This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82923 by rwinnike
Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:27 am
I have been using Ooma for a couple months now. I have a cable connection (Road Runner Extreme) using the Modem-Ooma-Router setup between an Ubee modem and an Apple Time Capsule. My calls usually work ok, but sometimes drop. Calls over 20 min almost always drop. Very annoying. The following advice from Thunderbird seems to apply to me, but I am unable to access http://172.27.35.1. My web browser keeps timing out after trying for a minute or 2 to access this address. Any advice?

From Thunderbird:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.
#82924 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 am
That setup page is accessible from computers connected to the "Home" port. Look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11805#p82857

Calls consistently dropping? Highly likely you have issues with your internet (modem, router etc) rather than Ooma having issues. Check out this post by me with a couple of links in it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11651&start=30#p82913
#82925 by rwinnike
Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:59 am
Thanks for the quick feedback!

Ok, I changed the INTERNET Port MAC Address to Use Built In with no problem. Thanks for the clear instructions on how to do this. I will report back in a day or so if I am still getting dropped calls.

Just to clarify my earlier comment, my calls were dropping intermittently (at various time lengths). I noticed on the call log that the longer calls that I was on (i.e. >~20 min) usually dropped.

Thanks again.
Last edited by rwinnike on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
#82926 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 am
rwinnike wrote:Thanks for the quick feedback! Are you suggesting that I change my setup from Modem-Ooma-Router to the setup in the link you provided (in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11805#p82857) before I change the setting from "Automatic" to "Use Built-in"?

You may have to try using a different webb browser. You may have to try temporarily turning off virus and firewall security in your computer.
Then try typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser window again, before going to the next step.
If that doesn't work go to next step.

Next Step:
I think what lbmofo is trying to say is you can temporarily disconnect your router network cable from the Ooma Home port. Then connect a network cable from a computer's wired LAN port, to the Home port of Ooma Telo Home port. Temporarily disable Wi-Fi in the computer. Reboot the computer and type http://172.27.35.1 in you computer's browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Computer, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.
You may have to try using a different webb browser. You may have to try turning off virus and firewall security in your computer.

If you continue to have problems:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here in this thread:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#82943 by rwinnike
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am
Well, already my Ooma telo seems to be cutting off worse after changing the INTERNET Port MAC Address setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Although I haven't been on the phone talking, the Ooma box has been flashing red at least 3 times in the past 2 hours (and that's just while I happened to be near the phone to see it).

I ran the speed test and got the following data:
Download Speed: 20.2 Mbps
Upload Seed: 5.12 Mbps
Download Consistency of Service 75%
Upload Consistency of Service 96%
Maximum TCP Delay 54 ms
Jitter you server 1.2 ms
Jitter server you 1.6 ms
Packet loss: you server 0
Packet loss: server you 0
Packet discards 0
Packets out of order 0
Estimated MOS score 4.2

Any ideas?

PS I just updated the "Upstream Internet Speed" setting (under "Quality of Service") to 4000 (from the default of 384). I'll see if that helps anything.
#82944 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 pm
rwinnike wrote:Well, already my Ooma telo seems to be cutting off worse after changing the INTERNET Port MAC Address setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Although I haven't been on the phone talking, the Ooma box has been flashing red at least 3 times in the past 2 hours (and that's just while I happened to be near the phone to see it).

I ran the speed test and got the following data:
Download Speed: 20.2 Mbps
Upload Seed: 5.12 Mbps
Download Consistency of Service 75%
Upload Consistency of Service 96%
Maximum TCP Delay 54 ms
Jitter you server 1.2 ms
Jitter server you 1.6 ms
Packet loss: you server 0
Packet loss: server you 0
Packet discards 0
Packets out of order 0
Estimated MOS score 4.2

Any ideas?

PS I just updated the "Upstream Internet Speed" setting (under "Quality of Service") to 4000 (from the default of 384). I'll see if that helps anything.

Your Speedtest results are good.

If the red Ooma symbol is coming on and then going off, it means that the Internet signal to the Ooma Telo is being is being interrupted.

First if you have a Modem Manual check about doing a modem reset.
See if there is a reset or reset button on the back of your modem. If there is follow the directions in the manual and reset your modem.

Try removing power from your Ooma Telo for at least 15 minutes, and then repower the Ooma Telo. This will cause the Ooma servers to download new information/setting for your Ooma Telo.
#82948 by rwinnike
Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 pm
To clarify my earlier note, while the Ooma icon was flashing red, my internet connection seemed to be working fine (at least from my intenet browser and email connection). It continued flashing for a few minutes and I became impatient and unplugged/replugged the box to reset it, and it seemed to boot up fine... but it didn't last. It flashed red and I rebooted it 3 times over about a 2 hour period.

It has been working fine since I updated the upstream setting to 4000. We'll see if this continues.

I will also try a modem reset and turning off my Ooma for 15 min.

Thanks again.
#82951 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 pm
rwinnike wrote:To clarify my earlier note, while the Ooma icon was flashing red, my internet connection seemed to be working fine (at least from my intenet browser and email connection). It continued flashing for a few minutes and I became impatient and unplugged/replugged the box to reset it, and it seemed to boot up fine... but it didn't last. It flashed red and I rebooted it 3 times over about a 2 hour period.

It has been working fine since I updated the upstream setting to 4000. We'll see if this continues.

I will also try a modem reset and turning off my Ooma for 15 min.

Thanks again.

If you still are having problems, after an Ooma reboot of 15 minutes, it might be that your Ooma Tunnel is becoming disconnected. If the red Ooma flashing symbol happens again, you can view the Ooma Tunnel status by going into Ooma Setup and clicking on Status.
Do this while the red Ooma symbol is flashing.
View:
TO INTERNET port: should show Connected and the IP address issued by the Router.
OOMA Tunnel: should say Connected.

If TO INTERNET port: shows Connected and the IP address, but Ooma Tunnel show Disconnected, there is a problem with your Ooma profile.
Then you need to contact Ooma Customer Support to correct the problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#82952 by rwinnike
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm
Well, the Ooma icon started flashing red again about 15 min after my last post. CRAP! Interestingly, my computer internet connection (wireless) seems fine. This time I waited several minutes to see if it would stop flashing red, and after at least 5 min it never did. So, I unplugged the Ooma box and will wait 15+ minutes for it to reboot this time.

I'm am a somewhat afraid to do a modem reset, as this puts things back in the factory default setting, and I'm not confident that I will get the custom configuration right. (Am I being too much of a woose?) I may have to call Time-Warner about this.
#82955 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm
rwinnike wrote:Well, the Ooma icon started flashing red again about 15 min after my last post. CRAP! Interestingly, my computer internet connection (wireless) seems fine. This time I waited several minutes to see if it would stop flashing red, and after at least 5 min it never did. So, I unplugged the Ooma box and will wait 15+ minutes for it to reboot this time.

I'm am a somewhat afraid to do a modem reset, as this puts things back in the factory default setting, and I'm not confident that I will get the custom configuration right. (Am I being too much of a woose?) I may have to call Time-Warner about this.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. You have some other thing you can try, so when done with those and you are still having problems, contact Time-Warner.