This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#85399 by ReedPhillips
Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:12 pm
I have had OOMA for many years and have been very pleased with the service. However something changed in their system over the past few months. My father lives in the same area (Raleigh/Durham) and began telling me that he would make calls and the line would go silent once the call connected. The person or answering machine could hear him, but he could not hear them. This began happening on a large number of local numbers. I decided to test these numbers on my OOMA system and got the same results. Most but not all were answering machines or automated tellers. There was a mix of individual, small and large businesses.

I begin calling numbers in sequence around the problem number and in every case, multiple numbers in sequence experienced the same problem. This has nothing to do with QOS or Ports. Something is going wrong in the hand-off with the local carrier.

My dad made it to level 3+ support and they are working the issue, but there may be nothing they can do. Given his age, it is dangerous not to be able to make a phone call. I would like to keep OOMA, but I am not sure it is possible.

I thought I would post this to let others know that no amount of system or local network tweaking will fix this problem.

-reed
#85543 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 pm
thunderbird wrote:ReedPhillips:
One person, as a work around, said that they were able to overcome this problem by dialing *99 before the number.

Try *99 for the Telo and Hub.

Try *99 or *98 or *96 for the Telo.

Example *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

But did you try this?

It has worked for others.
#85546 by ReedPhillips
Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm
thunderbird wrote:ReedPhillips:
One person, as a work around, said that they were able to overcome this problem by dialing *99 before the number.

Try *99 for the Telo and Hub.

Try *99 or *98 or *96 for the Telo.

Example *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Yep that seems to have addressed the issue (*99 -). Once you use the method once, other local problem numbers also started working.

Thanks!

-reed