This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#85205 by ijourneaux
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm
Recently I have had a few calls that in the middle of the call drop to voice mail. My wife assures me that she is not doing anything on the phone when this happens.

We had several months with no problems and suddenly this has started to happen.

Appreciate any guidance.

Ian
#85206 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 pm
Anyone pressing the envelope button on the ooma device when call is in progress?
#87668 by law
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 am
In the middle of a received call and 10 minute conversation, the call was dropped - I got an Ooma dial tone and my caller heard my outgoing voicemail message and was put into my voicemail. That was weird. This is something new.
#87671 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 am
law wrote:In the middle of a received call and 10 minute conversation, the call was dropped - I got an Ooma dial tone and my caller heard my outgoing voicemail message and was put into my voicemail. That was weird. This is something new.

Some Ideas for dropped calls:
You probably have done this but I'll ask anyway for dropped calls.

Do you have your Ooma Setup Mac address set to Use Built In:?

If your Ooma is setup Modem-Router-Ooma, are you using a reserved IP address in your Router for the Ooma device?

Have you replaced your Modem?
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#87736 by law
Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm
Thanks to thunderbird for the info.

I ran the phone power speed test and got:

Download Speed: 11,875
Upload Speed: 2,808
Download Consistency: 94%
Upload Consistency: 98%
Max Delay: 63ms
Jitter to server: .1ms
Jitter from server: .2ms
No packet losses or discards
MOS score 4.2

I did have a fixed IP address assigned to my Telo based on its MAC address.

I did not have the garbled voice on my several calls today, so I am hoping those few incidents were just a few calls with fluke conditions or internet congestion.

I went ahead and changed the Mac address to use Built In, so I will see if that keeps things clean.

As I mentioned, I have had Ooma for just over a month, and the call quality has been pristine. So, good that I bought a second Telo for my business lines. Only in the last 5 days or so, did I have my first experience with any call quality issue - the weird incoming tangled voice. That is why I think it may be due to the 49339 firmware, but that is just speculation. It is certainly not bad enough for me to complain too much, but I hope it doesn't come back in any big way. Perhaps the newer firmware will resolve things.
#87738 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm
law:
You certainly have a good Internet connection. I you continue to have garbled voice, try setting you Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds both to zero, and test. Ooma recommends the setting of zero, if the connection is Modem-Router-Ooma.

For some people that doen't work, so if it doesn't work for you, try setting the QoS speeds to a number higher than the measured Upstream and Downstream Internet Speeds. Example: Upstream would be set to a number like 2900 Kbps, and Downstream would be set to a number like 13000 Kbps, and test. I have mine both set at 7000 Kbps and which is higher than my Internet speeds, and we don't have any garbled voice conversation at all.