This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84818 by InsMan
Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 pm
Thanks thunderbird,

While waiting for a response I ended up reading on the higher bandwith QoS settings. I have a 10 X 1 cable internet setup and entered the 12,000 X 1,200 settings for download and upload; I am getting better conversation quality, although there is still static on the line for both sides.

I will try your reccomendations regarding Vonage calls.
#84820 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm
InsMan wrote:Thanks thunderbird,

While waiting for a response I ended up reading on the higher bandwith QoS settings. I have a 10 X 1 cable internet setup and entered the 12,000 X 1,200 settings for download and upload; I am getting better conversation quality, although there is still static on the line for both sides.

I will try your reccomendations regarding Vonage calls.

If you are getting static, try connection only a corded phone to the Ooma device phone port. For this test, if you have a wireless phone system, unplug the wireless phone base, and any other phones. Then test.

Make sure for this test that you unplug the wireless phone base. In some cases they have been known to cause static.
#84821 by InsMan
Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Thunderbird,

I have 3 Telo Handsets that were purchased with the base so i can utilize the second phone line and for "the best connnection clarity". The static or clairity should not be an issue with the Telo Handsets and the Telo base, right?
#84823 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 pm
InsMan wrote:Thunderbird,

I have 3 Telo Handsets that were purchased with the base so i can utilize the second phone line and for "the best connnection clarity". The static or clairity should not be an issue with the Telo Handsets and the Telo base, right?

I try to never rule anything out.

I would still test with a corded phone and see if the static goes away. I would disable the Ooma Telo handsets by removing the batteries. This test will rule out one more possible.

Almost always if there is static, it comes from a phone.

Although one time someone reported static generated by an Ooma Hub after a lightening strike/power surge. The Ooma Hub still worked, but the static was so loud that it was unusable.

Another person reported that his router was causing static. When he took the router out of the mix, the static went away.

All other reports said that the phone or phone system caused the static.