This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82624 by colbywen
Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 am
I experienced recent call drops or can't make a call sometimes after the firmware got updated to the latest 45073 version. I have been using for two months and it seldom has problems until the OOMA push this new version of firmware.
I also noticed it seems OOMA will hold about 100K upload bandwidth from time to time on this firmware. I checked it to find
the bandwidth is lost about 100k whenever I got the call drop issue. Then I need to reboot the dsl modem, OOMA Telco and my home router to get back it to normal. I tried to call the phone support representative and it is awful and they don't know
much about it. I used all my home network after OOMA Telco, so my OOMA telco connects to DSL modem directly and my phone and linksys wirless router connect to OOMA.
#82627 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 am
colbywen:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you continue to have problems post those problems and the results of the test below:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#82629 by colbywen
Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:25 am
Hi,

I was instructed my the OOMA phone support person to config QOS with 85% of upload speed and 15% of the download
speed before. Is it not true for the new firmware of 45073 now because you suggested me to zero out the value now.
What's the purpose of doing MAC address change from Automatic to Use Built In ? Please share some info with me. I am
an advance user and know the networking.

Thanks,

Colby
#82631 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:54 am
colbywen wrote:Hi,

I was instructed my the OOMA phone support person to config QOS with 85% of upload speed and 15% of the download
speed before. Is it not true for the new firmware of 45073 now because you suggested me to zero out the value now.
What's the purpose of doing MAC address change from Automatic to Use Built In ? Please share some info with me. I am
an advance user and know the networking.
Thanks,
Colby

When the MAC address is set to Automatic, MAC Address Spoofing is enabled. There seems to be a conflict between modems/routers and Ooma devices when MAC Address Spoofing is enabled. In many, many cases, this setting will cause dropped calls, garbled voice transmissions, and other problems. Using Built In MAC Address resolves those problems.

Since the new firmware 45073 release, there have been problems with Quality of Service in the Ooma Telos. It seems like the old about 80% Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings is not working so well for many people.

Some people have found that just by setting both Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to Zero, this will solve there QoS problems.

Other people have found that setting the QoS Upstream and Downstream settings to about 1000 kbps above the highest measured http://www.speedtest.net/ Upload and Downlaod speeds, resolves their QoS problems.

Other people have found that setting the QoS Upstream and Downstream settings to about 90% of the highest measured http://www.speedtest.net/ Upload and Downlaod speeds, resolves their QoS problems.

Try it, test, and see for your self.
#82837 by CodeMasterG
Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm
My setup is modem --> router --> telo. I experimented with upstream / dwonstream settings and noticed that when I set them both to zero (supposedly to disable QoS), i started experiencing dropped calls. When the call was dropped, I noticed the Telo was flashing red, but would then about 30s later the red flower would go away. I have changed my settings back to 1024/1024 and will see if it still drops calls.

Given my setup. I have to wonder if QoS settings really have any meaning though. Since my telo sits behind the router, what bandwidth decisions can it really make? I guess in such a configuration, the upstream QoS setting for bandwidth really acts as a bandwidth limit; i.e. the upstream setting puts a cap on how much upstream bandwidth the telo can use.
#82839 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm
CodeMasterG wrote:My setup is modem --> router --> telo. I experimented with upstream / dwonstream settings and noticed that when I set them both to zero (supposedly to disable QoS), i started experiencing dropped calls. When the call was dropped, I noticed the Telo was flashing red, but would then about 30s later the red flower would go away. I have changed my settings back to 1024/1024 and will see if it still drops calls.

Given my setup. I have to wonder if QoS settings really have any meaning though. Since my telo sits behind the router, what bandwidth decisions can it really make? I guess in such a configuration, the upstream QoS setting for bandwidth really acts as a bandwidth limit; i.e. the upstream setting puts a cap on how much upstream bandwidth the telo can use.

I don't know if you have done this already but another thing that helps for dropped calls is to Use Built In MAC address.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

The next thing that helps for dropped calls is reserve a static IP address in your Router for the Ooma device's MAC address.