regarding my issue.

As I reach the end of my trial period and I'm still having this experience..... then I'm for sure gonna be a 1.
#86224 by harry12
Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 am
Had DSL with Embarq ( they became CenturyLink ) and I had no telephone problems.
Then Ooma caught my attention. I decided cable/Ooma would be better/cheaper/faster.
I made the correct decision and it's a '4' for this customer.

BTW, I have a Hub. ( Started 11/07/2010 )