This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82471 by JJHOTH
Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 am
This issue just started within the past 2 weeks. When a call comes in on the 2nd line(we are on a call on the first line) you can hear at the Telo and on a handset a hi pitched screach. All of the time the 2nd call is lost and some if not most of the time the 1st line call is dropped. Checked ststus for comm erros and have none. tested bandweidth from the telo and have 2mb so do not see this as an internet issue.

UPDATE : 08/17/2011

I was surprised at the outage this morning, I design and build data centers so having a partial power issue realy does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

I can also state I have done everything to fix my second line issue.. Just an hour ago a 2nd call came in while the wife was on the 1st line, the telo and all phones began to ring continuously an yup both calls were dumped. OOMA support PLEASE had to stop the wife from drop kicking the telo! I have set my folks up with a unit with the same service and equipment no issues.. I've been a huge supporter but this is getting old.. 20Mb download 5Mb upload bandwith is not a problem...

Any idea's ?
Last edited by JJHOTH on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#82472 by thunderbird
Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 am
JJHOTH wrote:This issue just started within the past 2 weeks. When a call comes in on the 2nd line(we are on a call on the first line) you can hear at the Telo and on a handset a hi pitched screach. All of the time the 2nd call is lost and some if not most of the time the 1st line call is dropped. Checked ststus for comm erros and have none. tested bandweidth from the telo and have 2mb so do not see this as an internet issue.

Any idea's ?

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.
#82575 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 am
PetalumaRealtor wrote:I have been having the same problem. I am set up modem-telo-switch-wifi. I have the setings set to use built in mac address. I hope to find a solution soon as my wife wants me to dump Ooma because of the problem.

If you continue to have problems:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here: (Do this test not during but right after you are having problems hearing).
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#82595 by PetalumaRealtor
Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Download Speed: _______30442 kbps_________
Upload Seed: ______4130 kbps__________
Download Consistency of Service ____99%____
Upload Consistency of Service ____92%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ______33ms_______
Jitter you server ____0.3 ms______
Jitter server you ____0.3 ms_____
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you ___0___
Packet discards ___0______
Packets out of order ____0_____
Estimated MOS score ___4.2_____

thunderbird

#82596 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:08 pm
PetalumaRealtor wrote:I have been having the same problem. I am set up modem-telo-switch-wifi. I have the setings set to use built in mac address. I hope to find a solution soon as my wife wants me to dump Ooma because of the problem.

PetalumaRealtor:
Your Speed Test results look very good. The way your Ooma is setup, it seems like Ooma shouldn't be the thing that is causing the problem.

But try one more Ooma thing. Try setting both of your Ooma Setup Advanced page Downstream and Upstream Internet Speed Quaulity of Service settings to zero. This usually wouldn't help, but since the last firmware update, QoS has behaved differently, so it's worth a try.

Another thing, I'm wondering if there is a problem with your phone system?
If you have a way to test with another phone, try temporarily disconnecting the phone system that you are using now, and test with a different phone connected to your Ooma device phone port. Then test.

Otherwise, maybe you should call Ooma Customer Service and see what they have to say.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#83182 by PetalumaRealtor
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:19 pm
Problem Corrected.
I found what was causing my problem. I had my telo right next to the base of my Panasonic cordless phone. When a second line rang the signals were interfering with each other trying to ring the telo handsets and the Panasonic handsets. I moved them about a foot apart and all is well. :D
#83184 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm
PetalumaRealtor wrote:Problem Corrected.
I found what was causing my problem. I had my telo right next to the base of my Panasonic cordless phone. When a second line rang the signals were interfering with each other trying to ring the telo handsets and the Panasonic handsets. I moved them about a foot apart and all is well. :D

Thanks for the feedback.
Last bumped by JJHOTH on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm.