This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84131 by mjk0721
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am
We set up Ooma like modem, ooma, router. Everything seemed to be ok but internet connection and call quality was iffy. Changed to modem, router, ooma and internet was stable but calls would drop. I am about ready to return the ooma unless I can solve these issues. Does anyone have any ideas? I have changed the internet port to built in. Place values in the advanced for upseed of 776 and down as 14376 and I got these from the speedtest.net by adjusting the figure down 20% and adding 0's and moving the decimal point (not 100% sure if I converted right).
Any suggestions would be helpful. I am using Time Warners internet and a Belkin router. I did have phone through VOIP with ATT several years back without problems although I don't think we had a router.
Sorry for rambling but really would like to get fixed.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Michelle
#84135 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm
mjk0721 wrote:We set up Ooma like modem, ooma, router. Everything seemed to be ok but internet connection and call quality was iffy. Changed to modem, router, ooma and internet was stable but calls would drop. I am about ready to return the ooma unless I can solve these issues. Does anyone have any ideas? I have changed the internet port to built in. Place values in the advanced for upseed of 776 and down as 14376 and I got these from the speedtest.net by adjusting the figure down 20% and adding 0's and moving the decimal point (not 100% sure if I converted right).
Any suggestions would be helpful. I am using Time Warners internet and a Belkin router. I did have phone through VOIP with ATT several years back without problems although I don't think we had a router.

Michelle

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#84145 by mjk0721
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm
thunderbird wrote:
mjk0721 wrote:We set up Ooma like modem, ooma, router. Everything seemed to be ok but internet connection and call quality was iffy. Changed to modem, router, ooma and internet was stable but calls would drop. I am about ready to return the ooma unless I can solve these issues. Does anyone have any ideas? I have changed the internet port to built in. Place values in the advanced for upseed of 776 and down as 14376 and I got these from the speedtest.net by adjusting the figure down 20% and adding 0's and moving the decimal point (not 100% sure if I converted right).

Michelle

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________16411
Upload Seed: ________________960
Download Consistency of Service ______70
Upload Consistency of Service _________74
Maximum TCP Delay _____________67
Jitter you server __________.6
Jitter server you _________.4
Packet loss: you server_______0
Packet loss: server you ______0
Packet discards _________0
Packets out of order ________0
Estimated MOS score ________4.3
#84171 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:12 am
mjk0721 wrote:We set up Ooma like modem, ooma, router. Everything seemed to be ok but internet connection and call quality was iffy. Changed to modem, router, ooma and internet was stable but calls would drop.

Since you setup is now Modem-Router-Ooma, try reserving an IP address with a permanent lease, in your router for your Ooma device.
#84191 by mjk0721
Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 am
thunderbird wrote:
mjk0721 wrote:We set up Ooma like modem, ooma, router. Everything seemed to be ok but internet connection and call quality was iffy. Changed to modem, router, ooma and internet was stable but calls would drop.

Since you setup is now Modem-Router-Ooma, try reserving an IP address with a permanent lease, in your router for your Ooma device.

I still have it modem, ooma, router. I have no idea how to reserve a IP with a permanent lease, do you?
#84198 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:01 pm
mjk0721 wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

I still have it modem, ooma, router. I have no idea how to reserve a IP with a permanent lease, do you?

What is the name and model number of you Modem?

Also what is the model number of your Belkin router?
#84206 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:13 pm
mjk0721 wrote:Modem is Motorola SBV4200 and the router is Belkin F6D4230-4 v3.
Thanks!

The Motorola SBV4200 is a little older design and has some history of some problems. I saw on line where the recommdations were to try to replace it.

Do you own the Motorola SBV4200? If you are leasing it, get a later model replacement from you Internet provider. It should be free.

If you own your Motorola SBV4200 modem, purchase a new later model modem and try it. If your Ooma still doesn't work, most stores will let you take it back.
#84207 by mjk0721
Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 pm
The Motorola SBV4200 is a little older design and has some history of some problems. I saw on line where the recommdations were to try to replace it.

Do you own the Motorola SBV4200? If you are leasing it, get a later model replacement from you Internet provider. It should be free.

If you own your Motorola SBV4200 modem, purchase a new later model modem and try it. If your Ooma still doesn't work, most stores will let you take it back.[/quote]

Thank you very much for all your help. I will try to get Time Warner to replace the modem and hopefully that will solve all the probems.