This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81813 by lobstarmike
Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 am
had same problem went to best buy bought a new modem links4200 179.00 phone works perfect know.i have time warner cable internet.comes through there router cable modem then to the links4200 then to telo from telo to the computer
#81814 by Rita
Sat May 21, 2011 5:17 am
Someone said they had this problem and bought Linksys E4200. Do you know if this is a good router and how it works with Ooma?

Right now my phone does work. I'm very nervous about getting a Linksys E4200. I took screen shots of my Ooma settings and current Linksys Router settings. If I were to get a Linksys E4200 are there directions someone on how to set it up with Ooma or do I try and copy the settings that I currently have with my old Linksys?

Is there someone on the Forum that tells you what the setup should be for Ooma behind Router or are the settings different for everyone because we have different internet carriers and different routers?

Thanks!!!!
#81815 by thunderbird
Sat May 21, 2011 6:32 am
Rita: I don't think your Router is defective.

Either your Modem needs to be reset or replaced; or your Internet connection coming into the house from the street has poor connections, and needs to be checked and re-done.

The first thing I would do:
If you rent your Modem, get a replacement modem from your Internet provider. If you are paying rent, they have to replace the modem if you want them to.

Next:
If you don't rent your Modem, call your Internet provider and have them help you do a Modem reset. A Modem reset loads all of the latest Information from the Internet provider and clears out errors.

For many people a Modem reset is all that needed to return the home Internet to normal.
#81818 by murphy
Sat May 21, 2011 6:44 am
Most cable modems will respond to the following:

http://192.168.100.1

Look at the Signal page to get the downstream signal level and Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and the upstream power level.
These will tell you (us) whether your signal levels are within range or you need a visit by your cable company to fix their cables.

Here is the data you are looking for from mine.

This page provides information about the current upstream and downstream signal status of your Cable Modem.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4 1 2 3
Frequency 711000000 Hz 723000000 Hz 729000000 Hz 717000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 37 dB 38 dB 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
1 dBmV 1 dBmV 1 dBmV 1 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 34200000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 7931
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 50 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4 1 2 3
Total Unerrored Codewords 14871977664 14871977787 14871977973 14871977448
Total Correctable Codewords 49 32 23 20
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1551 1531 1477 1556

I've highlited the items of interest in red.
#81820 by harry12
Sat May 21, 2011 7:03 am
Just my personal opinion but a Linksys E4200 is way overkill, for the average home . If you aren't trying to operate a home theater set-up and a business with a fax and two or three phone lines, forget it. There is a very popular online retailer that has some (~10) 'name' and 'no-name' routers for less than thirty dollars. Shipped. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name ( I might get 'egg' on my face ).

My Linksys experience: I'm on my second Linksys router, the first ( a WRT54G ) just up and died with maybe two weeks left on the warranty. I tossed it. My present one ( WRT160N ) has become heat sensitive, with an annoying reset. I'm gonna try a DD-WRT flash, as that has been claimed to make it run cooler. If it doesn't do the job, I'll get two of the cheapest sale units I can find and go from there.

I don't really need anything too fancy.
#81824 by Rita
Sat May 21, 2011 9:33 am
Thanks so much. I was going to go out today and buy the Linysys Route for $159. I'm trying to get into my router, but I guess I have the wrong password. I finally change the user name from admin to something else. I wrote it down, but I can't log in now. Do I just need to reset my router since the user name isn't working?

I need to go to work today, but I am exciting about trying your suggestion to see if it's my router or Comcast.net. I'll probably work on this more tomorrow, because I don't want to mess things up and leave my family w/o a phone.
#81829 by harry12
Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 am
Rita:
My Linksys router instructions say to:
RESET: There are two ways to reset the Router's factory defaults. Either press and hold the Reset Button for approximately five seconds, or restore the defaults from Administration>Factory Defaults in the Router's web based utility.

I don't suppose ten seconds would hurt, eh?
#81832 by thunderbird
Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am
Rita:
Type http://192.168.100.1 in your computer browser window. Your Modem pages should open.

Go back to Murphy's post and compare the values that he has written in in red.

Post those values here. Murphy is the expert in this area and you should follow his suggestions.

Thunderbird
#81896 by Rita
Sun May 22, 2011 1:20 pm
I have a Linksys Router – WRT54GS. I tried finding a "Signal page" put could not find anything. I called Comcast and said I was trying to find out what my Signal to Noise Ratio was. She said my SNI was 34 (in the Yellow). She said my Modem was showing up as GREEN (which meant it was working). I asked what the Upstream Bonding Channel Value was adn she said it was 41.1 (from Mr. Murphy's post it sseems it should be 50). The downstream was -2.6 (it looks like that needs to be 1. The Downstream is 34 (I think it needs to be 37). She did say that was showing up as YELLOW. My upstream was 29 (also Yellow). Comcast is coming tomorrow from 1-4 to check my settings so hopefully tomorrow I'll know more. If Comcast is OK then I guess it's my router.

I bought my router in 2007, and from an earlier post, someone said to just get a $30 router. Could someone recommend a specific model that they're using with Ooma around $30-$40.

Thanks!
#81897 by thunderbird
Sun May 22, 2011 1:45 pm
Rita:

Hold off on buying anything until Comcast finishes their checks.

Very important:

Tell Comcast that you Internet connection is very "INTERMITENT", with changing conditions.

Tell Comcast that your Internet connection is very good some times, and very bad at other times.

Tell Comcast that if you reboot the modem, things are better, but become much worse within a day or two.

Thunderbird