This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83895 by ottokrat
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm
Hi All,

Call quality used to be perfect. Lately, the last 3 weeks or so, there have been frequent sound quality issues.

What happens is the sound becomes metallic, as if it was going thru a guitar effects box. To be very specific, the sound is not cutting out: it is not stuttering or choppy. It is instead modulated, or metallic sounding.

I believe that there is a bug in their (what must be new) compression algorithm; for example, perhaps if they loose just one packet, then the decompression gets out of sync doesn't work properly for a while.

I don't think it is reasonable to blame this new generation of metallic sound quality issues on packet loss with the users' network or ISP. Many other OOMA users are experiencing these same issues. OOMA voice quality is now extremely spotty. I cannot recommend OOMA to anyone at this point in time.

:cry:
#83896 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 pm
ottokrat wrote:I don't think it is reasonable to blame this new generation of metallic sound quality issues on packet loss with the users' network or ISP. Many other OOMA users are experiencing these same issues. OOMA voice quality is now extremely spotty. I cannot recommend OOMA to anyone at this point in time. :cry:

How do you know many other Ooma users are having the same issue?
#83897 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:52 pm
Ever since the last Ooma Telo firmware update I've been hearing about this problem. The fix seems to be to adjust your Ooma Telo Quality of Service. Different people have had different results, so I'll post some suggestions that other people have used.

Setting Quality of Service:

Note: Some people have reported that 80 % is working again for the Modem-Ooma-Router setup.

Use this step ONLY if your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% (before the last firmware update it used to be 80%) of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Others, especially with higher Internet speeds, have reported that this has helped them:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

Still others have reported that this works for them:
For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#83926 by yachter
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 am
I'm a new customer having the same issue. It is sporadic but usually occurs after a call has been in progress for several/many minutes. Then after several minutes of the metallic voice, the inbound sound drops completely for a second and then the call is fine again. As far as I can tell the quality is fine on the other end at all times.

I am modem-Ooma-router and have tried all the suggestions listed above. I have noticed that my Comcast upload/download speeds are not consistant: download from 5M to 20M and upload from 1M to 10M. I just tested with QoS set slightly above those maximums but no luck. Maybe Ooma cannot handle the changes in speed.

Is there any chance that moving the Ooma after the router will work better? I have not tried that configuration but I don't see how it would correct this.
#83928 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 am
yachter wrote:I'm a new customer having the same issue. It is sporadic but usually occurs after a call has been in progress for several/many minutes. Then after several minutes of the metallic voice, the inbound sound drops completely for a second and then the call is fine again. As far as I can tell the quality is fine on the other end at all times.

I am modem-Ooma-router and have tried all the suggestions listed above. I have noticed that my Comcast upload/download speeds are not consistant: download from 5M to 20M and upload from 1M to 10M. I just tested with QoS set slightly above those maximums but no luck. Maybe Ooma cannot handle the changes in speed.

Is there any chance that moving the Ooma after the router will work better? I have not tried that configuration but I don't see how it would correct this.

Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on Internet, then go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change Automatic MAC address to Use Built In. Click on Update Device. Reboot the Ooma device, and then test.
#83931 by Hollywood
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 am
ottokrat wrote:Hi All,

Call quality used to be perfect. Lately, the last 3 weeks or so, there have been frequent sound quality issues.

What happens is the sound becomes metallic, as if it was going thru a guitar effects box. To be very specific, the sound is not cutting out: it is not stuttering or choppy. It is instead modulated, or metallic sounding.

Many other OOMA users are experiencing these same issues.

I had this issue abut 2 times where I had to hang up and call back. My moms Ooma also had it and affected incoming and outgoing calls. The only fix for her was rebooting her Ooma, and it happened a few times.
#83941 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm
yachter wrote:I'd been following the forum a while before purchasing. That is the first change I made. Thanks.

Hollywood wrote:I had this issue abut 2 times where I had to hang up and call back. My moms Ooma also had it and affected incoming and outgoing calls. The only fix for her was rebooting her Ooma, and it happened a few times.

Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Please report back in this tread if this worked or not. Thanks
#83950 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm
thunderbird wrote:
yachter wrote:I'd been following the forum a while before purchasing. That is the first change I made. Thanks.

Hollywood wrote:I had this issue abut 2 times where I had to hang up and call back. My moms Ooma also had it and affected incoming and outgoing calls. The only fix for her was rebooting her Ooma, and it happened a few times.

Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Please report back in this tread if this worked or not. Thanks

yachter:
I just saw in another post where the person had a 2Wire Modem/Router combination. His answer was to put the Ooma device in the 2Wire's DMZ-Plus.
#83958 by yachter
Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 am
So far, so good. Because of my inconsistent speed test results, I decided to turn off download QoS and I set my upload QoS at slightly below my worst speed test. As thunderbird suggested, I then powered off the Ooma for 15+ minutes. Just listened to the local movie theater schedule for about 40 minutes (they have probably added me to their block list) with good to very good call quality. Thanks all for the great information.