This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110575 by domm
Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 am
lbmofo wrote:In theory, yes. Unless you have 2 concurrent calls going on which Ooma Premier allows.

But speed isn't the only component at play for VoIP to work nicely.

Also, do a VoIP quality test: http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

Note: check the "Advanced" tab

murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

It looks like I`m out of luck. My QOS numbers are nowhere near what is needed & TCP delay also.
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (212.38 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
#110580 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 am
domm wrote:
lbmofo wrote:In theory, yes. Unless you have 2 concurrent calls going on which Ooma Premier allows.

But speed isn't the only component at play for VoIP to work nicely.

Also, do a VoIP quality test: http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

Note: check the "Advanced" tab

murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

It looks like I`m out of luck. My QOS numbers are nowhere near what is needed & TCP delay also.

For isolating this problem, connect a computer directly to the Modem, with everything else disconnected. Then run Phonepower Speedtest again to see if you get the same results.

If you get the same results, then the Modem is having problems, or the Internet provider signal is defective.

Check for splices, splitters or loose connections in the cable coming from the street. Tighten any loose connections. If possible, if there are splices, splitters, etc. try to temporarily bypass them and test again.

If you still are having problem, try another modem. If the Modem doesn't help, contact your Internet signal provider.

Or

If the Phonepower readings dramatically improve when the computer is connected directly to the Modem, then the problem is from the Modem to the Router or Ooma Telo. If the Router is connected directly to the Modem, try connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, then test again. Try replacing network cables.
#110600 by domm
Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm
Thanks for your suggestions thunderbird.

First I will explain my ISP connection. It is wireless with a small dish/receiver on my roof that receives the internet signal from a tower 1/2 mile from me. The Ethernet cable runs directly from the dish/receiver on my roof to my laptop. The bandwidth for the package I subscribe to has a maximum download of 1.5Mbps but that speed is labelled as the burst speed & this burst speed only lasts for a few seconds. Once the burst speed cap is meet the speed is then throttled down to a sustained speed of 600Kbps. The upload speed tops out at 500kbps & it also only lasts for a few seconds before it gets throttled down to a sustained 150Kbps. The link below explains how my package works. I have the Zoom package.
Maybe when the throttling down occurs, it negatively affects the phonepower test?

http://www.xplornet.com/traffic-management/canopy/

I was hoping the sustained upload speed of 150Kbps would be enough to let Ooma work for me but if the first test result I posted above & the second test I included in this post are not good enough I guess I am out of luck because to move up to an increased package would raise the price of my internet more then the savings I would be getting from moving from Bell Canada to Ooma. I live in a rural area that has no other internet providers.
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (217.91 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
#110601 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 pm
Wireless is not good for VoIP. The tcp delay you have would introduce a long delay. But you can try and see if you want.
#112639 by cleroks
Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:03 pm
I'm a new Ooma customer. Call quality has not been as good as I expected - about the same as the MagicJack Ooma replaced. My current ISP is Comcast and the Comcast connection has been terrible - up and down and very slow speed (for cable) - about 3-5Mpbs download/upload. I'm considering switching to DSL. My telephone provider (CenturyLink) only offers 4Mbps maximum speed but knowing DSL is dedicated vs cable's shared bandwidth can I expect better Ooma sound quality on a 3-4Mbps dedicated DSL line vs my current 3-5Mbps shared cable connection?

Thanks.

-Bob Young
#112640 by murphy
Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm
If you are getting 3-5 Mbps in both directions on Comcast there is a serious problem.
Comcast has an economy speed that does not work with VOIP because of the way they slow it down.
My Comcast speed is in the range of 20 down and 4 up.
#112643 by cleroks
Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Yes, something is seriously wrong with the Comcast connection. I used to get your speeds but it's dropped to 3-5Mbps download speeds for the past month. Comcast has been working on it for weeks but seems incapable of fixing it. That's why I'm considering DSL. At least DSL at the same speed I'm getting now is dedicated. Will DSL improve my Ooma sound quality given the slow cable speed I'm getting now?

Thanks.

Bob Young
#112645 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 pm
cleroks wrote:Yes, something is seriously wrong with the Comcast connection. I used to get your speeds but it's dropped to 3-5Mbps download speeds for the past month. Comcast has been working on it for weeks but seems incapable of fixing it. That's why I'm considering DSL. At least DSL at the same speed I'm getting now is dedicated. Will DSL improve my Ooma sound quality given the slow cable speed I'm getting now?

Thanks.

Bob Young

Have you tried another Modem?
#112657 by cleroks
Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:18 am
Comcast is supposed to swap the modem the next time they come out. That's part of the problem - they never show up for an appointment. I'm not really looking for troubleshooting advice for my current connection - Comcast should have the know-how to do that. What I'm asking is, is a DSL connection better than a cable connection of equivalent speed for Ooma performance (call quality)?

Thanks.

Bob Y.