This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82301 by murphy
Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm
vicw wrote:Thanks, Murtphy. I get that part. What's got me befuddled is how the Telo could apparently use over 2 mbps of the total bandwidth for a voice call, for the duration of a test, as the test results implied? How could it momentarily, let alone steadily, generate that much data flow? It doesn't add up to me, but maybe I'm still missing the obvious.

If the upstream QOS is set to 384 kbps the Telo will take most of that and throttle the connection through the Home port.
If you don't tell it what is really available it has no way to know that there is a big pipe available so it blocks the traffic so it can take what it needs. It's not using the 2 mbps, it's blocking the traffic because it doesn't know there is 2 mbps available. QOS is a traffic cop. It must know what the full flow rate is to be able to modulate the traffic. If you tell it that the max is 384, that is the max that will get through.
#82303 by vicw
Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm
Given that, I really don't get the purpose of having the customer run the test while an active call is open. It doesn't seem to provide any meaningful data, with respect to available bandwidth from the ISP. They have the customer considering an upgrade of his service, which will probably do nothing to improve his voice quality situation.
#82311 by thunderbird
Thu May 26, 2011 3:34 pm
vicw wrote:Given that, I really don't get the purpose of having the customer run the test while an active call is open. It doesn't seem to provide any meaningful data, with respect to available bandwidth from the ISP. They have the customer considering an upgrade of his service, which will probably do nothing to improve his voice quality situation.

Vicw:
Your reasoning makes sense to me.
#82330 by murphy
Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 pm
vicw wrote:Given that, I really don't get the purpose of having the customer run the test while an active call is open. It doesn't seem to provide any meaningful data, with respect to available bandwidth from the ISP. They have the customer considering an upgrade of his service, which will probably do nothing to improve his voice quality situation.

You are correct. A speed test should be run when nothing else is going on. Otherwise it is meaningless.
#82349 by tonyn999
Fri May 27, 2011 6:58 am
Thank for everyone's help. The consensus seems to be that leaving the upload and download speeds at 0 (effectively turning QoS off) should be fine for my relatively fast cable connection. When I had first purchased my Ooma Telo I thought I had done this, but I'm not 100% sure of this. If I continue to get intermittent call quality issues I'll try setting the upload/download speeds to 80% of the actual bandwidth. But given that I apparently have an excess of bandwidth I'm not sure how this will help. Certainly worth a try though.

With respect to jitter I did, as someone suggested, connect to my cable modem and found the following attributes that may relate to a relatively high jitter value:

Downstream: 585000000 Hz
Downstream: QAM: QAM256
Downstream Net Access Control Obj: ON
Downstream Powerlevel: 0dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36dB
Upstream Powerlevel: 41 dBmV

I'm not sure whether any of these are modifiable, and if they are I do not know whether changing any of them would affect jitter. Also, would a jitter of 11 ms result in garbled audio?

Mnay thanks!
#82362 by murphy
Fri May 27, 2011 9:02 am
tonyn999 wrote:Thank for everyone's help. The consensus seems to be that leaving the upload and download speeds at 0 (effectively turning QoS off) should be fine for my relatively fast cable connection. When I had first purchased my Ooma Telo I thought I had done this, but I'm not 100% sure of this. If I continue to get intermittent call quality issues I'll try setting the upload/download speeds to 80% of the actual bandwidth. But given that I apparently have an excess of bandwidth I'm not sure how this will help. Certainly worth a try though.

With respect to jitter I did, as someone suggested, connect to my cable modem and found the following attributes that may relate to a relatively high jitter value:

Downstream: 585000000 Hz
Downstream: QAM: QAM256
Downstream Net Access Control Obj: ON
Downstream Powerlevel: 0dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36dB
Upstream Powerlevel: 41 dBmV

I'm not sure whether any of these are modifiable, and if they are I do not know whether changing any of them would affect jitter. Also, would a jitter of 11 ms result in garbled audio?

Mnay thanks!

Those are very good numbers. Your signal levels are not causing a problem.