This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84638 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 am
talkin2much wrote:I have the same problem with ooma(pre telo) - recommended setup - made MAC addr setting change as recommended. The longer the call goes the more it starts to drop out until it disconnects or I have to call back in with my cell. I also use Netflix in HD with no problems and have run the ISP/VOIP diagnostics - they don't show a problem. ooma has dropped me from calls with my boss and clients - it's becoming a joke. It happens mostly when my phone is muted so I don't see how upstream traffic is a factor. ooma has a pretty strong incentive to get rid of clients that aren't paying for premium services - it may be that simple - they have pretty much succeeded in getting rid of me...

How do you have your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?
#84653 by talkin2much
Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 pm
Modem-Ooma-Router. After it dropped me off a critical call this AM, I couldn't get a dial tone briefly despite my internet being up without question.
#84655 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm
talkin2much wrote:Modem-Ooma-Router. After it dropped me off a critical call this AM, I couldn't get a dial tone briefly despite my internet being up without question.

Has this problem just started or have you always had this problem?

Some things to try:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

If you can find some time to try this, maybe it will shed some light?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again but when you have a dropped call.

This time when Speed Test is done running, click on the Graph tab.

The first graph is Download speed. Looking at the red lines going across the graph, if the spaces between the red line up and down strokes, are narrow and the upstroke only goes about one quarter or less, of the way up to the top of the graph, this is pretty much normal.

But if you see very large spaces between the red up and down line stroke, and the up down stroke looks like it would go right through the top of the graph window if possible, than there probably is a problem.

Next go down to the lower left corner of the Graph page. Where it says Plot: click on the down arrow and select Upload speed. Check for the same.

If you have the wide and tall red graph lines in either the upload or download setting, try rebooting the Modem and see if the red graph line problem improves. Repeat until you see improvement.

If there is no improvement, temporarily connect your computer directly to the modem and try again. This will eliminate the Ooma device and router. That leaves only the modem or the Internet service.
#84657 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 pm
CodeMasterG wrote:yeah, that was my original setup -- same experience. i recall others reporting similar problems.

lbmofo wrote:Most likely something is happening with your router; I see that your setup is behind the router.

Before blaming it on the Telo, try connecting Ooma directly to your modem (make sure to power cycle the modem, then turn on the Telo). See if the same thing happens.

Then, your modem is highly suspect in that case.
#84700 by talkin2much
Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41 pm
I had a call today where I had to hang up ooma and call back from my cell so I ran the tests - the 1st time all was ok except jitter.
ISP VOIP test SUMMARY.JPG
ISP VOIP test SUMMARY.JPG (55.63 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
ISP VOIP test ADVANCED.JPG
ISP VOIP test ADVANCED.JPG (53.38 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
ISP VOIP test CONNECTION ANALYSIS.JPG
ISP VOIP test CONNECTION ANALYSIS.JPG (24.45 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

I reran the test and then jitter was fine. It looks like Carbonite was running some of the time so that may have been a factor but since ooma is directly attached to the DSL I would think ooma's QOS would deal with Carbonite. I changed Carbonite to run as low priority to see if that makes a difference.
#84701 by CodeMasterG
Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:59 pm
lbmofo wrote:
CodeMasterG wrote:yeah, that was my original setup -- same experience. i recall others reporting similar problems.

lbmofo wrote:Most likely something is happening with your router; I see that your setup is behind the router.

Before blaming it on the Telo, try connecting Ooma directly to your modem (make sure to power cycle the modem, then turn on the Telo). See if the same thing happens.

Then, your modem is highly suspect in that case.

If that were the case, I would expect my other services that I previously mentioned (Netflix, VPN, XBox Live) to also occasionaly experience dropped connections, but they don't so I don't think it's my modem.
#84706 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:08 pm
talkin2much:
Maximum TCP Delay 121ms (should be 100 or less)
Jitter: you-->server 28.2ms (should be less than 5ms)
Packet discards 8.0% (should be zero)

Jitter and discards is what your problem is. It may be your modem or the wiring coming in from the street. Or maybe you need to set your Ooma Setup Upstream Quality of service up to 600 or 700 kbps and run the test again.

A better test would be to temporarily disconnect the Ooma and router from the modem. Connect a computer directly to the modem; temporarily turn off the computer Wi-Fi if turned on. After a reboot of the modem, then a reboot of the computer, run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again. Pay particular attention to Jitter and packet loss. If there is still high jitter and any packet loss, then the problem is with the modem or probably the wiring going from your home to the street, or it still could be an Internet provider. But when it's Jitter: you-->server, the problem is probably coming from your side.
#84769 by talkin2much
Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 pm
The jitter improved every time I've run the test since:
Upstream.JPG
Upstream.JPG (28.36 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Downstream.JPG
Downstream.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 3075 times

I have 3 hours of conf calls Friday so that will be a good test.

Thanks!
#84807 by InsMan
Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 am
I have the Telo in front of my router connected to my cable connection for the internet for "best QoS" and it does not seem to be any better than when I had it running out of my Router a couple of months ago. I have the MAC address set to Built in. I have 2 BIG issues. First, I am dropping calls several times a day. Second, any Vonage phone customer that tries to call me gets a message saying that my number is disconnected. I can call them; so they email me to call or call me from their cell phone, they cannot call me from their VOiP line. I have run the http://speedtest.phonepower.com and these are the results.

Download Speed: 9581 kbps
Upload Seed: 980 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 90%
Upload Consistency of Service 98%
Maximum TCP Delay 55 ms
Jitter you server 2.2 ms
Jitter server you 4.7 ms
Packet loss: you server 0%
Packet loss: server you 0%
Packet discards 0%
Packets out of order 0%
Estimated MOS score 4.1

What can be done to reslove the dropped calls, the hissing/grrrrrring on the line and the echo?
#84809 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 am
InsMan:
First:
For Dropped Calls and poor Quality of Service try this.
For testing, temporarily access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

Click on advanced. Under Quality of Service: set Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): to 1000 kbps, and set Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): to 10000 kbps. Click on Update.

Remove power from you Modem, Ooma device, Router, and Wireless phone base (if you are using a wireless phone system). Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Router and Wireless phone base.

Note: You may have to set these setting down a little if you have problems with your other LAN devices, while you are on an Ooma Call.

Second:
For the Vonage problem other people have had success with this approach.
Have the Vonage phone customers that are calling you, call Vonage and complain that they can’t reach a "known working number" (Your Ooma phone number).

Contact Ooma Customer Service and complain that Vonage customers can’t reach your Ooma phone number.

Also let Ooma Customer Service know about the dropped calls, the hissing/grrrrrring on the line and the echo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST