This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83875 by signalfire1
Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:51 pm
As the subject says, I've been getting loud banging noises, like a gunshot or someone whacking a table with a rolling pin, in the background of calls. The caller says they can't hear it and they are not making the noise. There's the usual problems with garbling and intermittent dropping of a syllable here and there, but this is giving me an earache. I may need to cancel my social life if this keeps up... :(

If you've got any suggestions, can you please do it as nontechnically as possible? I'm old, female and blonde...

Thanks!
#83877 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm
signalfire1 wrote:As the subject says, I've been getting loud banging noises, like a gunshot or someone whacking a table with a rolling pin, in the background of calls. The caller says they can't hear it and they are not making the noise. There's the usual problems with garbling and intermittent dropping of a syllable here and there, but this is giving me an earache. I may need to cancel my social life if this keeps up... :(

If you've got any suggestions, can you please do it as nontechnically as possible? I'm old, female and blonde...

Thanks!
signalfire1 wrote:"I've been getting loud banging noises, like a gunshot or someone whacking a table with a rolling pin, in the background of calls."

Info only:
Issues with DTMF Talk-Off:
Talk-Off, or Talkoff, is the term that describes when a human voice is able to trigger touch tones, or DTMF tones during a telephone call. Talk-Off occurs when a signal processing system tries to translate sounds into to touch tones. Some people's voices are able to recreate touch tones frequently relative to the general population.
Info only:
Human Voice as DTMF:
Talk-Off is possible as human voices speak in the same frequencies as DTMF combinations. Unlike real touch tones generated using telephone keypads, human-voice created touch tones are not sustainable and can generally be isolated by algorithms created to determine true DTMF. However, occasionally a speech signal will momentarily contain strong frequencies in just the right frequency bands which then occur as DTMF sounds.

Suggestion:
These noises are called DTMF tones (Phone Key Pad tones), caused by the person that is talking's voice. In many cases if that person's phone volume is turned down slightly, it will help. Also if you turn your phone's volume down slightly with should also help.
signalfire1 wrote:"There's the usual problems with garbling and intermittent dropping of a syllable here and there, but this is giving me an earache."

Suggestion:
Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause garbling, echo and delay. Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.
Test again and see if there is a difference.

Suggestion:
If you problems continue, to help with garbling etc.:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.
***OR***
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.
#84400 by signalfire1
Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:11 pm
Thanks for the response, but the 'beep' noise, such as touching a number on the keypad, is NOT the problem. As I specified, it's a loud BANG, sounds like the person on the other end is hitting a wooden table with a rolling pin. It's quite loud and yet they cannot hear it. Just me with an Ooma.

Anyone else out there with a real fix? I tried rebooting the system, etc.
#84409 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:01 pm
signalfire1 wrote:Thanks for the response, but the 'beep' noise, such as touching a number on the keypad, is NOT the problem. As I specified, it's a loud BANG, sounds like the person on the other end is hitting a wooden table with a rolling pin. It's quite loud and yet they cannot hear it. Just me with an Ooma.

Anyone else out there with a real fix? I tried rebooting the system, etc.

Did you try Hollywood's suggestion?

Is the problem with only one person being called or all people?

Is the problem when the other party calls or when you make the call?

When this is happening, did you try turning your phone volume down?

When this is happening, did you have person on the other end turn their phone volume down?

You could always contact Ooma Customer support.
They will want the number that you called, or the number of the person that called you.

They will want the date and time when the call was placed.

The call has to have been placed or recieved fairly recently.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#127612 by Oomaloopa
Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:17 pm
I'm having the same issue with my Ooma Hub - it's a very loud and frequent banging sound, exactly as the OP described, almost like someone slamming a table violently with something. Other person never hears it, but it is getting so bad I can hardly make out what the other person is saying. This is with either incoming or outgoing calls. Last week I power cycled my Hub and that seemed to fix the issue, but it was back within a day. Anyone else hearing this on their Ooma? Is there a permanent fix?