This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#85727 by OomaGirl
Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 pm
This is my most annoying problem. Well, I have the button keypress problem, but very rarely.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about this? I am getting decent quality but the lag is really annoying.

It's pretty short, but it's enough that the caller will start speaking, and I don't hear it yet, so I start speaking, and it makes them think I'm intentionally cutting them off. They think I must have heard them start speaking.

Also then if they ask a question, they think I'm pausing too long. Same when I ask a question of them, it seems frustratingly long sometimes, and I know they are still listening to what I said?

It's not major but it's enough. It reminds me of that commercial where it's a split-second delayed echoing and they try to show how annoying it is. The problems are bad enough, that I am really hesitant to use this phone for any important calls, and that is frustrating because this was supposed to replace the home phone line, not simply be an addition :(

I have cable modem and a wireless router, but my hub is before the router.
#85741 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 am
OomaGirl:
Remove power from your Modem, Ooma device, and Router.
Leave power off of the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile.
Power on the Modem first. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma Hub. When the Ooma Hub is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done powering, test.

If you still have delay, try calling another Ooma phone number and see if you still have delay. If you don't, most likely the delay problem is on the Ooma side.

Delay is one of the most difficult problems to get corrected by the Ooma phone system. There is about a ten percent chance that the delay problem is in the home, using old phones, etc. But usually the delay comes from the Ooma servers or wholesalers (carriers), or legacy carriers that Ooma transitions to and from for calling.

If you do everything on your end and you still have delay, then you have to contact Ooma Customer Support and have them make corrections for you. For this problem you have to be extremely persistent with Ooma, to get your problem corrected.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#85743 by OomaGirl
Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:58 am
thunderbird wrote:For this problem you have to be extremely persistent with Ooma, to get your problem corrected.

Thanks, I will try unplugging, and if I get time I'll try testing the lag. Unfortunately I just don't have much time to be persistent and try to get it corrected. So I may have to get a different cellphone for the "important calls".
#85861 by Bill D
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:42 am
lbmofo wrote:What kind of delay do you measure? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

Ibmofo,
After not measuring my Ooma delay for a few months, I just tried measuring it again using the 909-390-0003 echo number and noticed that when I called it from either of my Ooma Hubs, there was no echo from that number after it answered (only silence).

I then tried calling that number from my AT&T iPhone and it worked, and the delay measured 450 ms.

I'm curious if it still works for anyone else using Ooma.
#85866 by OomaGirl
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 am
Tried twice from Ooma, twice from Sprint cell. All times it doesn't seem to connect or do anything. I mean, it doesn't seem to answer, ring, or anything. It's silent.
#85870 by Bill D
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 am
OomaGirl wrote:Tried twice from Ooma, twice from Sprint cell. All times it doesn't seem to connect or do anything. I mean, it doesn't seem to answer, ring, or anything. It's silent.

It is always answers instantly without ringing and is silent. When you speak, you'll hear the echo.

It now works on my cell but not on my Ooma Hubs. It used to work on my Hubs also.

Use the Audacity SW to measure the delay, as shown in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874
#85874 by OomaGirl
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:26 am
Oh, the first time I tried it from Ooma it didn't work, that's why I didn't know. Anyway it worked for me from Ooma just now.
#85877 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 am
OomaGirl wrote:Oh, the first time I tried it from Ooma it didn't work, that's why I didn't know. Anyway it worked for me from Ooma just now.

Bill D, just like OomaGirl's experience, I remember the echo number not working sometimes.
#85882 by OomaGirl
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm
I tried calling 2 more times and it works at the start, but then it won't echo anymore.