This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83410 by krawfo
Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 am
I've had these units for almost 2 years with no problems. Great call quality, etc. After a thunderstorm, my Scout quit working. If I plug it directly into the Hub it works fine. If I connect them with a 10 foot cable all is well. If I use a 50 ft cable, the Scout won't work.
At the same time I've been having problems with static on my calls. Many calls to tech. support failed to resolve that issue.
I'm beginning to wonder if my OOMA Hub has a problem even though it is "working". Maybe not putting out a strong enough signal to power the Scout 50 ft away? Is this also related to the static?
Thing I've tried to eliminate static include:
Disconnect router
Disconnect Scout
Tried using a different phone unit.
Replaced ethernet cable.
Tried different A/C outlet
Test call quality with Visualware - no problems with dropped packets, jitter, etc.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Ken
#83414 by krawfo
Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 pm
T'Bird - you nailed it. I happened to have an extra 12V 1 amp wall wort laying around. That got my Scout back to work. If you're up for another miracle, any ideas on the static? The new wort didn't fix that.
#83415 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:00 pm
krawfo wrote:T'Bird - you nailed it. I happened to have an extra 12V 1 amp wall wort laying around. That got my Scout back to work. If you're up for another miracle, any ideas on the static? The new wort didn't fix that.

I was hoping that the power adapter would have corrected to static issue also.

If you have a DSL filter lying around, try connecting the DSL filter in the phone circuit, even if you don't use DSL Internet service.
#83416 by murphy
Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:31 pm
krawfo wrote:T'Bird - you nailed it. I happened to have an extra 12V 1 amp wall wort laying around. That got my Scout back to work. If you're up for another miracle, any ideas on the static? The new wort didn't fix that.

The Scout requires a 5 Volt power supply. 12 volts will destroy it.
#83443 by krawfo
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 am
T'Bird - I got a DLS filter today and installed it. No joy. Still full of static. I went by Costco last week and picked up a Telo unit. I just installed it and the static is gone. Problem solved but I'm $189 poorer !
#83454 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:39 pm
krawfo wrote:T'Bird - I got a DLS filter today and installed it. No joy. Still full of static. I went by Costco last week and picked up a Telo unit. I just installed it and the static is gone. Problem solved but I'm $189 poorer !

Well at least you tried.

These thread probably aren't very helpful but:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=189&hilit=Ooma+Hub+Static

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203&p=735&hilit=Ooma+Hub+Static#p735

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=503&p=2061&hilit=Ooma+Hub+Static#p2061

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=763&p=3357&hilit=Ooma+Hub+Static#p3357