This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83039 by jelloice
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 pm
I am a new Ooma user, and I'm experiencing broken phone conversations. The gaps are in both directions, on both incoming and outgoing calls, and are usually 1-3 seconds in length. I can count on this happening on almost every call. It's to the point that I'm going to revert to ATT if I can't get it corrected.

The Ooma Teleo is connected behind a Linksys WRT54G router. I'm using this configuration because the Ooma won't forward port 22 when it's between the modem and router. I have the router's QoS set up to give the Ooma's MAC the highest priority. I'm connected to DSL (6 Mb down, 768 Kb up). I am consistently seeing speed test numbers of 5Mb/640Kb, but sometimes I see packet loss of over 15%, so I'm assuming that's what's causing the gaps. Per an earlier thread, I've changed the Teleo's QoS settings to use the built-in MAC address, set the upstream and downstream speeds to zero, and rebooted the Teleo, but that hasn't helped.

I have a background in IT, and I'm comfortable experimenting. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance . . .
#83040 by murphy
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 pm
Did you use the correct MAC address for the QOS setup in the router?
The one on the bottom label is for the Home port. The internet port MAC address is one greater than the Home port MAC address.

Have you run a test with a computer connected directly to the modem? If you have packet loss in that configuration there is nothing you can do in the router or the ooma to fix the problem. DSL modems do fail due to being connected directly to a phone line where they can be damaged by nearby lightning strikes.
#83041 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 pm
jelloice wrote:I am a new Ooma user, and I'm experiencing broken phone conversations. The gaps are in both directions, on both incoming and outgoing calls, and are usually 1-3 seconds in length. I can count on this happening on almost every call. It's to the point that I'm going to revert to ATT if I can't get it corrected.

The Ooma Teleo is connected behind a Linksys WRT54G router. I'm using this configuration because the Ooma won't forward port 22 when it's between the modem and router. I have the router's QoS set up to give the Ooma's MAC the highest priority. I'm connected to DSL (6 Mb down, 768 Kb up). I am consistently seeing speed test numbers of 5Mb/640Kb, but sometimes I see packet loss of over 15%, so I'm assuming that's what's causing the gaps. Per an earlier thread, I've changed the Teleo's QoS settings to use the built-in MAC address, set the upstream and downstream speeds to zero, and rebooted the Teleo, but that hasn't helped.

I have a background in IT, and I'm comfortable experimenting. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance . . .

Sounds like your modem or Internet connection from you Internet provider to your modem is malfunctioning.

Some ideas:
To prove this, disconnect the network cable from your modem, and connect using a network cable from your modem to a computer's wired LAN port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is on. Reboot your modem, then computer.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/. After the test click on the Advanced tab and post.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Post those results.

Next click on the Graph Tab. Go down to the Left lower side where you will see the word Plot:
Look at all four plots.
Pay attention to the Download Speed and Upload speed plots. Look at the red graph lines.
If you have a very few narrow red spikes going up to about 3/4 of the way to the top of the graph, they are not good, but probably won't cause a problem.

If you have red spikes that are wide and go to the top of the graph and farther if there was room, there is your problem.
Either the modem or Internet provider's signal isn't good.
If you see this especially on the Upload side, it most likely the spikes being generated from the modem.

Before buying a new modem, see if it has a modem factory rest. Many times this will cure the problem.

Some times if you reboot the Modem, and test with http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ you will get different results. Better or worse. While in China with our Ooma Telo, I had to reboot the Modem and Ooma Telo up to twenty times to get a good connection. When I did the calls were great, with no echo, delay, grabbled voice, or anything.
#83050 by jelloice
Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:40 am
Thank you both for your advice. It looks like I need a new DSL modem. I am consistently getting multiple upload pauses of over 500 milliseconds in a single test. Resetting the modem didn't change anything, so I'll be off to Best Buy (or Fry's) tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it, then I guess I'll have to do battle with AT&T (yuck).

Murphy, yes I have the right MAC address in the router's QoS settings, but thanks for asking. I'm using the address as reported by the router, which, as you said, is one higher than the one printed on the bottom of the Telo.

Again, thanks to you both. If you're interested, I'll post an update after I get the new modem.

Regards,

Jim
#83051 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:19 am
jelloice wrote:If you're interested, I'll post an update after I get the new modem.

Regards,

Jim

I'm interested and I'm sure that many people that read this forum will be interested, because it should help them, if they have a similar problem. Thunderbird
#83168 by jelloice
Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm
Well, it's time for a status update. I'm not sure that the situation is completely resolved, but I'm hopeful. I bought a new DSL modem at Best Buy over the weekend (Actiontec GT701D, $49.99). Before I swapped the Siemens Speedstream 4100 out of the lineup, I thought I'd run a few more tests. Surprise! The numbers started looking a lot better. And when I called AT&T (using the Ooma) to get the DSL line checked out, there weren't any drops in the conversation. So, I was a bit confused, to say the least. Further testing has led me to believe that turning the Speedstream off and on sometimes gave me a good connection, but most of the time it was bad. I wasn't sure if it was AT&T or the modem, so I called AT&T a second time. I got bumped to their second level support, and they couldn't see anything wrong with the circuit, so I swapped in the new Actiontec to see what would happen.

As of right now, I've cycled the Actiontec several times, both with and without the router in the lineup. So far, the test results have been consistently better than before. I'm still seeing some occasional outliers, but I haven't seen any packet loss, and the delays are almost never more than 100 ms. Oftentimes I won't see any delays of more than 20ms on the upload side.

I will update this post after a week of experience to render a final opinion, but right now it's looking good.

Two final notes.

1. There is a good description of the speed test that Phonepower is hosting at http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Speed_Test. I would encourage anyone who uses the speed test at http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to read it.

2. I think Ooma should step up to the plate and host their own speed test server instead of having us piggy back on a competitor's site. See http://www.visualware.com/ for more info.

Thanks to Thurnderbird and Murphy for their suggestions. It's people like them that make this all work.

Regards to all,

Jim
#83463 by jelloice
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 pm
Final status update.

The problem's been resolved. It must have been the modem, because my line quality has been consistently good, both as measured by http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and by all the phone conversations I've had over the past week. I haven't had a single instance of a dropped conversation segment.

Thanks again Thunderbird and Murphy. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Jim
#83464 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 pm
jelloice wrote:Final status update.

The problem's been resolved. It must have been the modem, because my line quality has been consistently good, both as measured by http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and by all the phone conversations I've had over the past week. I haven't had a single instance of a dropped conversation segment.

Thanks again Thunderbird and Murphy. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Jim

Jim: I'm glad you found the road to success.