This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83141 by Purds
Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 am
Hi all:

Here is my set up, and I hope you can help. I am experiencing a delay, about 2-3 seconds. I also have a question in general: when I reset things on http://172.27.35.1/, how do I do that and then how do I reboot or otherwise have those take effect? While I have read quite a bit and found some information for me, I am not sure about some of the terminology.

Router --> Ooma telo ---> Belkin wireless modem

Moved the Telo about 3-4 feet from the router and modem.

I have tried QoS at 700 and 0 upstream. Neither helped.

I have set MAC addresses to built in.

Here are my specs on the modem:

Downstream Value
Frequency 219000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.9 dB
Power Level 10.5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 32496000 Hz
Power 46.8 dBmV

Here are my speedtest.phonepower.com scores

Download speed 2913 kbps
Upload speed 610 kbps
Download consistency 66%
Upload consistency 91%
Max TCP delay 110 ms
Ave download pause 8 ms
Min. round trip time to server 100 ms
Ave round trip time to server 103 ms
estimated download bandwidth 11200 kbps
route concurrency 3.8447068
Download TCP forced idle 55%
Max route speed 5242 kbps

Jitter you--> server 2.7 ms
Jitter server --> you 0.5 ms
packet loss you ---> server 0.2%
packet loss server --> you 0.4%
packet discard 0.0 %
packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 3.7
#83144 by EricJRW
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:01 am
I'm not very good with the numbers, but I'll take a stab at the network topology.

The recommended setup is:

Modem <---> ooma <---> router

Modem can be DSL, cable, and although Verizon calls it something else, I generically mean that connection too (to ISP).
ooma is hub or telo ("Internet" port goes to the modem, the "home" port goes to router)
Router/hub/switch, obviously used to share the connections

This setup allows the ooma device to prioritize the voice traffic.

If your wireless device is also your "modem", then any wireless traffic may affect voice quality.

In my case I do have FiOS, so I find my speeds sufficient enough that voice is not affected by network activity, so my setup looks like this:

Modem <---> router
|---> ooma
|---> DVR
|---> PC

My "modem' (I think Verizon calls it a router), in addition to 4 Ethernet ports, is also wireless. I have no trouble with this setup.

Lastly, I see the words "echo" and "delay" come up a lot, so a search of the forums (if you have not done so already) may turn up more info.
#83145 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 am
Purds, your downstream power level on the modem is right on the edge...should be as close to zero as possible. Couple that with packet loss, can you have your cable company check out your line condition? Do you have any splitters before your modem? That could be putting a damper on things too.
#83147 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 am
Purds:
I am listing all of the things that have helped others in the past.

First make sure that FAX mode is turn off in your Ooma Telo (don't apply to Hub) My Ooma pages. Go to Preferences, Phone Numbers, click on the phone number that you are using. Uncheck the box Enable FAX Mode.

Temporarily try connecting corded a phone that you aren't now using with Ooma, to your Ooma device Phone port, with no other phones connected. Make sure that if you were using wireless phone system(s), in the building where the Ooma device is located, make sure the wireless phone base(s) have power removed for this test. Then make and receive calls for testing.

Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause echo and delay.
Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.
Test again and see if there is a difference.

A few times it has been found that when using an Ooma Telo along with a router that has Wi-Fi, that there will be a conflict. Try going into your router's wireless setup and changing the wireless frequency from Automatic to one of the listed frequencies and test.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
#83150 by Purds
Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 am
EricJRW wrote:I'm not very good with the numbers, but I'll take a stab at the network topology.

Of course, you are right. My terminology is, as I said, not the best. My set up is actually:

Cable modem (motorola) --> Ooma Telo ---> Belkin wireless router ---> Tivo, computer, iPad, etc.
#83154 by EricJRW
Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 am
Purds wrote:
EricJRW wrote:I'm not very good with the numbers, but I'll take a stab at the network topology.

Of course, you are right. My terminology is, as I said, not the best. My set up is actually:

Cable modem (motorola) --> Ooma Telo ---> Belkin wireless router ---> Tivo, computer, iPad, etc.

That should give best network performance, so you are good there. Now it's time for all the other tried and true recommendations, which I see thunderbird has already supplied.

Based on my time in the forums, you'll get plenty of help.
#83187 by Purds
Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:09 pm
lbmofo wrote:Purds, your downstream power level on the modem is right on the edge...should be as close to zero as possible. Couple that with packet loss, can you have your cable company check out your line condition? Do you have any splitters before your modem? That could be putting a damper on things too.

I'll try this in the morning. Do I simply ask them to do it from their end, or do they need to come out?
#83222 by jhphone
Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 am
thunderbird wrote:Purds:
I am listing all of the things that have helped others in the past.
Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause echo and delay.
Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.
Test again and see if there is a difference.

Voodoo and potatoes, whatever, "have been found to cause echo and delay", blah blah.

Billshit.

Delay requires buffering of digitized packets.

So, in the real world -- not in the Harry Potter world where you get to make things up with your keyboard -- please explain how "Electrical/electronic equipment located to close ..." can cause this buffering.

You cannot.