This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82726 by CodeMasterG
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:30 pm
Twice today, my Telo dropped my call when I was placed on hold for an extended period (seems to be around 20 mins). I was in a queue to call center with significant call delay and had my phone on speaker. Is it possible that the Telo terminates a call if it detects no voice from my phone after 20 mins?
#82730 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm
CodeMasterG wrote:Twice today, my Telo dropped my call when I was placed on hold for an extended period (seems to be around 20 mins). I was in a queue to call center with significant call delay and had my phone on speaker. Is it possible that the Telo terminates a call if it detects no voice from my phone after 20 mins?

Anything is possible, but I don't think so. Are you having dropped calls at other times?

When I first started using Ooma, we had the same kind of problem. I though the same thing. But we also started having dropped calls at other times.

If you start having dropped calls during other times, try going into your Ooma Setup Web pages and changing from Automatic to Use Built In MAC address. This prevents MAC address spoofing. When using MAC address spoofing, some modems and router will have conflicts with the Ooma device, which will cause dropped calls and poor Quality of Service.

For the next two suggestions, use only if your Ooma setup is Modem-Router-Ooma.
The next thing that often helps with dropped calls is to reserve a static IP address in you router for the Ooma device's MAC address.
If the dropped call problem continues, place the Ooma device's static IP address on your router's DMZ.
#82755 by CodeMasterG
Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:23 pm
Thunderbird -- This only seemsto happen when i am placed n hold for tens of minutes, i've not had this problem during "normal" calls. As a test during my last on-hold session, I spoke into the phone every ten minutes or so and found the call did not get dropped. After a whopping 40+ minutes of being on hold, I finally got a service rep and was able to complete the call as normal, I know this was just one data point, but seems to be cause-and-effect. Fortunately, I rarely have calls like this, but wanted to post the scenario to see if others have experienecd this.

Thanks.
#82761 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm
CodeMasterG wrote:Thunderbird -- This only seemsto happen when i am placed n hold for tens of minutes, i've not had this problem during "normal" calls. As a test during my last on-hold session, I spoke into the phone every ten minutes or so and found the call did not get dropped. After a whopping 40+ minutes of being on hold, I finally got a service rep and was able to complete the call as normal, I know this was just one data point, but seems to be cause-and-effect. Fortunately, I rarely have calls like this, but wanted to post the scenario to see if others have experienecd this.

Thanks.

It will be instresting if it happens again.
CodeMasterG wrote:I spoke into the phone every ten minutes or so and found the call did not get dropped.

When I was having problems, I did the same thing. ;)