This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84606 by CodeMasterG
Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm
I have noticed a pattern: when I am on a call for more than 20 minutes, my Telo seems to drop the call. When this happens I immediately hear a dial tone after the drop. I am able to immediately redial and reconnect with the caller. My internet connection is fine. I have been using the built in MAC and tried various QoS settings, but nothing seems to really help.

This is definitely not the service I had with POTS. Folks considering a Telo should be prepared for signficantly less reliable / lower quaility service than POTS. As long as you're willing to accept that and in return pay significantly less, then this may be the way to go. I wish I could offer a better endorsement, I like the idea of the Telo, but am not so thrilled with the implementation.
#84609 by lbmofo
Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm
Most likely something is happening with your router; I see that your setup is behind the router.

Before blaming it on the Telo, try connecting Ooma directly to your modem (make sure to power cycle the modem, then turn on the Telo). See if the same thing happens.
#84610 by CodeMasterG
Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm
yeah, that was my original setup -- same experience. i recall others reporting similar problems.

lbmofo wrote:Most likely something is happening with your router; I see that your setup is behind the router.

Before blaming it on the Telo, try connecting Ooma directly to your modem (make sure to power cycle the modem, then turn on the Telo). See if the same thing happens.
#84612 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 pm
CodeMasterG wrote:I have noticed a pattern: when I am on a call for more than 20 minutes, my Telo seems to drop the call. When this happens I immediately hear a dial tone after the drop. I am able to immediately redial and reconnect with the caller. My internet connection is fine. I have been using the built in MAC and tried various QoS settings, but nothing seems to really help.

This is definitely not the service I had with POTS. Folks considering a Telo should be prepared for signficantly less reliable / lower quaility service than POTS. As long as you're willing to accept that and in return pay significantly less, then this may be the way to go. I wish I could offer a better endorsement, I like the idea of the Telo, but am not so thrilled with the implementation.

I was looking at your past posts and I didn't see where you did the following:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again, but only when you are having dropped call problems. This time click on Graph at the left side of the window. Go down to the lower left side of the page, where it says Plot. Make sure Download speed is selected.

Looking at the red graph line, if the red graph lines are evenly spaced and the up and down strokes are even going across the page from left to right, and are placed normally in the lower quarter of the graph page, this is normal.

But if some of the red graph lines are widely spaced, and some of the red graph lines go to the top of the graph page, and look like they would go right out through the top of your computer screen if possible, than there is a problem.

Do the same for Upload speed.
#84622 by CodeMasterG
Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 am
Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at performance when this happens again. I would also add that over this same router/modem, I use:

- Netflix and don't see imtermitent connection / re-connection / rebuffering messages or problems
- A VPN to login to my work computer and that connection stays up for hours. The work I do is very interactive and any breaks interruptions would be very noticeable.
- XBox Live

So I would expect to see an occasional connection drop if my network gear or connection were the root cause.

Looking at my router's and modem's logs I see no reconnections or even packet errors for that matter. I am not experiencing excessive delay like so many others are reporting, echo, or chop that might result from excessive jitter or latency. My calls are being completely dropped (typically on calls lasting 20 mins or more, shorter calls seem fine).
#84623 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am
CodeMasterG:
Just information:
When I first started out with Ooma I had dropped calls also. There were three things that I had to do to stop the dropped calls.
First, I changed the Ooma Telo MAC address setting from Automatic to Use Built In.

Second, with my Ooma device connected behind my router, I reserved an IP address with a permanent lease, for the Ooma Telo in the router.

Third, I placed the Ooma IP address in my router DMZ.

At first when everything started working I was afraid to change anything. But later, with more confidence, I tried removing the Ooma IP address out of the DMZ, and port forwarded the port numbers that Ooma lists.
That was mostly okay, but once and a while I would still have a dropped call. With the Ooma Telo IP address in the router DMZ, there were no dropped calls. I use Norton Internet security with the Network Security Map function enabled. This provides protection from anyone trying to hack through the DMZ IP address device to the rest of the LAN devices. With a Trust Control setting of Restricted, it blocks all communication from/to the Ooma device, to/from any other device connected to my router's LAN. It works great.
I also tried to use the Ooma Telo MAC address setting returned back to Automatic. I had garbled voice and dropped calls. When I changed it back, everything returned to normal.
#84624 by talkin2much
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 am
I have the same problem with ooma(pre telo) - recommended setup - made MAC addr setting change as recommended. The longer the call goes the more it starts to drop out until it disconnects or I have to call back in with my cell. I also use Netflix in HD with no problems and have run the ISP/VOIP diagnostics - they don't show a problem. ooma has dropped me from calls with my boss and clients - it's becoming a joke. It happens mostly when my phone is muted so I don't see how upstream traffic is a factor. ooma has a pretty strong incentive to get rid of clients that aren't paying for premium services - it may be that simple - they have pretty much succeeded in getting rid of me...
#84625 by CodeMasterG
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:31 am
Thunderbird -

I have done two of three suggestions:
1. Using built in MAC
2. Permanent lease on assigned IP

One of the reasons I put my telo behind my router / firewall is to get it out of the DMZ, i really don't want it to be visible to the internet so I am reluctant to expose its IP in the DMZ. Since the telo initiates the connection to Ooma servers, can you please explain why exposing its IP in the DMZ is useful?

Thanks.
#84626 by murphy
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:45 am
Putting it in the DMZ is no different than putting it in front of the router.

Point to ponder.
When IPv6 finally goes mainstream NAT routing will be history.
Every device will have it's own public IP address and be directly on the internet.
#84635 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 am
CodeMasterG wrote:Thunderbird -

I have done two of three suggestions:
1. Using built in MAC
2. Permanent lease on assigned IP

One of the reasons I put my telo behind my router / firewall is to get it out of the DMZ, i really don't want it to be visible to the internet so I am reluctant to expose its IP in the DMZ. Since the telo initiates the connection to Ooma servers, can you please explain why exposing its IP in the DMZ is useful?

Thanks.

The Ooma devices were designed to be hung out in the WAN (or DMZ). I'd guess that probably between seventy and ninety percent of the Ooma devices live in the WAN (or DMZ) environment without any problem at all.

I do know there is a difference between port forwarding the Ooma listed ports, and putting the Ooma device in the DMZ, by the results of my own testing. The port forwarding setup will still drop calls.
Probably at those times the router is blocking either inbound or outbound traffic.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests