This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84096 by ccsint
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 am
Hi all,

My Ooma drops pings sporadically when accessing the internal IP (172.x.x.x). This results in poor call quality, as you can imagine. Doesn't matter if it's behind the router or right into the cable modem. Mac address is built-in, set to DHCP. I have the modem internally now because when it is connected to the cable modem, it affects our internet access when the ooma starts dropping pings.

The only thing I can think to try is to replace the cable itself, which I'll do tonight. I think the unit is just defective, however, I assume there's no way I can keep my tax-free account if I were to replace it with a Telo.

Thanks,

ccsint
#84100 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 am
ccsint wrote:Hi all,

My Ooma drops pings sporadically when accessing the internal IP (172.x.x.x). This results in poor call quality, as you can imagine. Doesn't matter if it's behind the router or right into the cable modem. Mac address is built-in, set to DHCP. I have the modem internally now because when it is connected to the cable modem, it affects our internet access when the ooma starts dropping pings.

The only thing I can think to try is to replace the cable itself, which I'll do tonight. I think the unit is just defective, however, I assume there's no way I can keep my tax-free account if I were to replace it with a Telo.

Thanks,

ccsint

Here is a couple of things:

Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

If still having problems;

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#84164 by ccsint
Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 am
Left it unplugged for 30 minutes, still going offline.

Everything came back perfectly green:

DL: 32601 kbps
UP: 976kbps
DL Consistency: 91%
Upload Consistency: 95%
TCP Delay: 4ms
Pause: 1ms
Min Round trip: 12ms
Average: 13ms
Route concurrency: 1.2

Jitter: you--> server 1.0ms
Jitter: server -->you 3.5 ms
Packet loss and ordering : all 0s
MOS: 4.2
#84168 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:52 am
ccsint:
Yes your Speedtest Phonepower test look good.

Usually the Ooma device doesn't fail like this.

But the Ooma device's power adapter will some times give problems.

Some times if the Ooma device is connected to a Surge Suppressor power strip or Standby power, they may cause problems.

murphy wrote:The Hub is 12 volts DC at 1.2 amps.
The Scout is 5 volts DC at 2 amps.

The Telo is 5 volts DC at 2 amps.

The Telo and the Scout power bricks are the same.

If you know some one with an Ooma device, see if they will bring it to your home for testing your home's setup.