This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84615 by colbywen
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 pm
Hi,

My OOMA stop working today and I noticed it was updated to the latest 47785. It seems PPPoE is not working
in this release. Ater I changed the setup to put OOMA behind the home router and use DHCP, OOMA starts to
work. Does any one have the same issue ? How can I stop OOMA to update the firmware automatically, it seems
the new frmware is getting worse and not improving.

Thanks,

Colby
#84621 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 am
colbywen wrote:Hi,

My OOMA stop working today and I noticed it was updated to the latest 47785. It seems PPPoE is not working
in this release. Ater I changed the setup to put OOMA behind the home router and use DHCP, OOMA starts to
work. Does any one have the same issue ? How can I stop OOMA to update the firmware automatically, it seems
the new frmware is getting worse and not improving.

Thanks,

Colby

Include the customer configured Service-Name in PPPoE handshake [10869],
Was one of the fixes in this firmware update.

It might be as simple as putting the correct Internet Service Name in the Ooma Setup Internet page, Service Name: space, or maybe leaving the space blank?

Send Ooma Moderator Bobby B. a personal E-mail with your problem. I think he will want to know.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53

Ooma controls the firmware updates, and they are automatic. We have no control.
#84668 by colbywen
Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 pm
I still can't use PPPoE after leaving the service name as blank. There is no other configuration for PPPoE besides the
username and password. I double check the username and password is correct because I can use the same one in home
router to connect to DSL modem.
#84669 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:47 am
colbywen wrote:I still can't use PPPoE after leaving the service name as blank. There is no other configuration for PPPoE besides the
username and password. I double check the username and password is correct because I can use the same one in home
router to connect to DSL modem.

First: If you are using your Ooma connected behind your router and everything is working okay, I would just leave it. I have my Oomo Telo connected to one of the LAN port of my router and it works just fine.

But if your want to go back to the Modem-Ooma-Router setup:
When you went into Ooma Setup and clicked on the Internet tab at the left, did you click on the down arrow right after Connection Type and select PPPoE? Then add the Name, Password, and Service Name, in the optional blank. The Service Name is the Name of your Internet provider. You may have to contact the Internet provider to get the exact correct Service name. Then click on Update Device. Reboot the Modem and then reboot the Ooma device.

If that doesn't work, go back into Ooma Setup and return the Internet Connection type to Automatic, and then Update device. Reboot the Modem and Ooma device. If you don't have PPPoE setup in your computer already, click on Start, then Help and Support. Search PPPoE. Open Make a broadband connection using Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE). Follow the directions to setup PPPoE on your computer.
Once completed, with your Internet connection Modem-Ooma-Router-Computer, type in your PPPoE Name and Password. You should connect to the Internet. If it doesn't temporarily take the router out of the configuration and try again, after rebooting everything. Usually after the first or second time of signing in this way, Ooma will remember this configuration, and you will not have to sign in this way any more. I have used the computer method of signing with PPPoE, when traveling with the Ooma Telo, and it worked fine for me.