This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83725 by jmart
Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 am
I have been using ooma telo for over a year now at the same location with the same router, modem, and internet service the entire time. Originally I had it setup: modem > router > telo. The setup had no issues, plug and play just like the included setup guide says, and I went over 6 months without any problems. Than I would occasionally go to use the phone and there would be no service. I would have internet access on my wifi network with all my devices, but the ooma flower would be flashing red. I would reset the router and telo and it would start working again. This started to happen more frequently though, so I decided to use the suggested setup of: modem > telo > router. This seemed to fix the issue and I had no more problems for several months.

Lately though I started having the same issue again. This time it is more annoying since the ooma is in between the modem and router when it stops working I don't have internet access on my wifi devices. So, I won't always notice the red flashing flower until I go to use my laptop and don't have internet access. I will have access to my home wifi network, but no internet. The modem lights will indicate that everything is good with it, but the red flower will be flashing on the telo. I'll reset the modem, telo, and router, and everything will be fine again. This has happened several times now over the past couple of months, and seems to be increasing in frequency. My modem is old, and my router is not very new either, but both indicate that they are working fine. I'm hesitant to buy a new router if I don't necessarily need one, and I could probably have TWC give me a new modem since mine is so old, but dealing with them is a giant pain that I'd rather not do unless I have to. Besides, my speed seems fine to me ---- I stream netflix over wifi on my PS3 all the time and never have any latency issues with that (so I'm pretty happy). My call quality has always been great with ooma, it's just getting annoying to have to reset everything.

I have never messed with the settings on the http://172.27.35.1 site (which I didn't even know about until researching my issue on this forum this morning), and would be reluctant to do anything without specific instructions ---- I am not overly technical, but can definitely follow detailed instructions :D If my current setting on that site would be beneficial in troubleshooting this I can post them, just let me know which ones. Also, I can give more details on my router and modem models (but it really doesn't seem to be an issue with them since they are working fine).

Thanks for any help!
#83727 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:11 am
jmart:
We'll start with two things:
One:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

Two:
Even though your other LAN equipment if functioning just fine, VoIP service has tighter, higher requirements, and with this test something might show up.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#83736 by jmart
Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:44 pm
Hi Thunderbird,

Thanks for the help. I made the setting change from automatic to built-in like you suggested, and reset everything. Then I did the speed test. Here are my Results:

thunderbird wrote:Download Speed: ____6569 kbps____________
Upload Seed: _______985 kbps_________
Download Consistency of Service __88 %______
Upload Consistency of Service ____99 %_____
Maximum TCP Delay _____60 ms________
Jitter you server ____2.9 ms______
Jitter server you __5.5 ms_______
Packet loss: you server__0.0 %_____
Packet loss: server you ___0.0 %___
Packet discards ___1.4 %______
Packets out of order ____0.0 %_____
Estimated MOS score ____4.1____

This was over wifi. I didn't think about actually connecting my laptop to my modem or router until after I did the test. I hope that's okay.

Thanks Again!
#83742 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm
jmart wrote:Hi Thunderbird,

Thanks for the help. I made the setting change from automatic to built-in like you suggested, and reset everything. Then I did the speed test. Here are my Results:

thunderbird wrote:Download Speed: ____6569 kbps____________
Upload Seed: _______985 kbps_________
Download Consistency of Service __88 %______
Upload Consistency of Service ____99 %_____
Maximum TCP Delay _____60 ms________
Jitter you server ____2.9 ms______
Jitter server you __5.5 ms_______
Packet loss: you server__0.0 %_____
Packet loss: server you ___0.0 %___
Packet discards ___1.4 %______
Packets out of order ____0.0 %_____
Estimated MOS score ____4.1____

This was over wifi. I didn't think about actually connecting my laptop to my modem or router until after I did the test. I hope that's okay.

Thanks Again!

Jitter server you __5.5 ms_______ is slightly high, but probably not a problem.
Packet discards ___1.4 %______ should be Zero, and could be a problem.
Every other reading looks good.

I think what I would do is test the change that you made and see if that helps before doing any other things right now. Then if you continue to have problems, post them.
#83760 by jmart
Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 am
Thanks Tunderbird,

I'm glad to hear that everything looks pretty good for the most part. Hopefully that setting I changed will resolve the issue. I'll let you know if it continues to happen.

Thanks again!
Last edited by jmart on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
#83976 by jmart
Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:51 am
Hey Thunderbird,

After making the change you suggested I haven't had any problems, until today. Same thing --- my devices connect to my wifi network, but no internet. The ooma telo flower is flashing red. A reset of the modem and telo fixes the issue. Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to try, or if there is anything additional info I can provide to help troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Jim
#83981 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:37 am
jmart wrote:Hey Thunderbird,

After making the change you suggested I haven't had any problems, until today. Same thing --- my devices connect to my wifi network, but no internet. The ooma telo flower is flashing red. A reset of the modem and telo fixes the issue. Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to try, or if there is anything additional info I can provide to help troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Jim

Sound like there are Internet interuptions.

Remember this:
Packet discards ___1.4 %______ should be Zero, and could be a problem.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again.

This time when Speed Test is done running, click on the Graph tab.

The first graph is Download speed. Looking at the red lines going across the graph, if the spaces between the red line up and down stroke, are narrow and the upstroke only goes about half to three quarters, or less, of the way up to the top of the graph, this is pretty much normal.

But if you see very large spaces between the red up and down line stroke, and the up down stroke would go right through the top of the graph window if possible, than there probably is a problem with the Internet provider, or the wiring coming in from the street to the house.

Next go down to the lower left corner of the Graph page. Where it says Plot: click on the down arrow and select Upload speed.

Looking at the red lines going across the graph, if the spaces between the red line up and down stroke, are narrow and the upstroke only goes about half to three quarters, or less, of the way up to the top of the graph, this is pretty much normal.

But if you see very large spaces between the red up and down line stroke, and the up down stroke would go right through the top of the graph window, than there probably is a problem with your Modem, or still could be the Internet provider, or the wiring coming in from the street to the house.

If you have the wide and tall red graph lines in either the upload or download setting, try rebooting the Modem and see if the red graph line problem improves. Repeat until you see improvement. If there is no Improvement, you may have to call your Internet provider or try a new modem.

Another thing to try is:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.